Skip to content

Swashbuckler / fighter

so, i intend to make swashbuckler / fighter dual-class, because :

- i don't like to play full thief with sneaky - backstab things.

- there is not really any good npc full thief classes in the game, atleast not evil ones ( i hate monteron / xzar combo, and tiax is so late in the game, not to mention there is no evil thieves in BG2 )

- yet, thief is quite essential for party because you need lockpicker and someone to disarm traps, pickpocket is useful time to time too, but that's not why i want to make one.

My question is 3 sided.

1. at what level i should dualclass ? i was thinking either 10 or 15 because you get swashbuckler bonuses every 5th level, so naturally i would dualclass only at BG2:ee if it comes.

2. how much you need lockpick / detect trap skill in BG2 so you're able to disarm most traps and open locks with master thief potion ? as i intend to export my BG1:ee char to BG2:ee ( if that is possible, or if they intend to make bg2:ee )

3. is this just horrible idea ? can swashbuckler / fighter combo work or is it just a waste ?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    2) 100 in Pick Locks and Disarm Traps will take care of everything. If nothing else you want 100 in Disarm Traps because Potions of Mastery thievery don't cover traps. I had to use my much smaller supply of Potions of Perception to get through Durlag's in my paladin playthrough. That said you don't need more than 100 skill, so if you don't mind drinking potions you'd need 100-Potion Bonus for your skill if you don't wanna chug a bunch of them.

1) I don't know. If you wait for level 15 it'll be a long time to get your thief skills back. So you might wanna see if you have all your thief skills covered by 10.

3) It should work pretty well. It's almost like playing a multiclass Fighter/Thief then dual classing to fighter. So you're getting a good jump on the whole fighter thing.
  • JuomariJuomari Member Posts: 7
    CaptRory said:

2) 100 in Pick Locks and Disarm Traps will take care of everything. If nothing else you want 100 in Disarm Traps because Potions of Mastery thievery don't cover traps. I had to use my much smaller supply of Potions of Perception to get through Durlag's in my paladin playthrough. That said you don't need more than 100 skill, so if you don't mind drinking potions you'd need 100-Potion Bonus for your skill if you don't wanna chug a bunch of them.

um, okay, but does this apply in BG2 too ? because i intend to import my char in that one if / once it's released as EE.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Juomari said:

CaptRory said:

um, okay, but does this apply in BG2 too ? because i intend to import my char in that one if / once it's released as EE.
    I'm almost positive that there are no traps or locks that require a skill over 100, even in BG2.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've not played a swashie yet, but as far as I know they're usually kept single-class, or possibly dualed to mage. They continually get more and more powerful as fighters, so dualing them to fighter wouldn't give them much more power and would cost both the continued improvement of thieving abilities and the use of the swashbuckler abilities for the duration of the class lockout. I think if you want a combat-oriented thief, a single-class swashie works better.

I personally prefer a MC Fighter/thief. You don't sacrifice the high-end abilities of either class, meaning you get all the APR bonuses and HP of a fighter, as well as great backstab ability and support thief skills. You could also get either HLA in TOB, so the last time I ran a F/T in BG2 I wound up getting 4.5 APR of backstabs once I got the assassination HLA, much better than a 10-swing round from Whirlwind. All you miss out on is Grandmastery...
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Questions to ask:

Will you have fun with your character?

If yes, play him.

It's worth noting your suggested build requires you to be in BG2 before you'd ever multi-class. Just saying. If you're going to 15 before switching, you may as well just stay a swashbuckler besides.

And considering Imoen as a level 7 thief can open any lock or disarm any trap in the entirety of BG1 or BG2 or even Throne of Bhaal (although occasionally with a little assistance from a Potion of Master Thievery), don't stress it. You "need" like 90 in find traps and 85 in open locks. If you can't pop a lock, recruit your wizard to throw Knock at it.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Yeah...BG1 actually has higher requirement locks/traps then BG2 does (mostly in Durlag's tower which require 100 each)

I'd personally just stay a swashbuckler....Dual-wield 2 speed weapons in the sequel and you'll be almost as good as a fighter for trash (max 4 1/2 attacks, instead of a potential 5 like a fighter could with the same gear, basically 1 less attack under IH, but each deals a lot more damage) (in fact, most enemies except the handful that require +4 or above to hit and you can always throw on the staff of the ram+6 or IMoD with UAI, hit WW and beat those to death). Your Thac0 ends up about the same as cleric which is fine (Fighter's are actually overkill where thac0 is concerned), and the extra bonus damage per hit will actually make you hit harder then a fighter, since raw str becomes irrelevant once str belts appear (and dualing TO a fighter won't change your str anyway, both could end up with 19 at the end of BG1).

You can specialize already, and while you get profs at a slower rate, it's actually fine (you really only need scimitars **, Two-weapon ** to be honest (maybe adding a point in SS at the beginning of the sequel since it'll take awhile before you can wield both speed scimitars, and Kuudane (Speed short sword) can be acquired pretty early).

That means you can max all the thief skills while still technically being basically a fighter. ALso, lock and trap xp is determined by the level of the thief in the sequel, and becomes pretty substantial at higher levels. And having 100 DI is always nice...and traps...and optional stealth if you really don't wanna have to fight something..and high pickpockets is always nice for a cheap bastard.

Armor isn't that big an issue after the first little bit, since your innate AC bonus will eventually out strip even the best heavy armors while still wearing leather (The shadow armor at lvl 10 would have almost the same AC as ankheg plate, and it just keeps going up from there...by the time you got something ridiculous like Grandmaster's Armor, Fighter with the best armor AND shields would have trouble equalling you in AC, and you'll have a fair amount of bonus damage above them still)

I mean at the end of the day...the only reason I personally don't like swashbucklers is cause they can't backstab (which I find enjoyable) or set up some some ridiculously complex, yet awesome to watch trap show (NOT pre-battle trap cheese) like a BH.
  • EsviEsvi Member Posts: 26
    The only thing you'll probably miss is the grandmastery of two or three weapons. I'm not really sure how proficiency works in EE but you'll miss basically 1 THAC0, 2 damage and -3 speed factor to weapons.
    edited December 2012
    Nah, by level 10, they'll have +2 damage (to all weapons) from the swashy bonus which will continue to go up if they stay a swashy, on top of specialization. Speed factor is a non-issue since most 1hd weapons are under 5, and subtract their enhancement bonus from their speed...so most faster weapons are effectively 0 anyway.

And as above, even if the fighter is using the unnerfed prof chart, the swashy only has a potential 1/2 attack less but will hit for....the same or more damage, while wielding 2 speed weapons. Which with 9 attacks vs 10 will actually out damage a fighter with the same gear. By a fair amount. Especially at higher levels when the damage bonus grows beyond what a fighter could get with GM.

And you'll have missed out on most of the extra fighter hp by the time you dual'd basically removing any actual benefit to dualing in the first place..a little bit more largely wasted thac0, some extra unnesscary weapon profs, MUCH slower leveling speed. You'd get some decent HLA about of the bargain I guess, but the thief HLA are just so much better...imo... (UAI, and greater evasion especially.....a couple epic traps, time stop traps are pretty nice if you wanna have a little 1 v 1 with final boss, Bonus boss, or The Super Monk, or just wipe them out with spike traps...and any extra points in Whirlwind attack just in-case...though simply being improve hasted is better since it's only 1 attack less, but no penalty)
  • JuomariJuomari Member Posts: 7
    so basicly you guys are saying that it's not worth it to dual class to fighter ? that swashbuckler becomes better than fighter in the end ?

basicly reason why i tought to dual-class at lvl10 was these :

- able to use platearmors WHILE having swashbuckler's +3 to armor ( ofcourse, only in boss fights otherwise leather )

- able to grandmaster in weapons for thac0 and speed.

- as far as i know, fighters get more hp / level.

what do i exacly miss if i dualclass ? is there some bonuses i don't know about in the endgame for swashbuckler ?

wow... now i'm even more confused ;D but basicly having 100 in lockpick and detect traps is enought to clear anything in game with potion of master thievery ?
    edited December 2012
    100 in Pick Lock and Detect Traps is enough, you don't need the potion.

I think you can use any armor with an HLA called Use Any Item which basically lets you use any item of the game(excluding those with ability score restrictions).

LVL40(8m XP) Swashbuckler bonus is +8 AC, +8 hit and damage which is more than enough to compensate for grandmastery of weapons. More HP is nice but unless you're making your Swashbuckler/Fighter the main tank, it's uses are minimal.
    And once you got UAI, you could always keep a stack of stoneskin, PfMW, or mirrior image scrolls on hand for if you really needed to tank something (or just toss on some full plate for almost double what AC a early swash/fighter would have..and some IH scrolls of course for 9 attacks per round for about 7 rounds without the thac0 penalty from WW...hell cast tenser's from a scroll, huge hp bonus, extra damage, huge thac0 bonus. AC is useless...After SoA (and some chapters during SoA), most non-mook enemies will hit you anyway, and even mooks can potentially bring you down if they get a bunch of crits.

And having 100 Detect illusions will eliminate any need for your casters to keep true sight or waste dispels only on illusions, since you could wipe them all away instantly just by toggling find traps for a second or two (requires armors that allow usage of thief skills though) and go back to fighting.

But..as mentioned earlier...the extra hit from GM (or fighter levels in general) is unnecessary and weapon speed is useless...you're mostly like NOT going to be using a halberd..and anything else (not counting non-magical weapons) will have an effective speed of 0 (can't go any lower) already. WEapon speed does not give extra attacks..it simply lets you begin attacking sooner in a round (and if you have 9-10 attacks your weapon speed is 0 by default).
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    AC is not useless. Not when you have -30AC which is entirely possible with a swashbuckler.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Question: How many rogue levels can you get total assuming the ToB XP Cap and still get enough fighter levels to get your rogue stuff back?
    LVL25/26(7.8M Total XP) Thief/Fighter is probably what you're looking for.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    btw going Fighter then dual to swashbuckler would be the better choice but is only doable with shadow keeper.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Please excuse me for bumping a very old topic indeed. But I wanted to consider some of the points made earlier. As far as I can reckon it a Swashbuckler who duels over to Fighter at 10 gets these advantages/disadvantages at the level cap for BG2 (not ToB):

1: Thaco down to 0 (base thaco 2 + swash bonus) - Swashbucker at the same exp would be 6.
    2: Can get grandmastery and three points in 2H weapon style, and base attacks of 2 - Swashbuckler can't get the mastery bonuses and doesn't improve it's base attacks.
    3: +2 to damage and -3 to ac - Swash gets +4 to damage and -5 to ac.
    4: Saves of 3/5/4/4 - Swash is 8/4/7/11/5
    5: 250 thief points to spend - Swash has many many more
    6: Fighter HLAs - Swash gets Rogue + WW ones.
    7: Swash has about 4 more base HP (from the extra levels - the 2 vs 3 bonus per level 10 plus)
    8: Can use better armor before UAI kicks in.

Am I missing things here? Because it seems that the advantages of the Swash/Fighter are significant. Grandmastery bonuses, better thaco, better saves, still enough thief points to use when needed. At a cost of a couple of HP, +2 damage and -2 AC.

Granted once you enter ToB these lessen, as HLAs like UAI are great and so forth, but prior to that I would think that a Swash/Fighter has a pretty good argument going for it? The real question is getting the Fighter leveled up to 11 and how long that takes you, I would think.

• blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323

And considering Imoen as a level 7 thief can open any lock or disarm any trap in the entirety of BG1 or BG2 or even Throne of Bhaal (although occasionally with a little assistance from a Potion of Master Thievery)

If she can't do it without a potion, or a magical item, then she can't do it. It's either one or the other.

OP you can always make a multiclass F/T and EEkeep in the Swashbuckler. OP, OP and away!
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    I absolutely LOVED playing a dualed swashbuckler(6)->Fighter. It let me get GM in BG:ee and my thief skills back. I had 100 in Pick Locks and Detect Traps. And he chunked everything. Dual wielding axes was awesome (though, perhaps longswords would be a better choice). There was only a couple drawbacks: I couldn't do anything else well thief wise (no stealth, traps, pick pockets), even with potions and appropriate gear. I was susceptible as a frontliner due to my lack of HP. Still compared to an average thief I was a BOSS. Also, no backstabbing.

I still don't think waiting to level 10 or 15 makes sense cause it takes SOOO long to get your skills back. The wait from level 6->7 as a fighter was long enough! Not worth it for an extra point of damage and AC...
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    I love the f/t combo. I have actually made swashie > fighter but I prefer fighter (kitted if you want) > thief. I like it this way better as you get more health and thief HLA. Use any item is ridiculous (gotta have it).
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited September 2013
    Everything was already said and done in this thread, so I'll be brief:
    If you don't care for the loss of backstab, I'd keep being a Swashbuckler till the end. They get the best HLAs anyway. If you still want to dual, do it at lvl 10. But I like the dual F->T a bit more.
    Southpaw said:

Everything was already said and done in this thread, so I'll be brief:
    If you don't care for the loss of backstab, I'd keep being a Swashbuckler till the end. They get the best HLAs anyway. If you still want to dual, do it at lvl 10. But I like the dual F->T a bit more.

I disagree, the general discussion before was that Swash/Fighter wasn't smart to do, however the real choice is between a better character at fighting with a bit of thief skills and warrior HLAs, or a fairly worse fighter with more thief skill points and a Thief HLAs.

To summarise the differences as you have done is cursory.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Maybe. It depends on the point-of-view. Mine is, that I'd rather keep the Swashbuckler single-class. (But I am a Thief/Monk player and sometimes think that pure Fighters are boring)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm actually seriously considering the same thing for my run through BG and BGII when its released. I will probably dual over to fighter myself , if only for the fighter stronghold XD (its by far my favorite one)
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i think swash-> fighter is really weird

assasin7->fighter will be great with poison weapon(even bows) and fighter skill
    like bow/long sword/1h weapon for range/close combat fast switch

or berserker7->thief you will have rage with immunities

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @zur312 I wanna go Swash because of the bounuses to AC and damage with no penalty to theif skills.
    Swash->Fighter is not that strange at all and works very well IMO.

You can detect traps and lllusions in heavy armor. The bonuses are great for fighters. Pretty much you just get slightly lower health in exchange for detection skills and more AC, THAC0 and Damage. And the ability to use certain thief items.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Interesting idea, though I think I would recommend staying Swashbuckler until at least Open Locks, Find Traps, Pickpocket and Detect Illusion were maxed, at which point you might be too high a level for dual class to be a viable option.

When it comes to evil thieves I agree with you, there are too few immediately available. However, I usually get Shar-Teel and dual her to Thief at level 3. She is without a doubt the best backstabber in the game and perfectly evil.
    If you go anything past level 15 then dual classing isn't worth it. In my view unless you're building for a ToB optimised character you're best at level 10 too.

If you're picking them for the thief skills rather than the fighting ones dualling to Fighter doesn't make a heap of sense. Better to dual to mage or some such.
  • EHKOWarriorEHKOWarrior Member Posts: 1

And considering Imoen as a level 7 thief can open any lock or disarm any trap in the entirety of BG1 or BG2 or even Throne of Bhaal (although occasionally with a little assistance from a Potion of Master Thievery)

If she can't do it without a potion, or a magical item, then she can't do it. It's either one or the other.

OP you can always make a multiclass F/T and EEkeep in the Swashbuckler. OP, OP and away!
    If you're going to use EEKeeper, why not just make youself a Kensai/Swashbuckler for the lols? 25 damage regular hits with 50-60 crits?
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    well i think swash10/fighter would be much less effective than fighter/thief dwarf/elf with both HLA

i mean +2dmg/+2armor vs UAI/op traps

?