Skip to content

NPCs, Banters, and Side Quests

Okay so I'm trying to decide who I might find interesting to take along in my first playthrough, but I'm having trouble really seeing the difference in personalities between them all. I haven't really noticed any banter from any of the current NPCs I have with me. All I get is their war cry when attacking, or how they are pleased with the group when my reputation improves.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I simply have NPCs that have no banter? If it weren't for Neera I would be just as well off with a group of zombies! What am I missing?

Also, are there any NPCs that add side quests to complete, besides the quest they give you as a condition to joining the group? Safana and the pirate cave, Minsc rescuing Dynaheir, etc. are all interesting quests, but I'm just curious if some of them offer more later in the game. (No spoilers please, just the name of anyone who has extra side quests to complete later in the game).

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    There is very little in the way of banter for BG1 npc's and few have side-quests. Plus none interject in the story as far as I know (even when they arguably should, like having Jaheira in your party when meeting Harpers). BG1 doesn't really set the story quite as well as BG2 sadly.

Though I think there are various mods that tackle this and add banter and such.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    As RedGuard pointed out, you're really not missing anything; BG1 had no banter, and most NPCs didn't even have any PC dialogues.

These were added with the BG1NPC mod, which @cmorgan is currently working on porting to BG:EE -- but it's going to take a while as it's a complex mod.