Skip to content

The problem with bringing a PC exclusive title to Tablets

TroikaTroika Member Posts: 36
Quoting Nathan from another topic, because I think it touches a meaningful point:
Nathan said:

Also, seriously people - the pc version is no "tablet port". There's just one version of the game.

It's of course not a tablet port, but you have to admit that the PC version was indeed compromised to some extent due to considerations about tablets (e.g. the GUI base-resolution). We would have a different version now had the main focus been improving and optimizing the original to suit modern desktop gaming.

Wanting to open the product to the tablet market is understandable from a publisher's perspective, but it should have been communicated better. I think most PC gamers expected a PC version that is not compromised in any way and that generally a high quality is assured at release (400 improvements/bugfixes). That's why there has been some negative feedback, people who liked the original and expected to get a truly enhanced PC version of a PC-exclusive title got frustrated. And it really was a PC title at the core, you couldn't imagine Baldur's Gate having been designed the way it was for any other plattform at the time.

That's also why I believe it is a miscalculation to expect a big success on tablets, the game is just not very suited for the platform. I can't imagine the concept, gameplay, flow etc. feeling right on my tablet, even with the slight changes to the UI and control scheme. One thing is that it's too click/touch heavy, e.g. organizing the inventory on touch devices must be a chore (I certainly hope you didn't go for drag and drop item-transfer). Another point is the general pacing of the game, which is way too slow for what I'm looking for when gaming on my tablet. There are many other points, but what I mean to say is that unless you pump millions into marketing the game like crazy you won't even have a chance to see a big success on the tablet versions imho. Maybe I'm wrong and you the potential userbase will make up for it, but it still won't be a good tablet game no matter how awesome of a PC classic it is, just because of its desktop oriented game design.

I don't know how much was made from the preorder and post release sales so far, but I think your main customer base for this BG:EE are PC gamers and you will see the sales numbers reflect that. Even many of the potential tablet customers are PC gamers. If you want to keep that playerbase the core design decisions should be focused mainly on this platform before thinking about ports to tablets or other devices. Just my 2 coins. :)
Post edited by Troika on

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I sure hope BG:EE turns out to be a success on tablets. It could certainly help shift the focus away from all the casual games on there. They are okay, of course, but I feel tablets deserve more than that. I wouldn't bet on a breakthrough revolution, though - especially if Beamdog doesn't manage the balancing act between (hardcore) PC gamers and the tablet gamers. While both groups will overlap (especially with regard to Baldur's Gate), the game versions still need to be different, and that will be quite a trial.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited December 2012
    Troika said:

The PC version was compromised to some extent due to considerations about tablets.

The game is just not very suited for the tablet platform.

The core design decisions should be focused mainly on the PC platform

fixed :)
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    ...Infinity Engines are perfectly suited for tablets because they're one of the few game series out there built around icon input and mouse control with extremely simple control mechanics.

Whining about the PC version being a console port just because the UI is set to upscale slightly at higher resolution is absurd. The most likely reason for that happening is simply because they designed the UI at one size, but later decided to make on default icon size larger on the PC version for any number of reasons (from being truer to the size ratio of the original game to being more friendly to touch-screen laptops) and instead of re-drawing the menu assets, they simply set the game to upscale them.

And you CAN disable UI scaling.

So it's a complete non-issue. I swear, "PC Gamers" these days can be such babies.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    @Scooter, well, shoot, based on that, I can totally see myself buying an iPad, just and only to play BG:EE. Hmm, it would be very useful during power failures and on long trips. But, I don't currently pay a monthly fee for a wireless service, which is a minus.

So, is there a wireless plan that also includes unlimited minutes per month on telephone communication, and how much is it, would be my first question? And then, I would need to shop iPad prices.

I am kind of starting to need to kill my ancient Jitterbug cellphone account anyway, since it malfunctions an unacceptable amount of the time, they charge outrageously for extra minutes, and I have killed my landline in an attempt to save money, which, so far, is not happening, thanks to GreatCalls outrageous extra minute charges.

EDIT: How long does a fully charged iPad or iPhone last? I ask because, with the changes in the weather over the last five years, I've suffered three-day long power outages, which never used to happen, and, I hear that people in hard-hit areas like New Orleans and along the Atlantic seaboard have had even longer outages to deal with.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Troika said:

I think most PC gamers expected a PC version that is not compromised in any way and that generally a high quality is assured at release (400 improvements/bugfixes). That's why there has been some negative feedback, people who liked the original and expected to get a truly enhanced PC version of a PC-exclusive title got frustrated. And it really was a PC title at the core, you couldn't imagine Baldur's Gate having been designed the way it was for any other plattform at the time.

400 bug fixes but an additional 200 introduced after those bug fixes. And some of those bug fixes weren't really bugs at all but just exploits that people managed to powergame with.

• GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    I agree in some regards. I expected a enhanced version of BG and so far all I can see is a different gui. When I was creating my character I saw new images, but I thought I read some where they added some new voices.

A possible addition that would be so simple to add is when your in the inventory screen to have the ability to right click items on the ground and have them go directly to an open inventory slot, or making it so you can have 10 or 20 people in a multiplayer game.

These are the things that would make it different and interesting. Small tweaks and fixes.

I am sure we will see some cool new things coming down the pipe. I am really happy we got the chance for the revival and to get new and old people excited about playing the game again. This game is a real treat.
  • elvis_minorelvis_minor Member Posts: 6
    Man I got a copy for my PC, but what I'm really waiting on is the tablet version because it's gonna be really nice to have something more engrossing than most of the trash games I've seen on tablets thus far.
  • KylleKylle Member Posts: 13
    I can't really see any of the enhancements. I played BG1 last about the start of 2011 with some mods that port it to the BG2 engine (better res, ability to leave map markers etc). BG EE so far is pretty similar.

I really don't see any modern enhancements at all. They way the sold it I assumed there would be a whole raft of new features, maybe stuff like a group area for party members not in use (I.E. like the first inn in BG2) or all playable NPC levels scale to you even if they haven't been with the party for some time (I.E. Dragon Age). I thought Achievements would play a big part too. I also expected a completely new UI for touch screens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy with the game as is- when i've managed to get it to work (still a bit wonky but latest patch helped a lot!!) i've pumped tons of time into it and haven't had this much fun gaming since I played the originals in high school.

I just really feel like it was sold as having more new features. I should have gone and done more research beforehand. Anyway totally enjoying the game now its working. Could not be happier with the cheap $20.00 price point either.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Are you kidding? This game is perfect for tablets. I personally will probably never play it on a tablet and would have preferred if they put the effort from making it into a tablet game into something that benefits the pc but you can't deny this game is a perfect fit for tablet gaming. The very fact that it is so click intensive is the reason it would work so well with tablets. You don't ever have to use the keyboard if you don't want to. If ever there was a game that would work for sitting down and poking at your ipad this is it.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @belgarathmth

I have a tablet without telephone communication. It is cheaper, and I have never really missed constant internet wherever I am (there is wireless networks at home, at the university and at work). Also, consider Android (AUSUS for instance). I settled for Android and used a lot of time comparing Ipad and Android tablets.

Back to OP: I have played Avadon which is a turn based game similar to BG amd it was a lot of fun and looked great. So I believe it will be a hit. BG is the game where you often deliber your next choice of spells and attack targets, which is just as well done on your couch =)
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    Im ashamed and sickened by fanboys. Newsflash blindly supporting companies, poor business practices and other BS is only going to get consumers treated like crap and worse, bad games getting made.

In fact, the reason why the mainstream gaming industry is as bad as it is today is all the morons who insist companies cant do no wrong, and spend their hard earned money on the yearly crap they put out with barely any effort. And people wonder why we dont get games like Baldurs Gate anymore, only the fanboys are to blame.

Its not they ignore PC Gamers because of complaining, its they ignore fans because they know people will support them no matter what they do.
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    I've only just purchased my first tablet very recently, so I can't claim to know the demographic at all well, but really; who, aside from those of us who owned the original game on its native PC platform, are going to buy BG:EE on a tablet? Perusing the game store, I see the same kind of game with the same type of structure over and over again; short, vivid one-shots with a strong, or at least noticeable gimmick that provides the casual gamer a quick fix of colourful fun for half an hour or so. In stark contrast, we have the excessively gritty number-crunching, epic-arc spewing, "What the FUCK does 'THAC0' actually mean anyway?!" hard-core experience that is our beloved BG.

Don't get me wrong, I think the adaptation to tablets will do wonders to our game on a nuts-and-bolts level as the above review suggests, but I'm scratching my head over what kind of tablet-owner is going to purchase a 1.8gig, 40-hour plus *monster* of a game and find the time to properly dig into it and get their money's worth. I don't think that type of player exists on the Appstore yet, and BG is too old and flabby to be the vanguard for the introduction of "serious games" on the iPad et al.

Caveat: I hope I'm utterly wrong and the game rakes in obscen amounts of cash and bathes in incadescent showers of critical acclaim ;)
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    I have to agree with OP. I just have no desire to play BG on my tablet, and I do believe that the game could have been even better if time was fully devoted to the PC.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited December 2012
    Quartz said:

The PC platform is NOT profitable in the slightest.

Lolwut??

World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Guild Wars, EVE. They are not making any money on those games at all, are they?
  • VarilVaril Member Posts: 14
    Wow, the backlash against "fanboys" sure is strong in here. God forbid some people are dissatisfied with a product, I mean if everything isn't perfect and happy then obviously they're just stupid for having opinions.

(P.S. : This is sarcasm and your knee-jerk reaction makes you look like a moron.)

A lot of the complaints about BG:EE are pretty valid. The plus is it's still BG and runs easily on newer systems.

Unless you're one of the people suffering crashes.

Or you had a game ending bug like the Rhasaad dialog loop.

But except for those two things, it's perfect, right? Brand new UI-

-well, a slightly tweaked UI. That had some weird display problems early on. Well, it's better anyway.

And hey, unlike most modern games since this game is ancient and has already been patched up(officially and unofficially) it should come out of the gate feeling pretty stable and bug-free, right?

Well, they're working on it anyway. And most of the bugs are really minor! Aside from those crashes, anyway. Like the one where your characters need about 1 second after you click them before they respond to orders. Sure, it shows up all the time if you're quick with a mouse, but at least it doesn't really hurt(unless you really needed Imoen to move right then, anyway). Or the way the mouse-wheel is kind of dodgy on some menus, but how often do you need to look at your quests anyway?

In short, *yes*, BG:EE is a decent boost to an old game, but there are a *LOT* of little, irritating flaws that reflect poorly on Overhaul. Even if they're patching it pretty quickly, it smacks of the modern habit of companies releasing half-finished products and letting their consumers test them. It might be cheaper, but it's dishonest. Even if there *is* new content, it's nothing stellar, and I have a hard time going "wow, this is great".

I'm enjoying the game, and I'll probably get BG2:EE(though this time I'll wait a month or two to let other people beta-test it), but don't act like it's "entitled" just because some people are unhappy. This isn't some mod, it's a product, and after laying down $20 dollars for a 13 year old game the *customers* who bought said product are free to state their opinions of what they got.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    IkMarc said:

Lolwut??

World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Guild Wars, EVE. They are not making any money on those games at all, are they?

Exceptions to that rule because they charge a subscription service, you know that full well. Of course those guys are getting money they charge an arm and a leg and can get away with it because MMOs aren't on consoles. With most PC games, though, if you try to charge half of what they do then everyone will whine wah wah it's too much!
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    The number one thing i love about Baldur's Gate is that it is not a reflex game. You dont have to mash up buttons, there are no time limits, no holes to fall into cause you missed a jump, etc etc

With this game I can take my time, think, smoke a cigarette, drink my coffee, and hit that pause button whenever im ready, and hit it again one second later for another round of decision making.

Everygame I see on tablets/phones are fast paced games that need full attention, that are not even fun for 30 mins, or are just plain dumb.

BG for tablets IS perfect for players like me, that like to take it slow.

I DO enjoy my action packed Battlefield 3, my strategic hardcore Starcraft 2 and my blood pumping League of Legends mind you, but I would NEVER play this kind of games on my tablet.
    BG on the other hand...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Y'all do know that BG:EE has already hit the #2 best-seller spot in the iPad app store? Just sayin'.

This probably sounds like a really, really dumb question, but, how do you get sound on a tablet? Is there an earbud jack like on an iPod?
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    I've been playing BGEE a lot of hours on my PC (also have original PC disks from back in 1998 installed).

I'm satisfied with BGEE on my PC -- better experience (to me) than the modded original on my up-to-date PC. No harmful bugs -- that is, if I don't look for them, I don't notice them. Though its nothing really new to an "old time player", BGEE is giving me enough hours of pleasure to justify the small price tag per hour (compared to other sources of entertainment).

It does seem like a natural for a tablet, to me (versus other more up to date RPGs). An Android tablet version for about $10 borders on a "no brainer". And, looking forward to BG2EE.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @belgarathmth
    My tablet creates oscillations of pressure transmitted through the air, thanks to a device commonly referred to as a pair of speakers which can be found mounted on the back of the case.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Quartz said:

IkMarc said:

Lolwut??

Exceptions to that rule because they charge a subscription service, you know that full well. Of course those guys are getting money they charge an arm and a leg and can get away with it because MMOs aren't on consoles. With most PC games, though, if you try to charge half of what they do then everyone will whine wah wah it's too much!
    Actually, of those five games, only WoW and EVE charge subscription fees. And there have been a few MMOs on consoles over the years, such as Phantasy Star Online for the ol' Dreamcast, Everquest Online Adventures for the ol' PS2, DC Universe Online for the PS3, et al.

Just being a pedant. :D

As for whingery, I think the absurdly low price of "apps" in the smartphone and tablet world is setting horrid expectations across the board. I'm sure somewhere someone is ranting about how BG:EE on iOS "is not a $10 game".