Skip to content

BGEE ReInstallation Question

fealthasfealthas Member Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
hi

just downloaded BGEE

if I uninstall and wish to reinstall again

Do I have to download the game again?
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I think there's a problem with the way BG:EE handles this and I hope the developers address it eventually.

The game updater scans your 00766 folder (game data folder), then creates appropriate 766.status and 766.beam files. I believe those files tell the installer what needs to be downloaded. If they are created before you copy the contents over, then the game still thinks you need to re-download everything.

The right way to restore the game data is to first back up your game data folder. This is in your installation directory, data. Make a copy the 00766 folder. When you reisntall the game using the BGEEInstaller or the Beamdog client, start the downloader. Once it has started, exit, then copy your 00766 folder back over, overwriting any files. Then delete the 766.status and 766.beam to force the update to re-check game data.
  • fealthasfealthas Member Posts: 5
    damn.
    I thought I might be missing something.
    I sure hope they fix this quickly.
    An update to the launcher was released today. It includes a 'repair' option. It scans for missing files and replaces them. About the same thing as deleting the 766.status.

I'm glad they added it.
  • fealthasfealthas Member Posts: 5
    But if I uninstall BGEE, can I then reinstall and start playing without having to connect to the internet?
    fealthas said:

But if I uninstall BGEE, can I then reinstall and start playing without having to connect to the internet?

In theory, yes. The activation files are stored under your user account in hidden folders.

If you copy your data folder to another computer, or you delete your user account on the current computer, you will need to reactivate.