Skip to content

New Player Combat Help/Tips

TheSaviourTheSaviour Member Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hello, this is my first time playing baldur's gate, and these sort of RPG's... and am having a bit of trouble with the combat.

1. in the group combat tutorial, i equipped the wand but when i click on it at the quick slot and then the enemy, nothing happens, they are also sitting at the back not being attacked.

2. I tried running some scripts on my characters but some worked but particularly on my own character, he just wouldn't respond and just stood there unless i gave him an order while 5 people wailed on him, despite me choosing a script that makes him attack if being attacked.

3. When choosing a weapon, i do not get what I am looking at for damage, can someone explain to me what that is?

thanks, any tips for a beginner would also be helpful
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Wrong section, try moving it to "Help for New Players: No Spoilers".

1. I have no idea why this isn't working. Check to make sure that the spell targeting icon appears after using the quick slot.

2. The scripts sometimes reset after you turn the AI off. Just make sure that AI is on and try resetting the script every time that you turn it off.

3. Are you asking about the damage notation? Such as "2d4" or "1d6+1"? The fist number is the number of dice being rolled. The second number is the number of sides on each dice. The "+1" or whatever is a flat bonus added after it is rolled. Therefore 2d4 means 2-8 damage, 1d6+1 means 2-7. This is simply inherited from PnP D&D, as are all the rules.

If this doesn't help you just look at the damage listed on the inventory screen.

Some general tips:
    Save often.
    Don't play on easy.
    Save potions and scrolls until you really need them.
    Make your main character a tank.
    And most of all, have fun. You don't have to make an uber awesome character or roleplay until your face turns purple, just play however suits you.
  • TheSaviourTheSaviour Member Posts: 4

Wrong section, try moving it to "Help for New Players: No Spoilers".

1. I have no idea why this isn't working. Check to make sure that the spell targeting icon appears after using the quick slot.

2. The scripts sometimes reset after you turn the AI off. Just make sure that AI is on and try resetting the script every time that you turn it off.

3. Are you asking about the damage notation? Such as "2d4" or "1d6+1"? The fist number is the number of dice being rolled. The second number is the number of sides on each dice. The "+1" or whatever is a flat bonus added after it is rolled. Therefore 2d4 means 2-8 damage, 1d6+1 means 2-7. This is simply inherited from PnP D&D, as are all the rules.

If this doesn't help you just look at the damage listed on the inventory screen.

Some general tips:
    Save often.
    Don't play on easy.
    Save potions and scrolls until you really need them.
    Make your main character a tank.
    And most of all, have fun. You don't have to make an uber awesome character or roleplay until your face turns purple, just play however suits you.

This pretty much answers it all but I am still unsure whether I am doing something wrong with the wands or if it is a bug. Was trying for a fairly long time resetting the battle
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    The wand is identified, right?
    Does the wand have a charge? It'll be a number in the lower-right corner of the wand's quickslot (note that it can't be seen from the inventory screen, you have to back out to the game proper.)

I always assumed wands were destroyed at zero charges, but I guess I never actually paid attention.

When you click on the wand in your quickslot, does the cursor change to the moon and stars icon that indicates a spell on the cursor? If so, the moon and stars icon will be gold when the spell can be placed where the cursor is and grey if it can't be placed in that particular area.

Assuming you've got all of that covered--sorry, had to be sure since you said you were new--it might just be a bug. Which wand are you trying to use and which character are you trying to have use it?
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    I think i know whats the problem with the wand, remember this is based on a turn-based rule-set.
    So the guy with the wand is probably "casting" the wand magic... taking it 1,2 or even 3 turns.

Usually you have the excellent magical graphics, followed by the vocation, animation and shining lights to show you that something is going on. Otherwise it will look as if the dude is just standing there...

Give him a few seconds...
    Otherwise it is some kind of bug, the tutorial section had some other bugs so i wont be surprised.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Wands are instant cast, but do count as a special action for that turn...so if you've cast a spell, attempt stealth, activated an ability, used a potion etc etc, it won't let the wand cast until the next turn starts.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    The combat tutorial is bugged and broken. Scripts are buggy and I never used them in Vanilla BG anyhow.