Skip to content

Imoen just ran in an Ogre with her bow... again ... and got smashed... again.

Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
EDIT : This bug was fixed in previous patch. But patch 8 (with Italian language) marked the return of this bug, amongst others.

After finishing the game with my Cavalier, I have begun starting over with a Fighter that will be dualed in Cleric.

I went with Montaron and Xzar and started looking for that Ogre just south FAI thanks to my metagaming memory of mine.

Imoen with her bow
My fighter with his warhammer and his plate armor
Monty, casting magic projectiles from afar (with the wand).
Xzar casting Larloch's minor drain.

Eveybody went fine until Imoen responded with her bugged default script to go in close contact with the ogre, with her bow.

She did not last long. And yes, she had arrows in her quiver.

Default script is bugged. It has been reported, we're waiting for the fix.

You will then say : take the ranged script !

The ranged script is not appropriate => why ?

- When at close range, the NPC will switch to melee weapon and start hacking the ennemy.
- At medium range, it will flee very far instead of shooting arrows, and then only will start to fire.

=> I only want the character to stand his ground and fire, since enemies are already attacking my best armored characters.

In the original games (Vanilla BG, Bg2), the scripts were working correctly (Ie : they stay where they are -or get in range with a ranged weapon ; they go to melee with a melee weapon).

Currently, it's better to deactivate the AI if you don't want your characters to stupidly meet their end, and move one by one the characters.

So what's the point having the AI options activated ?

Post edited by Aasimar069 on

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I've encountered something very similar too with characters setup with the AI scripts, to the point at which I turn them off, unless really needed (e.g. in a dungeon making sure the "Thief Passive" script is on my trap-finding thief, so that they search traps all the time), but I would prefer the AI scripts to work correctly and not send characters using ranged weapons into melee combat...

Also, characters don't always seem to respond to commands and/or sometimes one of them seems to get left behind from a party move order, even though all have been selected - what's that all about?
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    This is another issue that still must be fixed... maybe in patch 4 ? ;-)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Yep the bug is highly annoying. Safana does it with darts too. Even if she's in Thief Passive, she'll run into melee range and I have to double check she didnt swap to her melee weapon.
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    I highly recommend turning the AI off. I had assumed that most people did this while playing BG? characters will always be more efficient when you actually control them yourself.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    hzf said:

I highly recommend turning the AI off. I had assumed that most people did this while playing BG? characters will always be more efficient when you actually control them yourself.

See Oxford_Guy's comments about the Thief Passive script. Its highly useful. As are Thief scripts that handle hiding. Even though its best to control directly, its useful to have a default behavior available until you can command them properly. When they work right, it cuts out alot of the stupid micormanaging.

I never use any scripts that involve spellcasting though. Under D&D rules its never good to have people casting willy nilly like it is in Dragon Age.

edited December 2012
    hzf said:

This is a temporary workaround, not a solution.

Don't be lazy (speaking about recoding the scripts, not letting the computer deal with the game).

Furthermore, basic scripts are very good for dealing with thrash mobs (gibberlings, gnolls and such) because it allows to dispatch them very quickly.

I keep my sweat for the real fights.
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    I've had her on the ranged script for quite a while now, and her running away to increase range has never been a problem. The switching to melee thing is a little annoying, but hasn't caused me any actual trouble.

It may not be ideal, but for what you want it's the closest I've found for the behavior you describe.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I assume this bug(s) have already been reported?
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited December 2012
    I've never used scripts myself as i prefer the challenge of micromanaging all of my party, even the tedious task or re-engaging my thief to start looking for traps again after each battle. But i like your post as it taught me something new about how scripts work....thanks :-)
  • RanSagyRanSagy Member Posts: 13
    Any news on this? Imoen still does this now, It's kinda silly.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    It's been around since the beginning, reported for several times, and kind of sucks.
    Chow said:

It's been around since the beginning, reported for several times, and kind of sucks.

In fact, it was fixed once.

But the lastest patch brought back old bugs and, amongst them, this one.

edited May 2013

I've had her on the ranged script for quite a while now, and her running away to increase range has never been a problem. The switching to melee thing is a little annoying, but hasn't caused me any actual trouble.

It may not be ideal, but for what you want it's the closest I've found for the behavior you describe.

You don't want your archers to run away.

You want them to stand their ground and shoot the enemies, so that they go down quickly.

Your melee characters will tank them if they are close and thus attract them.

• FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    I've got my own scripts which do exactly what you require.

- Stand and attack with a ranged weapon (i.e. they won't charge the enemy)
    - Change to a melee weapon should an enemy get too close.

I set the scripts to choose a melee weapon from slot 1 (far left slot) and a ranged weapon from slot 2 (next to the far left slot). So if anyone is interested I can upload the script.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I generally don't use the scripts for precisely this reason. I merely leave the AI off and assign each character where to attack while the game is paused (I use auto-pause for most things and manual pause for even more things). It saves a lot of headache on my part.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    This isn't entirely Beamdog's fault; I've been replaying BG2 recently and have been running into similar problems. Something in the Infinity Engine seems to make AI controlled party members suicidal.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Tell her not to do it.
    edited June 2013
    Deprecated.
    Post edited by Flashheart on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2013
    I turn scripts off because I prefer to micromanage everything each party member does.

Even then, one annoying thing I've seen also in BG:EE is that when ammo of one type of arrow, let's say, runs out, but there are still other types of arrows in the remaining ammo slots, then the character starts attacking with fists rather than using whatever ammo is in the next ammo slot.
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    Lemernis said:

I turn scripts off because I prefer to micromanage everything each party member does.

Even then, one annoying thing I've seen also in BG:EE is that when ammo of one type of arrow, let's say, runs out, but there are still other types of arrows in the remaining ammo slots, then the character starts attacking with fists rather than using whatever ammo is in the next ammo slot.

This was introduced to stop characters from wasting special ammo IIRC. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the amount of ammunition you can find or purchase. Some kind of of toggle option for this behaviour would be ace.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I only turn scripts on in ToB, so I can have my tanks smash everyone on sight.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    The npc deaths i enjoy most are when i tell rangers to charm cave bears. It's like, "That's a nice bear...easy now."..CLAW+deathscream=shiulder shrug
    edited June 2013

I've attached the script (it's just a basic fight script). Remember to place a melee weapon in slot 1 and a ranged weapon in slot 2 for it to work properly.

Drop it into your scripts folder and select it in-game.

Any questions, give me a shout.

Thanks for your endeavours, but it is not what I spoke about before.

I don't want my archers to switch their weapons in close range. Neither that the flee when the enemy gets too close so that they can shoot again from afar. If I wanted so, I would have set the ranged script to them.

I just want them to stand their ground and shoot what's in range, and that's what the default script was doing.

I don't want them to switch for a melee weapon in close combat because there will always be my tanks between them and the ennemy.

By definition, even archers with swords are not fitted to fight in close range (poor life pool, poor armor, poor melee THAC0) => Imoen and Coran for instance.
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your request:

In the original games (Vanilla BG, Bg2), the scripts were working correctly (Ie : they stay where they are -or get in range with a ranged weapon ; they go to melee with a melee weapon).

I don't want them to switch for a melee weapon in close combat because there will always be my tanks between them and the enemy.

Can you define 'close combat' for your archers? How can your tanks be between your archers and the enemy, if your enemy is already in close combat with your archers?

I would have thought that *should* an enemy 'rush' your archer, you would want them to switch to melee to prevent your 'up close' enemy from getting +4 to their attack rolls *AND* to prevent your archer getting -4 to their attack rolls with the ranged weapon. These are huge drawbacks - your archer using a ranged weapon in this scenario is a sitting duck...unable to defend nor attack with much success.

If your tanks are always between your archers and the enemy, then my script won't have your archer change to a melee weapon. They will 'stand their ground and shoot what's in range'.
    Post edited by Flashheart on
    edited June 2013
    Thanks very much for this update, I'll try to check this later.

But this should not prevent Beamdog from fixing the bugs.

As said earlier, this bug was fixed before, but with the patch 8 - with Italian language, these bugs have returned.

Concerning your comments : you always have time to bring your armored characters in the front of the enemy (thanks spacebar or autopause when enemy spotted).

I agree with the fact that they switch with a melee weapon is better for their survival (I'm aware of the bonus / negative effects), but the ranged script is already doing that (and on the top, the character flees to avoid melee range).

Since they are not fitted for close combat (unless you have a full plate warrior with two a handed weapon and bow/crossbow), I have no reason to keep them close to the enemy, and if so, I switch to a melee weapon (what are the chances of Imoen vs an Ogre in this case ? ;-) ) And go fight Tazok with Imoen lol, even if you switch to a melee weapon, you won't last long.

Do I really want Coran and his 20 HP + studded leather armor tank the wyverns ? ^_^
    I will move him away just far enough so he's not / no longer targeted because one or more of my tanks draw attraction by attacking them. Furthermore, he's already in the 2nd row of characters so that he's not the first targeted.

The aim of a default script is basic attack with the selected weapon of what's in range without moving (=> they get (or are) in range and fire that's all. Nothing will attack them if paladin/warriors are already focusing the monster's attention.).

This script is satisfactory for most situations, since it allows your archers to dispatch the (lesser) enemies with minimal efforts.
    Post edited by Aasimar069 on
    Ah - I think I understand your logic.

You don't want your characters 'moving' into combat. You want them to move them manually and let the script do the firing?

I'm of the same opinion. Character positioning is critical to success and a script would be pretty bad at that - so positioning must be done manually.

The script I posted a couple of days ago doesn't/shouldn't 'move' the characters. They will stand and commence firing, but *only* if they are currently doing nothing. That means that a party should 'halt' when an enemy is spotted - because while they have an order to move, they'll carry out the move order before firing.
    Yes ;-)

That's why the best solution is to fix the default script (actually as said before it was fixed, but last patch broke it again).
    Just so that I can get to grips with the default script (and to make sure that it doesn't differ to my version), would you mind attaching your copy of the default script (from your scripts folder). You may need to zip it first.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    there is a script for archers that will only use ranged weapons and when enemies engage for melee, they retreat to a ranged distance...obviously this is bugged too. the scripts are definitely something i want to see fixed in the new patch

Just so that I can get to grips with the default script (and to make sure that it doesn't differ to my version), would you mind attaching your copy of the default script (from your scripts folder). You may need to zip it first.

It is the one in your installation folder when you DL BG:EE