Skip to content

Algernon's Cloak's Description

ColumbiusColumbius Member Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Fixed
"Algernon's Cloak"'s description does not mention it's charm person/animal/monster 1/day ability. I have not attempted to use it, but when equipped it pops up under the "use equitment" bottom menu button, so I assume it retains the ability (which it had in BG1).

Also, why was the decision made to change the names of some (lots?) of the unique magical items?
Did the devs get bored and just go mucking around with item names and descriptions for funsies?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    With regards to the name changes, I believe that the names were already in the item descriptions, and they decided to actually change the item names themselves, as the names from the descriptions were often more interesting. E.g. changing the light crossbow of speed to The Army Scythe.
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    Another item text bug: Detect Evil spell description says Level 1, but it takes a level 2 weezard slot.

Request a couple mage 4 scrolls placed before BG city, so solo players can cast *something* at level. I mean, we get level 5 cloudkill, but nothing at 4th?
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    I get the sneaky feeling Algernon's cloak was never intended to have the charm ability. just seems to me that unlimited charm ability is very powerful and would be in the item description if it was intended,.

However there is no way to prove whether its a bug or not.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    Its design was to charm people in houses so you could steal thoroughly without getting Flaming Fist every 10 seconds. Otherwise playing a Thief would be stupid, oh can pick a lock no problem, people wont call the police but even just opening and looking = I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST!... This is what I have always felt, and been told by anyone I have ever had discussions with about this. Also the cloak really was a secret until this game was originally datamined/thoroughly played and was discovered.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Because a lot of items in BG1 had hidden effects (though it at least hinted they were there since they showed up in the use item tab). Much like in actually PnP sometimes you just have to experiment.

Or I supposed they could do the right thing and say that Algernon's cloak has 65535 charges of charm monster.

And yes...I've actually run the the thing out of charges before. Though I was specifically TRYING to do it after I found out it was a charge item rather then use per day, and saw how many charges it had.

I've literally done a full Streaker run wearing/using nothing but that cloak. And still barely used 1/4 of it's charges.

Well..it has the ability in both BG1 and 2 (though you can't get the cloak in 2 without cheating), so I'd assume they didn't really care....I mean..first you have to know it's there, then you have to get the idea to use it on a monster, THEN you have to stretch and assume it's not merely a nymph cloak under a different name and use it again before resting. (item didn't show charges or usage in BG1, if you tried to use an exhausted item with a once per day effect, it would fail when you clicked on it)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Woo said:

Its design was to charm people in houses so you could steal thoroughly without getting Flaming Fist every 10 seconds. Otherwise playing a Thief would be stupid, oh can pick a lock no problem, people wont call the police but even just opening and looking = I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST!... This is what I have always felt, and been told by anyone I have ever had discussions with about this. Also the cloak really was a secret until this game was originally datamined/thoroughly played and was discovered.

Couldn't be a well guarded secret, if there is a quest about stealing this very cloak!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

I get the sneaky feeling Algernon's cloak was never intended to have the charm ability. just seems to me that unlimited charm ability is very powerful and would be in the item description if it was intended,.

However there is no way to prove whether its a bug or not.

Yeah, the unlimitedness was an exploit inherited from vanilla bg1 we used in beta.
    I've registered this in the bug tracker.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135

Woo said:

Couldn't be a well guarded secret, if there is a quest about stealing this very cloak!
    From some obscure npc in Baldur's Gate city I believe? By the time you get there its Act 5? But can get in act 1, seems kind of secret to me.