Skip to content

BGEE Journal Entries clipped

PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
edited December 2012 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Some of the Journal Entries are clipped. I noticed this when my party entered the area east of the ambush site (AR2800) and encountered the Old Man (Elminster) for the first time. After our conversation, my Journal was updated. When I accessed the Journal to read the comment, the top line was clipped, as shown in the yellow box of the image below.

Luckily, with this new game engine, I was able to double-click in the Journal to open the in-game editor and read it.

I then clicked "Cancel" and returned to the game.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Perusoe You can scroll text by clicking and dragging, although it is currently a pain to find an area in the Journal that doesn't go into edit mode when you try this.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    mouse wheel still doesn't work on that screen? Maybe it is in the next patch then.
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    Jalily said:

@Perusoe You can scroll text by clicking and dragging, although it is currently a pain to find an area in the Journal that doesn't go into edit mode when you try this.

If you look at the first image in the OP, there's no scroll bar, so there's nothing to scroll. I tried left-click-dragging the page, but nothing happened. Doing this didn't put me in edit mode though. I double-clicked to do that. But thanks for the suggestion!

mouse wheel still doesn't work on that screen? Maybe it is in the next patch then.

The mouse wheel was the second thing I tried, before double-clicking into edit mode. Nope, that didn't work either. Although, on the Journal's Prologue Screen, when there was a scroll bar on the right side, I was able to use the mouse wheel to scroll. So, it's not the mouse.

At least I can read the entries in edit mode. And the next time I get a Journal Update, everything will get bumped down so I can read it when I don't need it anymore. image
  • TokieTokie Member Posts: 18
    You can left click on the journal screen and drag up and down to scroll. Not the best solution, but hopefully they will fix the mouse wheel soon.
    Okay, people keep telling me to click-drag the Journal Screen and I thought that was the first thing I tried. I'm running the game right now, in a window and tried click-dragging. It is working as Jalily and Tokie described, so I apologize to both of you. And yes Jalily, it keeps going into edit mode when I try to drag the Screen and that is annoying. I also tried the mouse wheel again, but that still only works on Screens with a scroll bar.

Also, I started this thread before the v1.0.2009 update (or at least, before I ran the update), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I see there's another update now. I guess I'll run that and see what happens next.

Thank you everyone for your input.
    I'm currently playing the original Baldur's Gate and I think I've discovered something.

When your Journal is updated, the entry is placed at the bottom of the page and the page automatically scrolls to the bottom. This way, when you open the Journal, you're looking at the latest entry. However, there's a scroll bar on the right side of the Journal page once the page begins to get full. You can use the scroll bar or mouse wheel to scroll the page. The original game does not allow click-dragging to scroll and there's no edit mode. (I'm playing the original as it installed from the DVD, without mods).

So, in BGEE, the Journal page is not clipping the top line. It is auto-scrolling to the bottom of the Journal page (I believe). But, no scroll bar is appearing and scrolling any other way is unpredictable. Also, in BGEE, the latest Journal entries are not being placed at the bottom of the page, but at the top instead, which is why my first impression was that the top line was being clipped.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Purusoe It's got to be a bug that there isn't a scroll bar on those entries. If you want to avoid going into EDIT mode when you click-drag to scroll it, take the mouse off the journal entry and hover over something non-journaly before you release the button.
    edited December 2012
    agris said:

@Purusoe It's got to be a bug that there isn't a scroll bar on those entries. If you want to avoid going into EDIT mode when you click-drag to scroll it, take the mouse off the journal entry and hover over something non-journaly before you release the button.

Great idea! Thanks. image