Skip to content

improve description of classes

carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
I've not checked bg1, but in BG2 the description of the ranger tells you nothing about what a ranger can do.

link. The first paragraph is identical to the description the game gives you; everything below that is not mentioned!

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Agreed, this would be very nice. More detailed information would help out a lot.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    I completely agree.

The class descriptions should give you detailed information of when and how often you get your abilities (similar to the description for Monks). That's an area where the game could use some improvements.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2012
    Add to this: Improve description of stats and their effects. Nothing is mentioned about lore, etc. Just "it's good for (insert class)" basically.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Add to this: Improve description of stats and their effects. Nothing is mentioned about lore, etc. Just "it's good for (insert class)" basically.
    Yeah, I don't have my 2e books anymore that told me which values gave which bonuses. It's not intuitive like 3e. I think there is nothing between 9-14 or maybe 15 and it might be different for each attribute. Arbitrary as the English system.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Absolutely seconded! Also, but maybe this would be better put into a new thread, a revision of the game manual would be nice as well. But then maybe it's evident to create a new, detailed game manual for the new BG:EE?
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    @senash

BG:EE Wiki?
    www.minecraftwiki.net < awesome
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like this idea.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited July 2012
    Some of the level up class descriptions really could use some help and clarification.
    For example The monks decription says that the monk starts with AC9 at level 1 and gets a -1 bonus every two levels - This needs to be clarified that you get the AC bonus every even level (2,4,6 etc)
    In a similar way, one of the monks other abilities, stunning blow works in the opposite way, with the description saying that they can use stunning blow once per day at level one, and then the get an additional use every 4 levels.
    Using the AC logic above, this should mean that the monk gets an extra stunning blow at 4th, 8th, 12th levels etc. but what actually happens is that the monk gains them every 4 levels after first, ie. 5th, 9th, 13th etc.
    You can see how incredibly confusing this could be, and could be fixed by clearing up the text of the class and kit descriptions
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Agreed, some classes and kits make it really hard for people to understand how things work. I wouldn't mind some progression tables either (for spellcasters)
    Pretty much think that the way NWN did it was fine, very detailed, ordered and simple to understand information.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There's quite a few features that have inadequate documenting of exactly what they do, or where description and implementation are different. There's attacks per round thread on the section of the forum where similarly the description does not match the implementation. There is yet another thread about minimal ingame description about what various HLAs actually do.

IMO reconciling description and implementation is important but I can see that some of it may well get pushed back to post-release updates to hit the end of Summer deadline.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    I think this is very similar to this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/8793/#Comment_8793 @Tanthalas if you would be so kind to merge, if you deem it appropriate :)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    Thanks @Scooter

The threads have been merged.