Skip to content

Romance in BG1

2»

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    Merged the threads.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Folks that want romancing in BG1, you are missing an important positive to structurally binding contractual obligations strangling BG:EE's ability to expand exisiting content...

...you get the opportunity to give life to a mod of your own, on an engine that has 10+ years of error-correcting topped off by a pro team of folks moving forward from there. You have a commitment from the company to assist modders, and a community of modders who like to help new folks learn, so you have your choice of whatever tools they develop or use of tools the community has (and is improving based on collaboration and information sharing between the modders and the professional team).

So basically, you get a new opportunity to help create exactly what you want in the game. Become a modder. Yes, it is addicting, hair-tearing, and sometimes frustrating - but unlike almost every game out there, i.e. modding allows you to cooperatively weave what you want into the game and still let others do the same at the same time. Dialog modding and NPC creation/expansion is much easier than AI and rules-changes modding. We'll help.

And unlike other addictions, it is free!
    Just to add to what cmorgan said.

The BG1 NPC mod really is great, and hopefully it'll be easy to get it working with BGEE.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Because it's distinctly separated from the second half of the protagonists quest for Divinity, having a BG1 romance would feel laboured by the time you're halfway through BG2 and you have absolutely no contact with your romance. They won't be able to add those NPCs in the second game, after all.
    Adding new romances in BG2 seems fine, but an adrupt inclusion of 1 or 2 romances in BG1 when none existed previously just seems like a bit of a bizarre idea.
  • Kate_wiseKate_wise Member Posts: 12
    Subject of romances for the ladies: I originally read that Valygar was meant to be another romance option in BG2 but they didn't have enough time. I wonder what BeamDog's stance would be on un(der)developed material... still not permitted contractually?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @recklessheart Well... If they add a new NPC to BG1 and then add them in BG2 as well (like Edwin who appears in both but doesn't start in Irenicus' dungeon) then they could continue the relationship started in BG1.

Though as there's a thread already about original NPCs being overshadowed, this would be a bit unfair on Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    I sure hope they add some more male's to be romanced ^^ There's only 1 in BG2 and its a crappy char to romance to :( And would be even better if we had some gay/lesbian love in the game to. If a human can romance a drow then a male can romance a male! Then again, a simple male buddy who talks a lot would be fun to, doesn't have to be a "romance", a bromance would be nice to :P *Ramble ramble*
  • HinkelHinkel Member Posts: 14
    would it be possible for them to help the author of a mod like npc project in rewritting some dialogue for example and then make it an "developer approved" mod?
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Is this npc mod worth playing? Is the writing done properly? I was thinking of playing it, the conversations is good writen? I started yesterday,played up to friendly arm in, but I was actually alittle anoyed by Imonens talking, seems alittle stupid, or imature... Shall I give it a shoot anyways?
    Well, Imoen is supposed to be a little immature in BG1.

I think that the BG1 NPC mod is great.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Thanks, I will give it a try then. Cant wait untill I meet Edwin and Minsc.

But I hope that bgee will make it possible to get close to friends, or get an working togheter/hate relationship. It would be fun if it was more realations witch doesnt neasesary ends in romance, but perhaps an backstabbing or something like that.

Nwn2 and first expansion was actually pritty good in that aspect. They could make 1 reputation witch counted for the hole party, and 1 seperately reputations between your companions and your main char. Whit reactions acording to actions. Example. main char desides to do X and not Y, even though your druid beg you not to do it. Consequenses would be great, should not be to hard to get into the game story as it is.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    sepotter said:

Agreed, alternatively I would like brand new characters in which you can romance starting in bgee and go all the way through TOB.

Hey look, I'm actually getting what I wanted back in July.
    Awesome.