Skip to content

Minsc's Swords

paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
I've been playing for a while now. Not one piece of equipment has broken except for Minsc's swords, and he's broken at least six to my count. Is this a bug, or should he be breaking them this often? I find myself wanting to stock up on his swords like I do arrows.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• ErliqhErliqh Member Posts: 5
    Yeah..
    I actually stopped using Minsc due to that.

And the fact he would randomly start targeting party members in combat. (even while not in berserk mod - poor Imoen lol)
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    He's yet to target party members on me, but the sword thing is getting old.
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    I do not think that that is a bug - you most likely are just really unlucky. From my experience only non magical melee weapons break. I just had Kagain break his axe. Is it possible that you are using Misc as the only one melee fighter (at lease with non magical weapon) ?
    I hadn't thought about it, but yes, he is my only melee fighter with a non-magical weapon. But still, 6 swords in maybe ten hours of gameplay?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Well. Wooden weapons don't break either, in my team it is Khalid who always breaks the swords.
  • Gonglez_P_IGonglez_P_I Member Posts: 14
    Is weapon breaking due to causing critical hits with weapons?

Is weapon breaking due to causing critical hits with weapons?

I thought it might be, but no. It happens on regular hits.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It happens to me and halberds. First swing is a broken halberd XD

You could pick up that two handed sword +1 from the Half-Ogre bandit south of Ulcaster if you didn't already. Quite an easy get.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The non-magical iron-based weapons have a 1% chance of breaking every time you successfully hit an enemy; this is implemented as a spell that targets the wielder and changes the inventory item to "broken weapon". The easiest way to avoid this is use a magical weapon or, if you aren't at a place where those are available, a wooden weapon. The "do I really have to do this?" method is to remove those spells from the effects section of the weapon file.
  • CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    Trying to remember back to 1998 - don't the weapons stop breaking after a certain point in the game, close to the beginning? (trying to avoid spoiler)
  • Drake1977Drake1977 Member Posts: 7
    Yes the weapons do break as part of the story line. The only way to prevent this is to find magical weapons or use wooden weapons. If memory servers me correctly there is a point in the game where normal iron weapons stop breaking, but I'm not sure when that is (or if it actually happens).
    Drake1977 said:

Yes the weapons do break as part of the story line. The only way to prevent this is to find magical weapons or use wooden weapons. If memory servers me correctly there is a point in the game where normal iron weapons stop breaking, but I'm not sure when that is (or if it actually happens).

By this point you're already using all magical weapons, so you wouldn't know.
  • MalmerMalmer Member Posts: 11
    I've had him break one sword, but two swords have disappeared completely. I don't know if it's possible to drop weapons during A fight, or the 'broken sword item' fails to trigger, but I've twice found Minsc punching with his fists, without the sword appearing in some form or other anywhere.

Am I missing something?
  • AsthnerAsthner Member Posts: 83
    Are you using any mods? At the moment BGTweaks’ component for two-handed items is subject to a bug making created 2H versions disappear.
  • Drake1977Drake1977 Member Posts: 7

Drake1977 said:

By this point you're already using all magical weapons, so you wouldn't know.
    I agree with you to a point, you've got to remember that some weapons are a little hard to find. I for one am equipping some (I think one) of my NPC's with weapons that they have no skill in. That's just until I can find a magical weapon they can use. Usually the magical bonus will offset the penalty to hit just a little bit to justify doing that, but not all the time. But there are times where I really need that extra umph and will equip the NPC with a non-magical weapon that they are specialized in just to get that extra damage and hit bonus.
    Asthner said:

Are you using any mods? At the moment BGTweaks’ component for two-handed items is subject to a bug making created 2H versions disappear.

I'm not using any mods. The more ppl comment the more I think I'm just unlucky.
  • MalmerMalmer Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2012
    Asthner said:

I'm also only playing the game clean. While I think the broken swords are entirely related to luck (and bad luck in the light of TP), I'm now pretty convinced this whole disappearing weapons thing is a bug.

It might solve itself once I get a magical weapon.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    Dissapearing weapons is a bug for sure.

Broken weapons are part of the storyline.
    Malmer said:

Asthner said:

I'm also only playing the game clean. While I think the broken swords are entirely related to luck (and bad luck in the light of TP), I'm now pretty convinced this whole disappearing weapons thing is a bug.

It might solve itself once I get a magical weapon.