Skip to content

BGEE exe. file(shortcut corruption)

GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
edited January 2013 in Not An Issue
Just got home and d-loaded the game and when i either launched it from the exe. folder in the beamdog 0766 fileit tells me it's corrupt. I get the same result when dragging the exe. shortcut to my desktop. Game runs fine if i log into the beamdog loader and click ready to play. This might simply be a typical win 7 issue or maybe it's something else entirely. Any input would be appreciated as the only thing i can think of to do atm is to physically move the entire beamdog folder directly to the C: drive as i've done with most of my other games. cheers. Win 7 is the absolute worst gaming OS ever.

Edit: After the 1st patch i was able to log in using the baldursgate.exe file in the beamdog client 0766 file without having to stay logged into the beamdog site. But the problem persists in that i can't drag the exe. onto my desktop as a shortcut it gives me a new error. Is there a workaround for this where i can put the exe on my desktop instead of having to go into this file? t's not a huge issue as i can still play, it's one of those simple things that are mildly annoying rather than a full on game breaking bug :-). It's possible i'm trying to drag the wrong exe. file to desktop maybe?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The shortcut should look like this: [path to your client]\BeamDog.Launcher.exe /launch-game 766
    I don't think it was supposed to start the game on its own.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Ok i just tried to find that file and it's the same one i've been trying to put to my desktop as the shortcut to BG:EE and keeps giving me the error. It's the baldur.exe and the path matches what you said. The error /crash message is in dmp. format but the address it tells me to send the report to doesn't exist. I sent it once and it was returned undeliverable. (support@baldursgate.com). should i be sending it to support@ beamdog or somesuch?
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2012
    Hm.. if i understand correctly, you just want to run the game by double clicking on the desktop? What you encounter is the expected behaviour for the beam dog client. It may never be patched up.

You can choose to download the custom installer instead and be done with it. If you do, the game then has its own launcher and an icon is added on the desktop. Perhaps you can uninstall, log in to the beam dog site (with the beamdog client not running), select BG:EE and click Install Now (careful, don't click "buy it" again, lol)? It's how i downladed BG:EE without ever installing the beamdog client. No guarantees it will work though. It may be that when you start the beamdog client for some other game it will start complaining. Maybe you should try contacting beamdog first.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    @Gilgalahad well, try to mail it to beamdmp@gmail.com if that doesn't work either, upload it to a file server and i will make it reach the developers.

Make sure you have installed all the patches before reporting dmps (old dmps don't help as much)

I also recommend the stand-alone installer.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    It's possible that i've been using this stand-alone installer but didn't realize it as i didn't understand it's function. I'm old school in that i don't like having to log into a site to play games like effing blizzard do. I found a post that made it clearer. I log into this stand alone client to see if it has new patches/d-loads to install, then i can launch the game and close the stand-alone client and still able to play offline. The veil of ignorance has been removed from my sight hehe. Thanks a bunch for the answers gents and sorry if i sounded a bit toopid as my grand-daughter would say, your feedback helped a lot.