Skip to content

Unbelievable!!!

2»

Comments

• queviequevie Member Posts: 3
    I purchased this under the impression "enhanced & updated" multi-player would be part of the package... it was even listed on the website!

This multi-player has more bugs than the original copy of BG I already owned. They should have been far more clear early on as to what their "updated multi-player" actually consisted of; I guess I was stupid for assuming something that had ease of use and worked consistently, rather than the pita + requires extra software to actually run.

I'm really frustraited and feel let down.
  • RuseRuse Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2012
    This makes me glad I can't play till Christmas. A big reason we bought two copies of this was multiplayer (and because we were never able to get multiplayer to work properly with the original). If I still have to try to use Hamachi (which, as I said, didn't work for more than my husband and me) ... what happened to the match-making?

It really, really needs to happen. Even trying lots of workarounds/port forwarding etc., we never did get the original to allow us to play with a third. I'd probably not have asked for this if I'd known I was still facing those same issues.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    quevie said:

I purchased this under the impression "enhanced & updated" multi-player would be part of the package... it was even listed on the website!

This multi-player has more bugs than the original copy of BG I already owned. They should have been far more clear early on as to what their "updated multi-player" actually consisted of; I guess I was stupid for assuming something that had ease of use and worked consistently, rather than the pita + requires extra software to actually run.

I'm really frustraited and feel let down.

The original copy had over 400 bugs. Singleplayer and Multiplayer.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5239/fixed-forum-compiled-list-pt-1/p1 - Part 1 of the fixed bugs.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3625/fixed-forum-compiled-list-pt-2#latest - Part 2 of the fixed bugs.

I doubt the Multiplayer in this Enhanced Version had more bugs than your original BG 1 copy multiplayer.

The developers are working constantly to fix the problems that players are having. That includes you.
    They are a small team (Developers) programming many things in many hours a day. They feel the exact frustration that you feel. Try sitting at a computer all day as your job...I used to do it at a call-center. The developers have twitter accounts and post on it every day.

Ruse said:

This makes me glad I can't play till Christmas. A big reason we bought two copies of this was multiplayer (and because we were never able to get multiplayer to work properly with the original). If I still have to try to use Hamachi (which, as I said, didn't work for more than my husband and me) ... what happened to the match-making?

It really, really needs to happen. Even trying lots of workarounds/port forwarding etc., we never did get the original to allow us to play with a third. I'd probably not have asked for this if I'd known I was still facing those same issues.

The match-making is still in the process of being released at some point. I am sure it will be when the biggest issues that players are experiencing are fixed. Give it time. The game has only been out a week.

http://findports.com/document.php?tag=baldurs-gate - Try adding those ports. I am guessing you didn't know of these ports. Their the ports to the original game as was 47630.

I played with 3 others in this game and recorded it. Largest number is 4.
  • RuseRuse Member Posts: 23

Ruse said:

http://findports.com/document.php?tag=baldurs-gate - Try adding those ports. I am guessing you didn't know of these ports. Their the ports to the original game as was 47630.

We did try the port forwarding thing at the time if I recall. I appreciate the link (sincerely) but I probably will just not bother until that gets fixed. We spent a lot of time on it a several months ago and it just isn't worth it to me trying to go through all that again. If I'd wanted to do that, I'd have stuck with the fan fixes and the gog.com versions we bought.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    Ruse said:

Ruse said:

We did try the port forwarding thing at the time if I recall. I appreciate the link (sincerely) but I probably will just not bother until that gets fixed. We spent a lot of time on it a several months ago and it just isn't worth it to me trying to go through all that again. If I'd wanted to do that, I'd have stuck with the fan fixes and the gog.com versions we bought.

Never give up. :)
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    First off, I am not writing this to flame anyone. The bottom line here is that the game falsely advertised improved multiplayer and matchmaking capabilities. The main promotional tool (the website) is blatantly lying. I know it's not in an effort to mislead but that was the result. Saying on release in the client that it is in beta, was insufficient.

To argue that it requires "simple fixes" missed the point. I love the game and what overhaul is doing but that doesn't mean I can't see the issues.

Granted a little civility on the forums would go a long way!
  • PapaSmurphPapaSmurph Member Posts: 3

Granted a little civility on the forums would go a long way!

If that comment is directed at me, I apologize for the lack of civility in my post. I'm just pretty mad about the blatant lying. I'm thrilled that BGEE has been done, I just wish they had clearly communicated that multiplayer was non-functional (or as least extremely buggy). In fact, I played the original games in multiplayer without all these issues, so I think I can say that BGEE has more multiplayer bugs than BG originally had. That's what got me so mad. Well, that and all the posters on this forum who keep suggesting that people having issues with the game should just be happy with the problems and stop mentioning that issues exist. Those are the kind of posts that made "fan" a bit of a bad word.

In the long term, covering up issues will lead to more bad feelings and lost revenue than admitting that multiplayer is broken and will not get fixed until after the iOS release is done.

So, I apologize for being grumpy.

• GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    @PapaSmurph Not directed at you, just a comment based on general observations of the forum.
  • PapaSmurphPapaSmurph Member Posts: 3
    We just updated to Update 5 (Dec. 14 release) and found the three player multiplayer to be MUCH more stable. We rested in an inn (multiple times), transitioned areas several times, traded equipment, etc. all without crashes.

We had one issue where we were reloading and the other two players showed as available, but me (the host computer) was not available. I mean I was on the character arbitration screen and two players showed up and could be assigned characters, but I was not on the list of players. Weirdest thing. So, we all just exited the game and restarted.

Therefore, it's not perfect, but it's a marked improvement from pre-patch. Thanks Overhaul Games, I do appreciate the effort!
  • ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32
    20+ dollars with "new and improved multiplayer functionality", don't even start defending the publisher. He was cheated out of something the website says the game has. The multiplayer being this crappy is unforgiveable unless you warn people about it with big fat letters before they buy it.

I don't see any problems about the GUI though? Worked fine for me and I'm playing on a 24" samsung LED, looks great.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I know this doesn't erase the issue of the website being out-of-date (because that's what it is; I don't think that description has been updated since August), but Trent did say numerous times on Twitter (and it was reposted on the forums numerous times as well) that the multiplayer was in beta. Of course, they didn't send out a press release, and they didn't update the website (which I will agree they should have done), but you can't say that they weren't [at least partially] transparent about the multiplayer status. The fact is that they're working to improve the multiplayer, but ran out of development time to make it what it was supposed to be. So it's currently in Beta, which means that it's going to be improved.

The website being wrong is an oversight, not a deliberate deception. I understand people are frustrated, but if you say that they were deliberately lying, expect some people to come and dispute the point.
  • ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32
    No offense AOSAW, but give me access to the website and I will have that text fixed in less than 2 minutes... we both know it doesn't exactly take more than the time it takes to open a textfile and change som text to remove that piece of false advertisement. Everday that text is still there they are definently not gaining any reputation points.
    edited December 2012
    *sigh*

I know. Believe me, I know. I'm saying that they've been too busy working on the actual game to think about whether the site needs updating or not. It's entirely possible that they put that note up there, and forgot that it might have been worded incorrectly.

In any case, that's all I came in to say: that it wasn't an intentional deception. I've already let them know that the website is a concern and needs to be updated. I know that doesn't make up for the last couple of months, but I hope you understand that I feel a little taken aback when the first thing everyone assumes is that Beamdog was intentionally deceiving you when they forgot to update their website--and even more so when people don't believe me when I say it outright.

And especially when I see statements like "Don't even try to defend them". Sorry, but if you're allowed to complain about the same things over and over again (despite countless apologies and numerous patches and explanations as to what happened and what's being done to fix the situation), then other people are allowed to say that it's not that bad.
    Post edited by Dee on
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    The way I see it I waited 14 years for this. I can play a game or two with any imperfections and come back in a 1-4 months and do another pass through.
  • XriahXriah Member Posts: 25
    Aosaw said:

I hope you understand that I feel a little taken aback when the first thing everyone assumes is that Beamdog was intentionally deceiving you when they forgot to update their website--and even more so when people don't believe me when I say it outright.

I'm sorry, but as a customer who spent $40 (two copies) based on the misinformation given on their front page, it's hard not to think that. Intentional or unintentional, they are benefitting financially from this deceit, and continue to do so as more and more new customers come in and buy this product for a smooth multiplayer experience complete with matchmaking.

Intentional or unintentional, there's no excuse not to correct this issue immedately. It is a very easy change to the website, and you yourself mentioned that you have made the team aware of the problem. They cannot be so busy as to not have it done this week.

If friday rolls around and nothing has been changed, there will be no doubt in my mind that this deceit is intentional. At that point, I can't remain quiet and just let people continue to be cheated out of their money. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    MP works - quite strange tbh. various pfp (gameranger, hamachi, tuungle) are working to an extend.

However MP remains highly bugged even with the above. So far I'm able to play with a max of 2 persons, if we go 3 or above it chokes on every cinematic, map change, rest, etc.

What I don't get is, if a single test by someone like me, a nobody, when it comes to technical network gaming knowlegde, could conclude this, how come some who potentially knows a fragment more haven't?

And if they did, why not share the information with the community?
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    Many bugs and their respective workarounds can be found on this forum already.
    The day-night cycle bug was a bit annoying to figure out at first but alot of bugs can be avoided, even if the 'solutions' may be a bit convoluted.

Things will get better, have some patience (only 9.95, order now to get your patience at half price!)

btw
    Xriah said:

they are benefitting financially from this deceit...

you really think if they wanted this to happen they'd ever get BG2 off the ground? think about it man, they want this least of all, well maybe not least... :)
  • XriahXriah Member Posts: 25
    Liberelli said:

you really think if they wanted this to happen they'd ever get BG2 off the ground? think about it man, they want this least of all, well maybe not least... :)

Well, im sure they wanted to have the multiplayer work right out of the gate. I also want to be able to ride a pegasus in to work.

Unfortunately, it hasn't turned out that way. I don't think anyone's stupid enough to think that they wanted it to turn out this way. I have thought about this. The success of BG:EE will determine any future hopes of BG2:EE. They need sales of this game. And you cannot deny that this deceit is benefitting them financially. No, it's not good for their reputation and building trust with their customers, but people are buying the game that wouldn't if they had known the truth. That equates to a better chance of getting BG2:EE off the ground.

Another day has passed, and no changes have been made to the claims on the front page.
  • j0ker11j0ker11 Member Posts: 9
    i am sad ..i want to play with my friends.
  • AvariAvari Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2012
    With regard to the UI I found a post in the danish sub-forum, that suggested a scaling modification, that makes the UI look much better on large screens (24'' wide screen myself with 1920x1080 res).

The post is in danish, but here's the link so you can see the difference it makes:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10047/konfigurationsmulighedermodificering

I think you can make out how to change the scale even though the post is in danish, but just to translate anyway, you have to go to your "baldur.ini" file and add:

'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

I believe that with a vanilla installation it will just read:

'Graphics',

So you add the:

'Scale UI', '0',

If you open with a text program instead of notepad it's easier to find your way around the file, since the text will be structured with tabulators and stuff instead of 5-7 long lines in notepad.
  • NecavitNecavit Member Posts: 23
    The least they could do is give us an idea when we can expect the multiplayer servers.
  • VoidSorcererVoidSorcerer Member Posts: 33
    Necavit said:

The least they could do is give us an idea when we can expect the multiplayer servers.

Amen - That is all
    I believe I already posted the answer to that question, @Necavit: "some time in the next couple months".
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    lol i still think it's funny how some ppl think they're raking in the big bucks because their product isnt working... yes loss of support reults in more revenue im sure... gj
  • NecavitNecavit Member Posts: 23
    May I have the direct source please?
  • ZamielZamiel Member Posts: 15
    Look at this!!!!! : http://s7.directupload.net/images/121220/yzq9nuju.jpg

Thats what Trent Oster said today about the future of the multiplayer...
    So all we can expect is a matchmaking system where one player still have to be the host, which will change F*ING NOTHING for those who can't play today, because it stays entirely the same except that you don't have to enter the IP adress of your friend. Ports still have to be forwarded etc. pp. and all the connection problems for those people will stay! I expected a system over the beamdog servers or a rework of the games multiplayercode that would match todays network setups of most internet users. This is a big slap in our faces in my opinion.

I feel sorry for all those fanboys who don't want to face reality and defend the developer for their crappy work and flame me and others who think like me in very rude words. I'm a big, no a very big, fan of the baldurs gate series too, but all nostalgia and the happiness about a rerelease of the game couldn't let me ignore the fact that BGEE is just a waste of money and not the rework that this game should have deserved.

I hoped and asked often for a BG3 if BGEE 1 and 2 would be a financial success, but now I hope they won't make it, because I think they can't. This studio is too small to lift big or even just complex productions in my opinion. Even this project was one number to big for them to be done in a reasonable time.

I know my words and opinions are very hard, but I think they are true.
    I neglected to post a clarifying message here, for which I apologize.

This thread and this one are about the same thing, with largely similar content, so I've closed this one. Please continue discussing the topic in the other thread.

Because it wasn't abundantly clear from an earlier post, this is not an attempt to condemn or silence anyone. Please continue to discuss the issues you're having with Multiplayer in the other thread. I'm just trying to reduce the forum clutter.

That is all.
    ~Aosaw
This discussion has been closed.