Skip to content

What happened to the Defend/Guard ability?

PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
edited January 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
What happened to the Defend/Guard Bottom Menu Button? Some Classes have it and some don't. It doesn't appear to be working for the Classes that do have it.

The original Baldur's Gate allowed any Class to use the Defend/Guard ability. Check out this Halfling Thief in the image below.

In BGEE, my Thief doesn't even have a Defend/Guard ability, as shown in the image below.

If I select a Fighter, I can see he has the Guard ability. But, when I select it, the Bottom Menu Button doesn't highlight and the cursor doesn't change to the Guard cursor. When I try to select an area to Guard, I end up making a square selection marquee only. (See the image below).

Perhaps it's now meant to work that way. Maybe only certain Classes can use it and only to protect an individual party member. If so, I'm going to miss the ability to Defend an area. image
Post edited by Perusoe on

Comments

• RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    yeah i believe only fighter classes have the defend ability now
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    Riolathel said:

yeah i believe only fighter classes have the defend ability now

Okay, thanks! And I guess you can no longer select an area to Defend? You can just Defend an individual party member? I still think the Defend Button should highlight so you can tell it's working. (But, that's just my opinion).

Anyway, I appreciate the info.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    I had no idea anybody actually used defend.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I never even knew what it did, haha. Never really thought about it either.
    A strategy I used in the original Baldur's Gate was to have my two front-line Fighter's draw a Defend circle around the party when enemies were sighted. Then, instead of my Fighters advancing to the enemy, leaving my weaker characters behind, they'd stand their ground and wait for the enemy to enter the "field of protection". If an enemy advanced on one of my weaker characters, like a Mage, one of my Fighters would pursue it while I repositioned my Mage. You could also use Defend on a single character and that character would be protected by the defender if they were attacked. It was really a great ability to have.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    This is why I still prefer the original BG1 engine. BG2 engine messed too much with the BG1 mechanics.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Not really necessary with scripts imho.
    edited December 2012
    bob_veng said:

Not really necessary with scripts imho.

I can appreciate that. Using Defend along with Scripts, however, allowed greater control over your characters. Also, using Defend defined the area that was protected. You could make the area of protection as small as selecting just one of your party members or draw a selection that filled the screen. The important thing was the defender would never leave the area of protection you defined, but would attack any hostile that entered it.

In my BG gaming experience, I found myself in situations where I felt I needed to turn the AI off, so I could manually control all my characters. Then, there were times when I wanted the AI on. The Defend/Guard ability could be used with or without the Scripts and gave me that much more control. :-D
    Post edited by Perusoe on
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    I agree with @Perusoe
    Just because it can be worked around, doesn't mean it should be.