Skip to content

Killing Drizzt

So, all the old strategies I had for beating him don't work anymore. Things outside your current Line of Sight can still aggro summons, so spamming skeletons til he does no longer works. The path finding is also way better so he'll circle around the lake now and come hit you in the face.

Anyone else with suggestions? I'm a bit stumped. If I had the boots of speed, I guess I could just have him chase around whomever had those equipped while everyone else shot arrows, but there's the risk he'll get bored chasing my one guy and go murder my cavalcade of archers.

Comments

• alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Turn down the difficulty. Lol, that's how I managed to beat him.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've heard a well-equipped F/M PC can go toe-to-toe with him by using a slew of defensive buffs.
  • ShadysShadys Member Posts: 20
    Sorry for my english. I will explain you how i killed him. So first, you must have boots of rapidity, or something in order to run faster than him. And then, take one char with this boots, and all the other ones with range weapon.

Ok ! It's lame. But it works, you have to "pull" Drizzt, with the melee, and, you put your group a little bit far of Drizzt, and then, while your group is "trying", yes, because he resists a lot, to kill him with range weapons, and, because Drizzt target the neariest char of your group you have to do a circle all around the others of your group while they kill him...

It takes about 10-15min, but it works, without any "HEHEHE I SUMMON 5444545 monsters" !
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

:) I like it when folks call using engine exploits strategies. It's like reading the entire Game Banshee site all over again!

Drizzt himself is an exploit. I don't feel guilty for abusing the game's engine to take him down considering they gave him bonus AC that makes him impossible to hit without a critical.

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2012
    4 potions of invisibility with a backstabber, or sandthief's ring. To ensure success, strength and heroism for improved thac0. Usual slew of buffs. Sandthief's now has six charges instead of 1/day.

I haven't had this method fail yet. Shar-teel Fighter 3/Thief 6 pulled it off no problem. Core, not one of the plus difficulties, btw.
    edited December 2012
    Seven, I should say. Six before you need to sell it back. I did it with just the invis pots, though. Didn't have the ring yet.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    Parking 4 NPC's around him still works.

Do that and fire them from your party. Use your two others to shoot him full of arrows or, even better, hit him with 2H weapons (you can reach him, but his scimitars are too short).
    edited December 2012
    @sandmanccl
    I just thought of a way to improve my strategy. Park an invisible mage or two next to drizzt and cast Invisibility 10 ft radius as needed. Much less of an investment in terms of consumables or gold. Might be a bit tricky to pull off the positioning and timing, but it should be workable.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    If you're gonna "beat" him using such silly cheesey tactics, you might as well just mouse over him and presss Ctrl-Y...
  • QueynosQueynos Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 127
    Traps work pretty well to kill him, just put 6 or 7 of them (of course you'll have to rest but traps won't disappear) just attack with any ranged weapons whilestanding at your traps and the job is done.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I posted this a few days ago in a similar thread:
    Flashburn said:

I killed him just today using Coran who was at about level 5/5. [Or whenever it was that we exited the Cloakwood mines.] He's got a natural 20 DEX and illegal Mastery of longbows, meaning he has insane THAC0.

After having failed to kill Drizzt with my party of Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Neera, and myself as a cleric/illusionist, I decided to send in Coran alone to kite Drizzt around. All I used was the following:

-Boots of Speed
    -Strength spell to equip a Composite Longbow +1
    -Drink Potion of Power
    -Mundane arrows

With those I had him rocking 0 THAC0 and 3 attacks per round. He is able to hit Drizzt on at least 14's. Drizzt was absorbing some of his damage but I think I remember hitting him for about 5-8 every arrow. With Drizzt being as fragile as he is, he went down in less than 4 turns - the duration of a Potion of Power. Just keep running away from him and attacking once you've put some distance between you.

Coran now wears Drizzt's chainmail; we sold his swords out of spite and used the funds from them to buy back our reputation which was only a -5 penalty. Several party members leveled up from his 12k XP.

Take that, you Marty Stu.

• AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    @Elendar but that would be cheating! And you don't get the exp for that...

Can you still console in the killsword, or was that only in BGII? Would be a fairly easy way to take out Drizzt.
    @Elendar , I don't think using a backstabbing invisibility thief is that bad. It isn't abusing the engine in any way. Hell, the game uses the same strategy on you in ToB.

Btw, full details for anyone interested
    Throw on boots of haste, ankheg armor, helm/cloak of balduran, klaw of kaz/ring of prot 2, sandthief ring invis potions, cloud/storm, heroism (or power), invulnerability. Standard buff montage, of course. I'd guess all the extra protections don't really matter with his Thac0, but I always just drop all of my best gear and consumable on my fighter/thief and backstab my way to victory

The boots are more to build space to use the ring. Since he doesn't kill the gnolls anymore, use them as blockers
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    Killed him again today, on Core.

Kagain with Aid and a potion of heroism tanked him at level 5 or 6, several healing potions used. Viconia healed Kagain.

Charname and Shar'teel used oil of speed and potions of power and filled him with arrows and bolts.

Dorn was too scared to get close enough to hit him, so he and Edwin were hoping for natural 20s on their ranged attack rolls.

It was close, Kagain took such a beating than 8 hours rest with 21 con was no enough to fully heal him, and Vicky ran out of healing spells. But Drizzt went down.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Try this :
    Create a Berserker Half-Orc PC and put all points in favored weapon. Hit the XP cap, drink oil of speed, potion of storm giant strength, potion of power, invulnerability, heroism. Cast Draw Upon Holy Might, enter Berserker Rage - Enjoy.

In theory it should work well enough. 25 strength, plenty of health, plenty of armor class to roll with. I'd need to test it out to be sure, but I think it should be doable.
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70

Try this :
    Create a Berserker Half-Orc PC and put all points in favored weapon. Hit the XP cap, drink oil of speed, potion of storm giant strength, potion of power, invulnerability, heroism. Cast Draw Upon Holy Might, enter Berserker Rage - Enjoy.

In theory it should work well enough. 25 strength, plenty of health, plenty of armor class to roll with. I'd need to test it out to be sure, but I think it should be doable.

You dont need level cap. A level 6 half orc beserker with full buffs does a number on Drizzt.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @hzf : thanks! :D
    Half Orc 'zerks... Best thing ever to have walked on the Sword Coast!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

Try this :

Heroism and Power potions do not stack. Power is the better of the two.
    Just tried it again by CLUAing him in. Shar-Teel is a bit stronger now, 3/8. She get's a -3 thac0 from stealth with full buff. She can hit with a 10, and three Varscona backstabs kill Drizzt. In theory, you need 6 invisibilities to kill him. You should start off invisibled by a mage, so you need 5 more self uses to take him out with average rolls. Sandthief's works well, but you can get enough invis pots to make it work, or consider my invisible mage casting invis '10 idea