JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
The Black Pits is f'ing fun
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Haha! Agree! <3
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2012
    My thesis defense would be done next week, I can finally play BG; I'm excited to play Black Pits, looks awesome. I wish I had friends who also play BG so we can play coop Black Pits, stupid tasteless people.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I wonder if it can be completed solo. Someone here said they did it with a fighter, but I'm not sure how.
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    I died at the slime fight and deleted my save files and started over, hehe.
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    I never replayed a fight, what's the advantage of that? Should I do that to get more money? At what level do we max out? How do I beat the final boss?
    fredamora said:

My thesis defense would be done next week, I can finally play BG; I'm excited to play Black Pits, looks awesome. I wish I had friends who also play BG so we can play coop Black Pits, stupid tasteless people.

Your thesis defense is no match for my magic!

• FoerthanFoerthan Member Posts: 23
    Philhelm said:

I wonder if it can be completed solo. Someone here said they did it with a fighter, but I'm not sure how.

I've completed it solo on two occasions, once as F/M/C and once as F/M. The beginning is kind of rough (get the wand of fire), but once you get some levels on you, it's a breeze. There is only one fight later on that's a significant challenge, and that is the *SPOILER* fight where portals open up around the room *SPOILER*. It's difficult to take them all out before too many additional enemies spawn.

The last fight can be mildly challenging, but stocking up on magic resistance stuff makes it a breeze along with other spell protections.

Also, unlimited invisibility potions are incredibly broken.

• jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117

3rd round and loving it.

Best. Party. Ever.

I actually haven't tried the Black Pits beyond the setup phase yet, as I've been concentrating on the main story and the new quests and such. Maybe I'll be able to play them more extensively soon.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    My question is whether you set Varsuvius up as a male or a female? I don't believe BG handles gender neutral.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Oh shit. He has Buddy the Elf!
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Wouldn't Heisenberg be the one selling "potions" between rounds?
    Foerthan said:

Philhelm said:

I've completed it solo on two occasions, once as F/M/C and once as F/M. The beginning is kind of rough (get the wand of fire), but once you get some levels on you, it's a breeze. There is only one fight later on that's a significant challenge, and that is the *SPOILER* fight where portals open up around the room *SPOILER*. It's difficult to take them all out before too many additional enemies spawn.

The last fight can be mildly challenging, but stocking up on magic resistance stuff makes it a breeze along with other spell protections.

Also, unlimited invisibility potions are incredibly broken.

I feel like a gimp then. I rage quitted since I can't defeat Baeloth with a *full* party, much less solo. I'm running a Human Blade, a Half-Orc Berserker, a Dwarven Fighter, a Human Swashbuckler/Mage, a Human Cleric, and a Half-Elf Mage.

I guess I need better items.

• XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    The hardest round in my opinion is the fire round before Baeloth. The only one that gave me any trouble. Easiest round was by far the spider round, one fireball and I won, bahahahaha.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Yeah, had tremendous fun playing it and talking with the various vendors.
    I wasn't too impatient about it but now I'm really glad they did it.
    There are some fights that require thinking. But overall the difficulty is not that high.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Splod said:

My question is whether you set Varsuvius up as a male or a female? I don't believe BG handles gender neutral.

Yeah... I had to compromise. Male looks (flat, unlike BG's women who are all boobies), female voice.
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    Seems like they got the difficulty just right then, with half of you bitching cos it's too easy and the rest bitching that it's too hard.

There seem to be a lot of people in other threads complaining that The Black Pits sucks, in a lot of reviews as well they bitch about it.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2012
    @agris Haisenberg! Hell yeah!
  • ToxicToxic Member Posts: 30
    Just finished tier 2 last night and can't wait till work is done and over with so I return once more to the pits. Great way to test out char builds or party combos or just a great way to spend an hour or two hacking and blowing things up.

I tried to do a solo run I got to the part where Baeloth summons the bandits he snagged from the bar with the gnoll in t1 before my face was smashed in.
    Jorkan said:

I never replayed a fight, what's the advantage of that? Should I do that to get more money? At what level do we max out? How do I beat the final boss?

The point is to level (I don't know what the level cap is. I had 450000 xp when I finished.) And get money so you can buy all the awesome things then import into BG and murder the world. :D
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I don't really see why people would bitch about it, it's not part of the main quest and is fun if you enjoy party combat in the IE. I'm not sure how it was balanced, but it was totally beatable with a brand new party all starting at level 1 with not shit for gear or gold. I think it would be waay too easy if you imported characters from the main game with higher exp, gear and gold.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Has anyone tried buying some of the cool magic items in bp, then importing into bg?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Raistlin82, I love the Order of the Stick party. I assume they have the right character classes and everything? You know, Roy is a straight fighter, Durkon is a cleric (of Helm, maybe, since no Thor?), Haley is a thief (or maybe thief-fighter?), Elan is a bard (blade would fit his later character development arc), Belkar is a ranger, and Vaarsuvius is a mage (what specialty? I think they said that in the comic once - whatever spell school teleport is from is in his/her opposed school.)

Anyway, fantastic idea. Where did you get the portrait set?
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012

@Raistlin82, I love the Order of the Stick party. I assume they have the right character classes and everything?

As close as I could.
    - Roy is a generic fighter, even though Berserker would have been better ("YOU. BROKE. MY. SWORD!")... but it makes more sense to keep him LG.
    - Durkon is a generic cleric (because Thor is not part of this setting).
    - Haley is a thief.
    - Elan is a JESTER: the jester's songs DON'T HELP his allies at all, but they CONFUSE his enemies. Fitting. ;) Plus, a Blade is way too effective for Elan, with or without character development. :P Also, he's NG, because CG wasn't possible, and CN wasn't fitting.
    - Belkar can't be a ranger in 2nd edition. But since he's supposed to be a Ranger/Barbarian, I made him a Barbarian that dual wields. It fits his apparently endless HP pool, and his behaviour.
    - Vaarsuvius should be specialized in Evocation, IIRC, barring Conjuration and Necromancy. This is not feasible in BG, so I made him/her a generic mage and tried to make the spellbook as similar as possible. I even gave him/her Summon Familiar, but then I realized his/her alignment's familiar is a bunny, so I reloaded without it. It's implied the raven is always with him/her, even when you don't see it. ;)

Stats, weapons, spells and other details are taken from this thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253978

I tried to keep it as close as possible (man, do they have crappy stats!)... the largest difference is that, for Elan to be a Bard in 2nd edition, he needs INT 13+. Unconceivable!
    Anyway, fantastic idea. Where did you get the portrait set?
    For the small ones you see in the picture, I edited this iconic banner:

For the large and medium portraits, I edited this beautiful piece of art by Tensen01 that I found on DeviantArt:
    http://tensen01.deviantart.com/art/OOTS-Lineup-54812251

If anybody's interested, I can make a new thread and share all the portraits.

PS: I do not own the characters. Order of the Stick is a webcomic series, and it belongs to the author, Rich Burlew.
    You should all go read it right now.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
    Post edited by Raistlin82 on
    ajwz said:

Has anyone tried buying some of the cool magic items in bp, then importing into bg?

Yes. You get the items that the imported char has in their inventory when you start BG, and the xp (or scaled back to 161k if you had more).
  • mirkmirk Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012

Yes, you should :)

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Raistlin82, oh wow, that mural from Deviant Art where the guy repainted the stick figures into real people is awesome!

You made me think of another reason to make Elan a jester - his deity! You know, the great god Banjo. His avatar is a clown with a banjo. And a sockpuppet on Elan's hand. (chuckling just thinking about it)
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    mirk said:

Yes, you should :)

You should indeed. I had no idea this comic even existed, until I read a thread here on the board where people were sharing their favorite pages (panels? strips?). I got curious, and now I've had read the whole series trice, and I'm waiting for the author's thumb to heal and for updates to commence. :)
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I've just had a genius idea:

Cleric of Banjo (Bard Kit)

Despite the name of this illustrious kit, the great god Banjo only accepts those capable of spreading merriment and joy into his fold. Those who follow Banjo will find themselves astonished by the new powers they exhibit.

Advantages:

Has the Bard Song of a Jester.

+1 Charisma

Wild Magic (with all that entails)

Disadvantages:

-1 Intelligence

Must be Good or Neutral (Banjo is a Benevolent lord)

But what if you're evil?

Cleric of Banjulhu (Bard Kit)

The clerics of the Slumbering Power Banjulhu are bold indeed, for only they dare to harness the power of the mad lord, he who guides the damned further astray.

Advantages:

Has Chaotic Commands

Wild Magic

Disadvantages:

-1 Intelligence

Must be Evil or Neutral

I'm not sure if this is balanced, but I'm seriously considering learning how to create kits just to bring further glory to Banjo!