Skip to content

Is any kit or class a "must have"?

I know it's great to have a thief for disarm traps and lock picks. A cleric or druid provide healing.
Besides those, are there any other "must have(s)"?

Comments

• MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    Well, you will probably need someone who is adept at not dying in a single hit early on. So any fighter type would be good for this (Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin/Ranger). A tank is important and in honesty fighter classes are better damage dealers for the most part if not all of the game.
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    I believe Mages are must haves as well, especially when dealing with other mages. They provide the best ways to remove magical protections so your fighter types can beat them down easier. This is true for BG!, and even more true for BG2, where a mage is pretty much a requirement.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You want to hit the four roles:

Fighter
    Cleric
    Mage
    Thief

HOW you fill these roles is up to you. If you can disarm all the traps like a stick disarms a bear trap and cast knock on all the locked things, you've filled the Thief role. Doesn't matter you didn't take a thief to do it.

The game is static. There are things have have to be done and trials to overcome. It doesn't matter HOW you do it, but you need to do it. If you can ignore traps because you have enough health, they're dealt with. If you take a thief to disarm them, they are also dealt with.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2012
    There are only four must haves: a fighter/tank, a thief, a mage and a cleric.

Let's call them: the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover.

How to fill these slots: that's the great art of this game.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    In my opinion, the number one thing you need, especially as a beginner, is someone who can stand in a doorway and hold the line. There are many different classes with many different tools for this sort of thing, but you really, really need that tank.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Agreed, the tank is critical. In the early levels, it will be anyone with enough Con/Hp to be hit more than once. Having that one beefy dude or dudette in the front with a big shield to absorb all the missile attacks is absolutely essential if you don't want to constantly reload. Your mages and thieves will be toast if they get targeted by ranged attackers prior to level 4ish.

Khalid, Jaheira, Ajantis, and somewhat Montaron are all possible tanks for you right out of the gate. You'll have more options later on.

You can get through the whole game without a mage or a cleric, it's not recommended, but it's do-able. You can get through most of the game without a thief, although end game traps will kill anyone with less than 80 hp and beware bouncing lightning bolt traps.

The tank on the other hand, will be the difference between constant frustration and constant leveling.
  • pedrorqpedrorq Member Posts: 54
    Thank you all for your suggestions!
    How many of those roles be filled by multiclasses? As you've said, for example, the tank can be a F/D. Can, for example, the Cleric and the Mage be rolled into a C/M?
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    Mages are hard to handle and keep alive in BG, and to begin with at least, not very useful; their power grows exponentially as they increase in level. (sleep is massively useful in BG, it has to be said, mind). Therefore, you don't *need* one in your group, so long as you have some ability to deal with opponent mages. Since many of the low-level mage defense spells are illusion-based, taking an extra thief and maxing out their detect illusion and stealth skills will give you a very credible caster-killer; stealth, glide in behind, drop the knife betwix't the shoulder blades and hit "detect traps" as the mage freaks and throws out mirror image, only to have the spell immediately melt under the careful eye of your rogue. Coup de grace to finish.

Oh, seems to have gone off a bit into a tangent there. My mistake!

Essential class = any class that can cast Heal and/or wear plate-mail or better armour. You are fragile at levels 1-5 and you need big sheets of metal to keep away all the terrible things that want to murder you horribly.

It's easier to answer the question "what class do I *not* need?", and that answer would probably begin with "bard", and end with "druid".

• VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    pedrorq said:

Thank you all for your suggestions!
    How many of those roles be filled by multiclasses? As you've said, for example, the tank can be a F/D. Can, for example, the Cleric and the Mage be rolled into a C/M?

Oh, yes, I believe you can be a Mage/Cleric, and it's a very solid support class. I wouldn't have one as my main unless I wanted to present myself with a serious tactical challenge; they will level slowly and gain few HP per increase, making them very fragile indeed. On the other hand, the spell combos they can pull off once they get access to third-circle spells and beyond are *delicious*.

Fighter-Thief is also a very solid choice with good long-game prospects. Fighter-mage; also good. Kensai-mage: positively game-breaking (but that's a dual class and I really shouldn't have mentioned it because they are shameful in their cheese-factor). Fighter-cleric and thief-cleric are also both possible and very useful in what they bring to the party.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    In short...no...nothing is "must have" else my solo full saga Wizard slayer run would've been impossible...boring...and a bit more difficult..but do-able.

Though having at least one each of the classical four archetypes would make things smoother. A Warrior, a thief, a mage, a cleric, and a jack of all trades bard to round things out...well and one token evil team mate since things get a little boring without a little inter-party conflict.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    No.

The closest thing to "must have" is a thief, because disarming traps is essential to survival, usually.
  • No.

The closest thing to "must have" is a thief, because disarming traps is essential to survival, usually.

Not to mention that you can miss out on quite a bit of good loot. As I've recently discovered, there are a lot of chests you can't force open with even a 19 STR.

While you don't necessarily need any particular archetype (you can successfully solo with most classes, after all), I think for convenience's sake, you want a tank, a thief, and a healer. Mages are wonderfully powerful, and I wouldn't consider making a party without one under normal circumstances, but there's nothing they provide that you can't replace with enough applied damage/healing (at least in BG1, where the mage defenses aren't capable of completely shutting your attackers down).

That said, I wouldn't say that any of those roles require a dedicated, single class character. Anything multiclassed with a fighter with good Con will have both the HP and the ability to use heavy armor that enables them to tank, and there's enough experience to be had early on in quests that don't involve locks/traps that a multiclass thief has time to build those skills up. Multiclass mages and clerics/druids get enough spells to fill those needs without having to be single-classed, especially if you use memorization aids like the Ring of Wizardry and the Ring of Holiness.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Helias said:

Let's call them: the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover.

Ooh, I love that movie.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Half-Orc Swashbuckle thief works as a tank/dps/thief(without backstab)/fighter.
    Blade works as a arcane caster with godly fighting abilities in the late game.
    I personally dont find clerics all that usefull so i would go with druid instead (insect spells are godly).
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    In general you want someone to do enough damage with just hitting stuff and taking some damage. The fighting type classes are best at that but thieves and clerics can fill that role too. Clerics will even become better at the tanking role in later levels because of their self protection spells.

Then there is the thief. This role isn't needed if you have know the game well enough or if you are willing to reload more often. There isn't that much to miss if you can't open all containers and there is still the knock spell if you want to open something and if you know where the traps are they aren't so much a problem anymore. So the main draw that is left is someone that can backstab. Swashbucklers are also great fighters which can get better than real fighters especially at high levels.

Then you have the cleric. He can be replaced by a druid. They are useful for their buffs. The healing is only good at low levels inside of combat or when you have access to level 5 spells for heal. You need one simply because resting until healed takes days without one. Note that druids don't get a resurrection spell with Jaheira being the exception.

THen we have mages. They are needed for attack spells and croud controll/disabling stuff. They also have some buffs.

• TheBubblerumTheBubblerum Member Posts: 6
    Mage/cleric with the familiar spell has decent HP at the start.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    The game has been completed, solo, with every class/race combo, so I'd say nothing is essential. Having a balanced party (tank, thief, cleric, mage) is sure to make your life easier though.