Skip to content

Intel Chipset/Performance Error – A complete Collection of work-arounds

Hey Guys!

First of all I – please excuse my bad English. I haven’t used it for a long time…

Second thing: If your screen is some kind of pink after character creation, try this:
End the "explorer.exe" process before running the game. Do it with the task manager or start game via batch file:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:\[add your path here]\baldur.exe
explorer.exe

So, I am using a Laptop that was worth about 300$. Its running with an Intel Core i3 with an integrated Intel HD 1000 (so the first generation of the newer integrated Intel chips). After I read a long time in this community and tested a little bit, I got the game to run. Its not perfect, but playable. I hope beamdog will work on a fix later on, but for now I want for all users that aren’t computer pros to easily configure their pc to play Baldurs Gate EE. Some ideas I found in the Forum, some ideas are general proposals.

1. Update your Graphic Card Drivers!
Yes – it IS important. Can make a huge difference. As mentioned often, try this tool if you are on Intel hardware (works only with the Internet Explorer): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng choose “Intel Driver Update Utility”

2. Edit the Graphic-Card configuration
Usually on the Control Panel there should be an Intel Icon. Double click it, choose “advanced configuration”. Now you should select 3D on the left panel and select “Performance” over “Quality”.

3. (On a Laptop) Edit the Energy Management
This can make a difference, too. The Chipset can perform with more power if you choose it on the energy management. Therefore, click on the battery downright in windows. Balanced should be activated. Put this configuration on “full power” or “all time high”, something like that. Maybe someone could write the English names as a post!

4. System Cleanup/Autostart programs
This is easier as it sounds. I would recommend this tool: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner . Its freeware and really good. First of all use the cleaner. This will delete your saved passwords on any Internet Explorer, so be carefull with it. Click “Start Ccleaner” downright in the program. After that, I would recommend to clean your registry. First search for errors, then correct them. After that please select extras -> Autostart. This are all programs that will start if you start your pc. Deactivate all programs that aren’t necessary. Restart your PC! Maybe you could do aHDD-Defrag now…
5. On Windows 7 – Improve your System-Performance
Select your control Panel again. Now Select System. Now select something like “More System Setting Options”, it’s the last point on the left. A new Window will open. Select the First configuration button, put the settings to the best performance. Maybe this wont make windows look better, but will increase your performance.

6. Compatiblity Mode
I think most of you will now this by now, but I will mention it to make this “guide” complete. Open your Baldurs Gate Folder, usually C:\Programs(x86)\Baldurs Gate… . Right click Baldur.exe, click on properties. Select Compatiblity, “Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95”, Disable visual themes, Disable Desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, Run this program as an administrator. Will make a difference definitely.

7. Change openGL mode
As Nathan already mentioned… Go to your documents, Baldurs Gate, Baldur.ini, right click -> edit and do the following:
INSERT INTO options ROWS (
'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1', <- You have to add this!
'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',

8. Turning down Graphics
The user NinjaScientifics sets down the graphics and had a slightly improvement on playing. Add this to baldur.ini:

'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '0',
'Game Options', 'Weather', '0',
'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '10' ,
'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '0',
'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '1',

I would recommend to experiment with it!

As I made a lot of English mistakes I would be thankfull for corrections and tips. I wanted to make this collection to make it easier for you to configure your pc, without long searching time in this forum 
Would be happy about feedback! You can ask questions anytime of course, I will try to help you.
G
Fckthwrld
KerthalZeckulBarbaJoeTJ_HookerRYAN94

Comments

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Thanks for all this.

Quick question: I believe I have downloaded the right drivers for my graphic card (running XP on Intel 4000 Series Chipset), directly from Intel using the link provided above. I've downloaded the zip version, unzipped and when I launch the Setup.exe I get "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Any idea?
  • fluffybunny2012fluffybunny2012 Member Posts: 10
    Is it a 32- or 64 bit driver you downloaded/system you use?
    are you sure youre using an intel graphic cards? you could check that in control panel/device manager!
    whats your notebook name/product number, maybe i find the right driver for you :)
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    It is really kind of you to offer help.

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3

On laptop Fujitsu "Lifebook"
    Intel (R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU
    P8700 @2.53GHz, 2.95GB of RAM

My "Display Adapter" is Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Driver version: 6.14.10.5225
    Driver Date: 26/01/2010

I downloaded from the Intel link:

Microsoft Windows* XP 64-bit
    Windows* Embedded Standard 2009 (1)
    Driver Revision: 14.42.15.64.5420

cannot install. I guess I downloaded the wrong driver but can't find the right one.
  • rkelly3001rkelly3001 Member Posts: 4
    i told FcktheWrld id post english settings so heres whats up....

1) Goto control panel, when the control panel popsup and the navigation menu appears along top the window.

2) Click in the box so it says Control Panel. Add a \All Control Panel Items so it now looks like this

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items

3) Next type \Performance Information and Tools

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools

4) Next on the left hand pane click *Adjust Visual Effects*

5) A new window title Performance Options appears with 4 radio buttons. Click the one that says Adjust for best performance. Then apply

Your windows will go from windows 7 look to retro old school windows. When this happens your in like Fynn. Start up the game and your video performance should be good 2 go.

I was having issues in the Friendly Arm Inn when it was rendering all the characters in the Inn. Framerate was piss poor and unbareable. After adjusting the setting its like grease lightening. The only gripe is you will need to change this setting back if you want windows 7 look n feel and then change it to best performance when you want to play the game.

fluffybunny2012
  • fluffybunny2012fluffybunny2012 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks rkelly! I'd like to mention that this "trick" will increase your overall system performance, not only in BG.

@Ignatius: I cant really say what you downloaded, seems not really like a driver to me, if thats the filename... Could you try this Driver right here, please?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&amp;DwnldID=21828&amp;lang=eng&amp;OSVersion=Windows XP *&amp;DownloadType=Drivers
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Does anyone know why @Fckthwrld got banned? He seemed like a nice and helpful guy. I suppose it could have been his username, but they could have just changed it to something else.
    bbear
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @TJ_Hooker I believe it had to do with his username and his attitude towards being asked nicely to select an alternate, but you can message @Aosaw for more information.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I asked him to choose a new username that was more appropriate, and he wasn't able to select one. I welcome him to return, but I had to close the account for the reasons @Nathan already stated.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Aosaw said:

I asked him to choose a new username that was more appropriate, and he wasn't able to select one. I welcome him to return, but I had to close the account for the reasons @Nathan already stated.

Ah, that makes sense. Weird that he'd rather get banned than change his username.
    WulfyPeteAtoms
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited December 2012
    @TJ_Hooker oooops. Okay, turns out he really was acting like a douche as well. So, it's fixed in that his name is now pretty.

But, he's still banned.
    Post edited by Nathan on