Skip to content

Amulet of Power

So I just finished The Black Pits and I happend to notice that the class requirements for the Amulet of Power have been changed. In vanilla BG2 every spellcasting class could use it. In the Black Pits, Paladins amongst orhers were not allowed to. So I was wondering weither this will stay the same in BG2EE? If so this change would annoy me alot. Level Drain is imho one of the most annoying effects in the game and I prefer playing a cavalier to a undead hunter.

So was this intentional? Will it stay that way in BG2EE? What do others think about this change?

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Paladins never could wear the amulet of power (at least not without mods, G3's tweak (not fix) pack does let them and rangers wear it), because they're a warrior class not a caster. Neither could rangers. I ended up having to use the IMoD cause it was the only source of negative plane protection from equipped my solo cavalier could use.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Was my biggest issues soloing as anything in BGII was drain level..hate that shit.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    I hope they give it back to monks. All "warrior" types (fighter, ranger, pally) can at least use the iMoD, but for a solo monk, that amulet is the ONLY way to deal with vampires, unless there are scrolls of Negative Plane Protection around that I somehow missed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Punch fast and run away :p
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    It isn't too hard to mod the item to be universally usable. Just use one of the Infinity Explorer-type programs to track down its item file, turn off all unusability flags, and save the updated file to your override directory.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Shrimp said:

I hope they give it back to monks. All "warrior" types (fighter, ranger, pally) can at least use the iMoD, but for a solo monk, that amulet is the ONLY way to deal with vampires, unless there are scrolls of Negative Plane Protection around that I somehow missed.

There are protection against undead scrolls. Also, there are a few weapons (cant recall any) that grants negative plane protection or lesser restoration.
  • EleassarEleassar Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2012
    This may seem like a stupid question, but i've never been good with abreveations: What is iMoD?
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    improved Mace of Disruption
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2012
    That, @Eleassar, would be the improved Mace of Disruption, BLUN25. (Bugger, late again...)
  • EleassarEleassar Member Posts: 11
    Hmm I'm not sure if my paladin is happy to cheat the church with fake illithium. "Cheating" Cavalier or faithfull UH that is the question. (Well, I just started an UH playthrough because I like to have both options available ;) )

But thank you all for answering my question and giving me tipps!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Don't cheat the church of fake illithium then, just dont complete the quest :p
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Ya but I kept my word I'd go get the illithium for the stupid thing and I kind gave my word to helm that I'd try to see it completed.

Alas, I don't think the god of watchers would take kindly to me not keeping my word there =(
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I never minded level drain as I normally had neg protection ready (wtf was with the short duration though!). Losing memorized spells when it did happen was irritating.

Far worse however was intelligence drain. The improved illithid mod ate my brains soooooo many times......
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Sorcerer is still able to use Amulet of Power.
    The improved rune hammer also grants negative plane protection. Use that if you dont want to cheat the churches.
  • AlsnAlsn Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2012
    @Dragonspear, don't worry about the church. When completing the quest using the fake ore from the ore merchant the church questgiver that you complete the quest at will tell you that he likes the look of the substitute material anyway because it more closely represents their faith(or something along those lines). Using the real material in order to better purge evil undead can obviously not be seen as any kind of betrayal either!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Having the foresight to make a deal with the devil to make yourself immune to level-drain? Priceless. *fist-bumps a demonic overlord*
  • KarezKarez Member Posts: 4
    @Shrimp: Just confirmed it is useable by monks, so the monk solo run gets even easier ;)
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I confirm : my pally could not use it in BG2, much to my dislike ^^ (since basically it would have meant that the Undead Hunter becomes useless).
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Amulet of Power is so strong on a fighter/mage type of char, i never leave home without it!
    amulet of power is very powerful. I like that it grants immunity (and temporary cure) to silence AND decrease spell casting speed by 1. I hate it when my stoneskin or magic missile get disrupted. Seriously? Come on!