Skip to content

New autors to baldurs gate ee?

FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
To the developers, I gues they read through here once in a while. Have you tried getting M.Weis&T.Hickman as an author? Or Salvatore? Or one of the other great forgotten realms autors?
The old playeble npc need more dialouge as they sayed to little in bg1 and had to little story around them. It was amasing for a game in 1998, but now we expect more.

I remeber reading an interview whit, I belive it was Weis, that sayed in a couple of years you will be able to play fanasy books on your computer, this was in 1997 or 98, I would belive she would jump on an opurtunity like this ;-) Or even better, get B.Sandors to write!

The story is great, I like this more mandane story line where they way untill the end whit making us save the hole bloody world, but the char. need more back story. And personality. God, you can make this an great game if you doesnt rush it, get some autors witch know forgotten realms and take this game to new heights!

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Dave Gross has published FR books, and he's the one writing the new story segments in the BGEE.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2012
    Dave the rocket sientist? Would you recomend reading him then? What does FR mean?

I have registered his name, just googled him and it was in fact the rocket sientist,hehe, but I havnt read anything from him. To mutch good reading material now a days.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    forgotten realms?
    Forgotten Realms?
    F R ?
    F R?
    FR?

Dave Gross?
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4spot/20110609
    http://www.o-love.net/realms/auth_gro.html

Internets are wonderful places, aren't they.

I couldn't find a B. Sandors who writes fantasy. There's a B. Sandor who's a therapist, and one who's a musician, and one who does work for an HIV awareness organization. Which did you mean?
    Lol, ofcourse, forgoten realms. hehe. Early in the morning here. And yes, internet is a wonderful place, but i havnt used it for a very long time so whats seems like 2+2 to you doesnt seems like 2+2 to me.
  • JJ1897JJ1897 Member Posts: 11
    Hiring fantasy writers to work on cRPGs seems natural and that's what they did ;)

I don't mean to be rude, but talking about any book while seriously raping the English language (by "raping" I mean being unable to write a single sentence without making a mistake) seems like a hell of a perversion.

I strongly recommend using a spell-checker, out of the respect for any future readers.
    JJ1897 said:

Hiring fantasy writers to work on cRPGs seems natural and that's what they did ;)

I don't mean to be rude, but talking about any book while seriously raping the English language (by "raping" I mean being unable to write a single sentence without making a mistake) seems like a hell of a perversion.

I strongly recommend using a spell-checker, out of the respect for any future readers.

haha, well, of the 4 language I speak, my english grammar isn't very good. But my grammar is very good in norwegian,sweedish or danish, can you say the same? How well do you spell and put togheter sentence on the language you speak 4th best? ;-P

But it is nothing wrong whit my reading skills, I have read alot on enlish as it is the language most writer use.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @JJ1897 - If you feel the need to explain why you used "rape" as metaphore before anyone even says anything about it, then it's probably not a very fitting metaphore.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    JJ1897 said:

I don't mean to be rude...

For not intending to be rude you sure as hell nailed it :P

• JJ1897JJ1897 Member Posts: 11
    @FillaFillason - If you aren't a particularly lazy native speaker (as I thought you were), then it's even stranger that you haven't learnt the correct spelling in the first place ;)

Did you intend to be funny with this bit about being fluent in Norwegian, Danish and Swedish?
    "speakers of the three largest Scandinavian languages (Danish, Norwegian and Swedish) can read each others' languages without great difficulty. This holds especially true of Danish and Norwegian"

"In general, Danes and Norwegians will fluently understand the other language with only a little training." and so on

I guess you're a true polyglot :-) Ah, it's a pity Icelandic has changed little since the Medieval times and it's still very similar to Old Norse rather than modern Scandinavian languages. Otherwise, you could say you're fluent in Icelandic too, how cool is that?

And you're excused for being lazy! Forgive me! Never mind my advice to use a spell-checker! :)

@scriver - I clarified the term "rape" so that my Scandinavian friend wouldn't think I was referring to 50cent & co, the difference in spelling is minute.
    edited July 2012
    Try to get an norwegian to speak danish, or to understand a danish man, or reverse. They are not as simular as you might get the expression of when only looking at the writing language. Norway use the danish writing, making it pritty hard for young lads to learn norwegian, as the writing language doesnt reflect the spoken language. And ofcourse we learn "new norwegain", witch is very diffrent, yet pritty simular to regular norwegian writing( the danish writing). Everyone on school has to learn this kind of norwegian. We also has lost more grammar rules etc. making eatch norwegian language harder to learn than other language. As for

So you have an point when claiming that scandianavian speaks the same language, but you are actually alittle wrong... :-) I also manage to make me understood talking german and french, but thouse i have big trouble getting the grammar and pronounce but I get by. How many language do you "master"? ;-p

And i have almost never written in english, only read, making it hard for me to pick up on the right way to spell words or form sentence in my head, as i think on norwegian and translate. Completely difrent grammar making it hard to form sentence. We also have 7 ways of writing : run/ran/ran . But I actually has a big vocabulary, if I can remeber that i know the word.

But as I was made aware, they have captured an very decent writer :-)

Peace
    Post edited by FillaFillason on
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    And no, I'm not the rocket scientist, although we have the same middle initial, and I initially went to college on a Physics scholarship. When the other David J. Gross won the Nobel prize for Astrophysics, an old high-school classmate sent me a letter of congratulations, thinking it was me.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Dave : At least it was a nice thought :)
  • SkinnyDSkinnyD Member Posts: 28
    @FillaFillason
    @JJ1897

I don't mean to be rude, but isn't the underlying purpose of human communication the ability to successfully convey thoughts and ideas? I completely understood what FillaFillason was writing, therefore language had served its purpose. I would see no urgent need to chastise him (or her) other than perhaps from agitated boredom.

Besides, we're polyglots as well aren't we? I'm dun shoore we kin spaek a right gud amoont of Scottish dinnay ye think? An' kiss me blarney, Im'ma fair bit cert'n dat we havva thourah grasp ah Irish, unlike sammather puir wee souls about. AND AVAST YE SCURVY BARNACLE'D SCALLYWAGS, BY POSEID'NS THICK SKULL WE DEFINALLY SPEAK PIRATE IF'N WE PLEASE.

I just did both an American History X and a Shawshank Redemption on the English language but I'm fairly certain you understood me. No need for bellyaching is there?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited July 2012

Wasn´t the topic´s title ?
    lordkim said:

Well, I gues I have to read a book from D.Gross. to see how he writes. Tips to where to start anyone?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    You can find his two FR books in the opening posts of this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/722/dave-gross-joins-as-writer-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

His more recent work is in the Pathfinder setting.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    @FillaFillason

For something set in the Realms, try Black Wolf (or perhaps begin with The Halls of Stormweather). For something more recent, perhaps Prince of Wolves or Master of Devils.
    @Dave

I will try the sembia series then. Thank you
  • SkinnyDSkinnyD Member Posts: 28
    lordkim said:

I apologize for assisting in the derailment of this thread.

All I will say then is if R.A. Salvatore ever writes for a BG game and does to Solaufein what he did to Drizzt, I'm going to have an apoplectic aneurysm.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    I was glad to see Black Wolf come back into print. When I was collecting realms books after having fallen behind over a few years I noticed that Black Wolf had a listing price on some Amazon market places over $600. I liked the Sembia series and I liked its follow up Erevis Cale trilogy even more.

Salvatore wrote the game Demonstone which, though very different from Baldur's Gate, is a fun little third person railroad. In one section you get to be Drizzt, and that makes it worth the price of admission.

Not to derail this anymore, but I grew up in the Norwegian triangle area of Wisconsin, and it wasn't until this thread that I realized was subconsciously correcting Filla's writing because stylistically, it was so similar to the dialect of many of the people I grew up around, including my grandparents.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Come to think of it, Kingdoms of Amalur was also written by Salvatore, but that's yet another completely different game I guess :P

But enough about that guy! We got Dave Gross and I am sure he'll do a great job. I've noticed it as soon as I read his announcement quote if you wish to call it that :)
    edited July 2012
    @Bobby_Stinger

The world isn't as big it seems. My grandmothers father traveled to Wisconsin to work a couple of years. Bought an farm whith the money he earned on chopping wood. The one im living in now actually. Your grandparents wouldn't by any chance know the name Egeland from Lillesand area in south Norway? If i don't remeber wrong, his brother stayed behind in Wisconsin working as an priest if I remeber correctly.

@SkinnyD

Salvatore is doing an great job whit Drizzt imo. I like the way the person. flaws are comming to surface. Who are Solaufein?
    Edit: I just remebered, not very good whit names,hehe
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    @FrillaFillason

I'll send you a private message about family stuff so as not to clutter up the thread.