Skip to content

Ridiculous Ways to Win Great Battles (Spoilers for BG2 and The Black Pits)

Ever have one of those moments where what should be an epic clash of the titans turns into an hilarious anti-climax because the boss failed a saving throw at the wrong moment?

I just completed the Black Pits for the first time. I was all geared up for a tough fight with Baeloth ... who got a single spell off before being laid low by an Emotion spell from my Bard. He just lay there in the middle of the Arena while my party killed his colleagues (the grey dwarf was quickly Petrified by a Chaos Orb from the same Bard) and then pounded him into Drow pate. I guess he was really upset by our winning streak. (Obviously, the moral of the story is that Bards rock.)

Years ago, I was fighting the last battle with Irenicus in hell with my Druid, when he succumbed to her Creeping Doom. It was pretty funny to wear him down with ranged weapons while he ran around in a panic, covered in bugs.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, "Sleep 2.0" is almost as badass as the original, Enchantment is just that plain overpowered.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I just took out Aec'Letec in such a fashion. I was desperately summoning creatures to distract him while my fighters took out the surrounding cultists... and one of my ghasts managed to stun the demon lord. All he ever got off was one stun-gaze attack before getting held for the rest of the fight.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I remember another member in this forum killed Firkraag the red dragon in bg2 with the first hit of the Quivering Palm. A bit anticlimactic considering he buffed himself crazy prior battle.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    edited December 2012
    Minsc hit that Black Dragon near the end of the game with the Vorpal Blade and it failed it's save vs. Death.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Dragons fought after the underdark is cake.

Dragons fought right after chateau irenicus are another matter entirely.

My best kill with firkraag was with a level 8 party on vanilla, 10 with the tactics/Scs2 mods installed.
    Wow. I just beat Sarevok with my PC disabled the whole fight. I rolled an excellent fighter/thief, and had him all ready to start backstabbing the hell out of Sarevok. I had gathered an invisibility right, multiple invisibility pots, upped his strength to 19... then, when I tried to get a sneak attack off on one of his mages, he got slammed with web and stinking cloud.

By the time those effects cleared it was all over. Literally, Sarevok died exactly as the crowd-control effects wore off. It was an exciting battle and I'm impressed with myself for doing it with only NPCs, but not having an epic showdown between my PC and Sarevok cheapens it for me.

Then, the game crashed with no ending cinematic =(
    ARKdeEREH said:

Several years ago I charmed Sarevok and then used him to kill his associates. Then I had him wander around a while until I got bored and tried to use the MoveToArea cheat to send him to a different level in his charmed state. I don't think it worked, but I won shortly after that with him still alive.

That... is awesome.