Skip to content

Hardest Class to play, Challenge yourself? or Suggest it here

kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
Ok, I got 3 heroes 3/4 of the game and got bored of them so I created probably the most difficult class ive ever come across yet.

Try playing a Mage/Divinest using minimal spells that are not from your school. I reckon this guy is going to obliterate enemies in bg2 as a massive support mage though at a high level.

Anyway any other hard class someone believes should be added here, I got to say as a divinest you get a lot of gold early cause of your identify so you can buy more but you need to reach at least level 3 to be of any use as a minor support caster.

Comments

• kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    Severon said:

As a diviner you should see into the end of prologue events and avoid it all together, leaving you both to hide away forever. Game over. Happy ending.

would be funny if the prologue changed and said Nestled atop the ehem never mind gorion and his ward stayed home and lived happily ever after.

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Monk.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Make a fighter with minimum STR, DEX and CON, then put your proficiency points in clubs and katanas. :)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @kilroy_was_here , I believe he meant the hardest class when played in a regular way (which makes fighters the easiest class heheh)

Monks are pretty hard to play at the beggining...

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

Make a fighter with minimum STR, DEX and CON, then put your proficiency points in clubs and katanas. :)

But there are many people already doing this because they hate having good stats for their characters. I'm quite sure somebody has already finished the game with a 8/8/8/8/8/8 character, solo, insane rules. ^_^
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

I'm quite sure somebody has already finished the game with a 8/8/8/8/8/8 character, solo, insane rules. ^_^

That would be impossible - as in, not "really bloody hard" -impossible, but rather that the game won't let you: all classes have minimum ability score requirements, all of them require at least 9 in at least one score, and they won't let you put points under that.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    hardest solo would be wizard slayer and nothing is hard with team.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    ....what constitutes minimal? I mean sure, Wizard Eye tanks with the best of them pre-patch...but...other then True-sight or it's lesser brothers, there's really not a whole lot in the divination school, support or otherwise..and due to the 16+ minimum wisdom, your lore is actually pretty decent, even at the beginning, so ID isn't even that big of a boon..and you get a free copy in candlekeep so any non-conjurer would have it.

Why no enchanter?

Your mage will essentially be a guy who throws darts and shoots off wand effects at people till they die. Occasionally id'ing a cursed item for free, combating illusions, or revealing a map by some means.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lurimaxlurimax Member Posts: 28
    Solo as a bard or a fancy druid subclass (totemic springs to mind)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    A solo wizard slayer is easy...boring, due to lack of variety...but easy. It's just a matter of having the strength to carry a big pile of weapons to block all possible status effects, without being able to use str belts.

It was one of the only times I could justify making Crom Faeyr for the str bonus.

That was probably me, as I've done that before....but I used tutu, instead of BGT..if that's what it implied.

It wasn't a no-reloads though, that final battle was insane, and took a dozen or more tries. The rest actually wasn't that bad.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    all classes are soloable but i would still say wizard slayer is hardest of em
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Truth to be told, any class is viable and doable. Some are a bit less - try playing a non-kitted bard or non-kitted druid. Or a solo monk.
    However, with a group of 6 ppl, one spoony bard is not a showstopper. Soloing or low-manning would be more interesting though.

What I'd rather twist this into would be - *interesting style of play* with a non-cheesy class + low manning (less than 3-4 chars in party) the game.
    Like :
    a) assasin focused on backstab - and struggle with trying to get enough points into hide in shadows+opening locks and traps.
    b) bounty hunter solo - try to solve encounters with traps and preparation.
    c) monk - struggle with a char almost unusable till lvl 7
    d) bard (no kit) - and without any other mage in the group
    e) druid (no kit) - no other healer in group
    f) ... wizard slayer and no mages in group? (would a wizard slayer want to bond with them? no!)
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    @Southpaw f) ...I guess (s)he would if it was a childhood friend - Imoen! ;)
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I like @chow 's idea. The monk is one of the more challenging characters to take through BG1, barring intentionally gimping oneself. Single class druids eventually get fantastic level 5 spells, and imo outperform clerics in BG1, so I don't think that would be particularly difficult.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Chow said:

I'm quite sure somebody has already finished the game with a 8/8/8/8/8/8 character, solo, insane rules. ^_^

That would be impossible - as in, not "really bloody hard" -impossible, but rather that the game won't let you: all classes have minimum ability score requirements, all of them require at least 9 in at least one score, and they won't let you put points under that.
    Doable. I've done that w/ a sorcerer w/ stats 3/3/3/9/3/9 in BG2+ToB. You always start w/ some stats, just subtract the score to get the minimum.
  • LuthoreLuthore Member Posts: 43
    Chow said:

BUT the game doesn't penalize you for losing stats after creation, even if it disqualifies you from being able to use class abilities. Minsc with his 8 wisdom comes to mind. I suppose you could find just the right class to reach a min of 9 in a required stat and then lose it to so in game stat killing effect.
    IIRC drinking the iron ore poison will drop you 1 point of con.

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    The only class I ever soloed BG1 with was a dwarven fighter who used the cursed sword of berserking (he killed everything ever). I generally love to run a party though. In terms of party composition, I'm trying something new with my swashbuckler run by having Jaheira be the only spellcaster in the entire party. I also am using Rasaad, which as mentioned was not an exceptionally easy task at lower levels (now that he's level 8 he actually does pretty well). I wasn't trying for a really hard challenge, just a fresh style of play: beat everything to a pulp without mage support (usually I *am* a mage and I have about 2 more in the party).

Also in terms of playstyle, one thing I've often done in the past is to choose the NPCs with the funniest dialogue, obviously this is subjective. An example lineup for me would be: Minsc, Xan, Xzar, Alora, Tiax, charname. A party like that also has FANTASTIC banter between the good and evil characters. I'm even going to give Khalid and Jaheira a pass as being relatively amusing on dialogue ("What now? Need your pantaloons pressed?").

Trying some high-concept groups would be fun, such as all-mages, all-divine casters, all-thieves/bards, etc. I'm not saying it would be a *challenge* (for that, play a wizard slayer with minimum stats on solo, insane mode with no reloads... I'm not masochistic enough for that btw), just a completely different play experience. Think of the all-rogue group: simultaneously all leaving stealth at the same instant to backstab the crap out of a team of baddies. And then, if it doesn't work, getting your teeth knocked in!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    All mages can be very challenging early on - I did a group like this once - think I made it into Cloakwood before some other oddball group idea called me away...
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I dunno about worst class but now that I'm thinking about it. I've been wanting to play a blunt weapon oriented character and maybe a warhammer using wizard slayer would be fun. I could use Crom Faeyr most of the time and then work on Axes. Maybe I'll make life even more difficult on myself and not allow myself to dual wield come ToB.
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2012
    For me it's rather a certain character type, I don't like gnomes (nothing against them but I don't like them) same goes for wizard slayer fighter kit, also I have never found good use for darts.
    But what I did purely out of curiosity; gnome wizard slayer with dart specialization (going for high mastery), although insane APR for darts make's it appealing, it's everything I don't like.
    Post edited by Carston on
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Nah, Kensai can't use missile weapons
  • CarstonCarston Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2012

Nah, Kensai can't use missile weapons

Ops my bad, had to even check the character I had done, gnome wizard slayer it is, I keep confusing kensai and wizard slayer for some reason. Fixed my post.
  • Prince_of_LiesPrince_of_Lies Member Posts: 90
    Assassins are... Interesting to play solo.