Skip to content

New classes Samurai

RedclawsRedclaws Member Posts: 16
I'd like to see in Baldurs Gate 2, a new class samurai, with new armor and weapons.

Comments

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    We already have Kensai so there's precedent for adding the Japanese-flavored Kara Tur classes into BG2.

That said, I don't see it happening. We already have katanas so just roll a fighter specialized in them. They aren't going to add new art seeing as the original assets got lost.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    We also have Yoshimo, who fits that theme perfectly.

I think that devoting an entire class or kit to the theme might be a bit much, but I do agree with adding in new armor (Lamilar plate with similar to plate AC bonus but maybe some kind of alternate penalty and/or bonus to make it unique, and maybe even Ninja Garb) and perhaps a few new weapons (Katana and Wakizashi are cool, but what about Tetsubos, Naginatas, and perhaps different Yumis).

In BG2 the monks had their own skin (in the inventory menu) that was definitely Kara Tur flavored, but I'm not sure if that still exists in BG:EE (unsure because I haven't played a monk yet, but Rasaad has a different style skin. Also, the half-orc skins have changed in general so signs point to a changed monk skin).
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Redclaws said:

I'd like to see in Baldurs Gate 2, a new class samurai, with new armor and weapons.

My knowledge about samurais might be limited, but only in full scale battles/war will the samurai have full armor on, else they would patrol the lands with only cloth and no armor.
    Even the knights (hatamoto) would also only have their clothing for everyday life.

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    there is already a samurai kit mod out there. Google bg2 samurai kit and you should find it.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Bushi, Wu-Jen, Ninja. Shukenja, Sohei.

Reminds me of an article back in the days when OA was first released called "Whaddaya Mean, *Jack* the Samurai?" (this was waaaay before Samurai Jack the Animated series) about how players had no idea how to make an authentic-sounding Japanese name. Their first campaign had a "Jack the Samurai", "Sushi the Bushi" and a "Sohei whose name had come out of the credits to a Kung-Fu movie".
  • RedclawsRedclaws Member Posts: 16
    The samurai style iajutsu would be great.
    The kensai is weak I guess ..
    What I would see is a weapon: no-dachi and armor of samurai.
    Would be cool to put the samurai clans we have in rokugane.
  • DovakhiinDovakhiin Member Posts: 113
    I'd like to have Ninja like new class too.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Redclaws said:

The samurai style iajutsu would be great.
    The kensai is weak I guess ..
    What I would see is a weapon: no-dachi and armor of samurai.
    Would be cool to put the samurai clans we have in rokugane.

rokugane is NOT kara-tur and does not fit in the realms.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Whether or not these kits fit in the Realms (they probably don't), my hope is that modders add them one day.

Maybe some 2nd diehard will implement kits from the Ninja's handbook. I don't know if there was a Samurai handbook, but I'd be in for that too...

As an aside:
    Whenever I wanted to play a ninja, I would edit the dialogue.TLK and rename my thief's kit. I used to do that in NWN2 as well...It's amazing what a difference it makes, just to be called something else.
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    Yeah Kensai and Samurai seem very similar! Bring Warlocks!
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    yeah a kensai works, i did a run with a kensai once mainly using celestial fury, he had pretty sick thaco. although if you want to have him fully armored do remember the armor restrictions of a kensai, in which case a fighter with a katana might serve better
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    This is one of the best proposals. If we get a Ninja or a Samurai, we would get more Ninja-To etc.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Fatal said:

Yeah Kensai and Samurai seem very similar! Bring Warlocks!

A wu jen would be pretty fun to play.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    @Flauschig yeah a dedicated ninja would be great, ive tried playing as a thief and focusing on stealth to pretend he was a ninja, but some extra "ninja" abilities would be cool