Skip to content

New Abilities

Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
When Trent first began tweeting about improvements that BG:EE would bring, one of the things he mentioned was the addition of new abilities. Now, whether or not these 'new abilities' were meant to be included with the Blackguard kit is unclear, but I have yet to see mention of it in the list of improvements.

I'm interested in seeing abilities similar to the HLA of ToB (but much weaker for low level play) within BG:EE for classes who lack spells or other activated abilities. I believe that special abilities for all classes would allow for more complex strategic options, as well as more active involvement in the combat actions of warrior and thief characters.

I want this discussion to be used for suggesting combat abilities appropriate for the non-magic user classes. Feel free to list any special abilities you want to see implemented along with the class, race, level, ability score, and other requirements. For now, let's make the assumption that one "rank" is gained for every 1000 experience points, doubling for each previous rank (1000 for the first rank, 3000 (1000+ 2000) for the second, 7000 (3000 + 4000) for the third, 15000 (7000 + 8000) for the fourth, etc.)

I'll start off:

Stunning Blow
Class Pool: Warrior
Level Req: 1
Other Req: Str 13+
Your next attack, if it connects, forces your opponent to make a Saving Throw vs Death or be stunned for 1d2 rounds. They recieve a -1 penalty on their save for every 3 points that your Strength exceeds 13. Usable once per day per rank.

Cleave
Level Req: 1
Other Req: Str 13+
For the next 2 rounds any excess damage you do with a physical attack is transferred automatically to the next nearest hostile creature in melee range (only base damage, no elemental damage or backstab). Usable once per day per rank.

Flanking
Class Pool: Warrior, Rogue
Level Req: 2
Other Req: Dex 12+
Whenever you and another friendly creature engage the same enemy you both receive a +1 THACO and +1 damage bonus (multiplies with backstab). This stacks for each character possessing it, up to +2 THACO and +2 damage. Passive; always active. Can only be taken once.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The problem with adding these kinds of abilities to the game is that it causes balance problems and BG1 was designed for only base classes.

Overhaul probably already has a lot of balancing to do with just the addition of the BG2 kits to BG1.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I like the idea of these "pseudo-feats", but I have to agree with Tanthalas, it would probably be too much of a balance issue.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    You both make a valid point, but I wanted to compile a list of possible abilities as a suggestion to the team at Overhaul. I'm sure that experienced players who are interested in seeing abilities will be able to list reasonable ideas.

If you don't care for the idea then say so, it's very well possible that it's a very niche desire. But if your concern is that Overhaul won't have time for it (which they probably won't) let them decide for themselves.

If nothing else this could serve as a list for postship DLC or the modding community.

Power Shot
    Level Req: 3
    Other Req: Dex 15+
    For one round you make only a single attack with your ranged weapon. This shot gets a +3 THACO bonus and a +3 damage bonus. Usable twice per day per rank.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    These are all from 3e, and I'd have a problem with including them in a 2e game. It's a sort of nasty power creep that I really didn't like in 3e. Allowing Kits is enough to me- as they give hindrances as well as bonuses. It seems like less of a outgrowth of class and racial abilities, and more of a "How many more powers can I stuff into this sack I call my character?"
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Eh, I'm actually all for giving mages some weak cantrips.

But like you said, the developers are the ones that decide what to include.
    My intention is not to create powercreep, it's to create new and interesting tactical choices. Dragon Age, Guild Wars and even Icewind Dale had similar 'pseudo feats'. They don't encourage pack-it-on play, but instead careful combinations of abilities for optimal performance.

In most parties, combat consists of managing your spellcasters while you play a passive role in controlling other characters. In multiplayer especially, playing a nonspellcaster can be unengaging. If you agree with kits because they have drawbacks, then give an example of an ability with a drawback (Power Shot for example requires you to sacrifice 1 or 1 and 1/2 shots in a given round for a single powerful one).

I'm not asking the community to post overpowered abilities, only those that can have meaningful impact on combat.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Ulfgar_Torunn Okay, I can see that. When I did eventually take up 3e, I never took Power shot. I always took the accurate shot ability so I could fire into combat without killing party members by accident!
    @LadyRhian I always thought the rules for firing into melee were weird. Does the 50% chance to hit your ally apply only if you miss? If not, then I'll never understand why an expert archer with a high attack bonus is actually more likely to damage their own party than a neophyte with a poor attack bonus.

Parry
    Class Pool: All
    Level Req: 3
    Other Req: None
    By accepting a -3 penalty to THACO you gain a +3 bonus to AC for as long as the next three rounds. Only functions when you are attacking a hostile target. Can be toggled on and off up to two times a day per rank.*

*Turning on and then off (or the duration running out) counts as one time.

Should you be able to use parry whenever you want (toggle on and off) at a larger THACO penalty(-6)? Or a limited number of times per day at the present penalty? Share your thoughts. And don't forget to submit ideas of your own; I'm curious about what other people have in mind.