Skip to content

thinking of buying, how does it compare to neverwinter nights 2?

topic says it all really

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Neverwinter Nights 2 sucks... Baldur's Gate rules!

well, okay, I like NWN2 as well... Some of the rule differences between 3.5 (NWN2) and 2.5 (BG) take a lot of getting used to... but the story-line for the campaign is 100000X better in BG.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The combat in BG is very cool to orchestrate with a party of six. It's level 1-8 play, so be prepared for that. But the use of lower level spells makes for an interesting challenge in it's own right. This is one of those games that I think any aficionado of D&D ruleset games absolutely must try.

Having said that, if you own a PC or laptop with a NVIDIA graphics card and Intel CPU, be warned that the game may not be playable until Beamdog works out a fix. I.e., there's a very strong risk that the game won't work if you have that hardware.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    If you liked NWN2 then chances are pretty high, that you also will like BG.. just be prepared for another graphic style and for some rule-changes. I love both.. :) !!!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Yathrin said:

My personal TOP 8 list of single player D&D/Forgotten Realms games made by Black Isle Studios/Bioware/Obsidian. I don't know about their other games or expansions because I've played only these.

1. Baldur's Gate 2
    2. Baldur's Gate 1
    3. Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
    4. Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark
    5. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
    6. Icewind Dale 2
    7. Neverwinter Nights 1 & Neverwinter Nights 2
    8. Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of the Undrentide

I actually prefer the low level action in BG1 to BG2, though the NPC interaction is much better in BG2, but they're both great games, and both are better than any other cRPG currently out there. NWN is prettier, though the hand-drawn look (I don't think of the graphics in BG1/BG2 look lovely too

Anyway, I would highly recommend buying both BGEE and BG2EE (or even just the current BG2, if you can't wait, it'a already a great game).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    I didn't really like NWN 2 at all...while the change to 3.5 was nice, I feel the original NWN had a MUCH better interface. (And I'm pretty biased by how badly they F'd up the warlock...seriously, they should've never put it in if they were going to flub it THAT badly.)

That said...the story in both NWN games is pretty crappy.

The Baldur's Gate series is basically the last time bioware made a good the story...the rest of their games are simply trying to imitate (and failing miserably) what they nailed perfectly in this series.

Bare in mind. This is only the first game of a two part series. And it may be awhile before the re-release of the sequel is ready.
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    This is a very difficult question because it depends on what you are looking for in a RPG.

On the one hand they are very similar, Dungeons and Dragons rules based adventure games interfaced from the third person isometic.

On the other hand the use diffrent rules, have different story lines, and progress at a different pace.

I find that people who are a bit older and played BG before NWN like it as much or more, but the inverse not.

For twenty pigs why not just take the plunge?
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I loved both, but BG 1 seems to have more exploration involved, and its also significantly more challenging. Your not really at risk of power gaming in bg1 (with level cap) so each fight can be fatal if your not careful. Less cheesy that way too. Story is also cooler (although MOTB is enjoyable). But NWN 2 you do feel like you have more customization with your character. NWN 2's multiclass system seems better thought out, and you have no prestige classes in BG series. But that has a lot to do with the D&D system its based off of, they are radically different. Also in BG there doesn't seem to be nearly as much dialogue between the main character and his allies or even between his allies as there is in NWN 2. I still rank the BG as one of my all time favorites but I feel the same about NWN 2 :D
  • kmfdmkmfdm Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2012
    In what universe is Baldur's Gate 2 better than Baldur's Gate 1? BG2 is like NWN, super linear, no exploration maps, more of the -- telenovela -- among companions and less of the actual gameplay.

Regarding NWN 2. Well BG 1 is quite different. BG 1 has massive half-empty maps suitable for exploration and it's made for lower level party. Plus the group-controls actually work, which cannot be said about NWN 2 with its extremely clunky camera and combat controls.