Skip to content

Algernon's Cloak Nerf

Anyone can find one good reason why Algernon's Cloak shouldn't be nerfed to one use of charm person per day? Also, some info about its capabilities on item description would be nice, thank you :)

Comments

• thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    Lets just nerf the game into d3. That will show people not to have fun and feel powerful in a video game. After all, life is hard and depressing. Every video game should be too!

I guess I am a bit of a purist when it comes to RPG games. When the developers pick something to be a certain way, I like it to stay that way. Nerfing never just fixes one thing. it starts a nerf-treadmill that the dev's get braver and braver about. One thing gets changed, then more people chime in and say the next thing is now too powerful, and eventually you end up with just a boring crappy game.

None of us playing with unmodded gear/characters are running around one-shotting everything straight out of candlekeep with impenetrable armor. I just think if there weren't powerful items, then there is absolutely nothing to get excited about.

Nerf threads for this game immediately make me pissy. If something seems not right to you, don't use it. I just really don't want yet another game with boring classes and loot.

Didn't want to leave my comment with such a dickish tone, so I elaborated :)
    Post edited by thedemoninside on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't know about nerfs, but I generally prefer things to be "More interesting".

Take the Short Sword of Backstabbing. It's just a fancy name for a +3 short sword, really. But it would be a much more interesting weapon if it also granted a bonus to Hide in Shadows while equipped, thus aiding the wielder in making backstab attempts. In fact, with that in mind I wouldn't mind if its bonus were reduced to +2. It would be a less powerful melee weapon, but with a much clearer purpose.

Algernon's Cloak, I'm kind of okay with it being as potent as it is. It's a bit of an easter egg item anyway.
  • EphantEphant Member Posts: 19
    Well, I can live with overpowerdness of unlimited charm you get in the first hour of the game (pickpocket with Imoen), its kind of a secret so its not like everyone gets that in the beginning of the game, but it should get proper item description nevertheless :) I hate items that work differently than their description :/
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    But but but... ok.

Yeah, it's overpowered. But I like it! I don't usually use it on monsters. I use it on commoners when I go on a crime spree and rob their houses.

They changed it in the patch to work 1/day I think.

I might mod it to work any number of times but only on humans so I can have my crime spree back without being tempted to charm every monster.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Personally, I think they should have left Algernon's Cloak the way it was, but I also think it should be possible to import Algernon's Cloak into BG2. Right now, Algernon's Cloak is the only BG1 item that I know of that can't import into BG2.

Hopefully the positive side of it being nerfed is that it will now import just like everything else.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    ARKdeEREH said:

Personally, I think they should have left Algernon's Cloak the way it was, but I also think it should be possible to import Algernon's Cloak into BG2. Right now, Algernon's Cloak is the only BG1 item that I know of that can't import into BG2.

Hopefully the positive side of it being nerfed is that it will now import just like everything else.

Well, since it's been nerfed, it works exactly like a nymph cloak. In a way you can say that it's already in BG2.
    Works once per day now :) seems it was changed in unnamed patch few days ago
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Yeah, but now its just annoying for the sake of being annoying. Now you have to rest and use it again. Not exactly an improvement imo.
    edited December 2012
    I just kicked out Dorn after finishing his quest 'cause his stats and abilities are too OP :P some people don't like it when their game is too easy
    Post edited by Ephant on
  • OphidiosOphidios Member Posts: 3
    I didn't see the point in nerfing it, myself. If a person doesn't want to use it (as most no-reloaders and hardcore players will prefer), then they don't have to use it. They don't even have to get it.

But for the majority of players, who find the game to be painfully hard (especially any BG "newbies" enticed by the re-release), then if a player wants to go out of there way to obtain it and use it, then so be it.

For the casual player, the game is still hard as steel even with the cloak. I agree with the above point. Doing something like this is akin to how Blizzard handles Diablo 3. "WHOA, WE AREN'T COMFORTABLE WITH HOW YOU CHOSE TO PLAY THIS GAME, SO WE'RE GOING TO FIX IT SO YOU CAN'T DO THAT".

If a person uses the cloak and finds it too overpowered, then do like Ephant did with Dorn and just dump the cloak in a bin somewhere. Problem solved.
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    edited December 2012
    Nerfing is for massive online multi-player. This is a single/friend game.

If you did something stupid it would make the game boring.

Fix bugs, but please don't start considering nerfing = bug... because it doesn't.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    This cloak wasn't even all that powerful compared to other working mechanics, It should be returned to the way it was. Once per day is stupid, if you are going to change ONE item with charges, then change them all, because using a cloak twice requires two combat actions, can be interupted, and saves are rolled. Using charm twice, which pretty much any wizard can do is "cheap" but spamming wands isn't.

Also I think that +1 mace that was ADDED in Beregost "The Stupifier" or w/e, is way cheaper than any existing exploit, bug, working as intended mechanic in true Baldur's Gate 1&2 STUN ALL THE THINGS.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Goddard said:

Nerfing is for massive online multi-player. This is a single/friend game.

I hate that only online games should be balanced and in offline games it is fine to have easily acquirable stuff that is better than the rest in the game. Not that the cloak would really fit that category. It is more generally speaking.