Skip to content

Please, bring BG2 style party member banter into BG1.

valgrothvalgroth Member Posts: 13
This would by far be the greatest improvement to an already excellent game.

Comments

• AndyrAndyr Member Posts: 14
    I don't know whether you are aware already, but we had a mod to do this for BG1 'Tutu': http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/index.php

(I have not yet read enough here to know whether the mod would work if installed on BG:EE or not.)
  • valgrothvalgroth Member Posts: 13
    I downloaded that and have it running on easytutu, but so far haven't noticed a difference except that they say small things to each other outside of the dialog window. I often miss what they say too. Right now I've followed the main quest a little bit past Nashkel mines, just exploring now. Possibly I messed up the installation, but it otherwise works fine. I kinda stopped playing it though, because I'm waiting for BGEE.
    edited July 2012
    We put in a timer in BG1NPC which generates dialogue-window banter every so often (as in BG2), although I forget exactly how long the timer was. The comments outside the dialogue window were present in regular BG1.
  • Pixel_KaiserPixel_Kaiser Member Posts: 7
    Woah, hey there Andyr. I haven't seen you around the Internets in ages. I dunno if you remember me, but I use to go by "Tameon the Dragoon" in the BG mod scene.

But yeah, I'm still kind of confused about what they're even contractually allowed to do with BGEE. I heard talk that they can't alter existing dialogue, but I don't see how that would keep them from adding banter and whatnot.

If they're adding entirely new party members, then yeah, I think adding banter to the OG crew is even more of an appealing idea. The new guys will presumably be pretty talkative, which would clash with the more silent original characters.
    Ok, wasn't aware that they were already there, since last time I played this game I was 10 or 11, now 23. I then never got around to playing BG1 again until this year.
    Hi Pixel_Kaiser, yes I remember your old handle. :)

Woah, hey there Andyr. I haven't seen you around the Internets in ages. I dunno if you remember me, but I use to go by "Tameon the Dragoon" in the BG mod scene.

But yeah, I'm still kind of confused about what they're even contractually allowed to do with BGEE. I heard talk that they can't alter existing dialogue, but I don't see how that would keep them from adding banter and whatnot.

If they're adding entirely new party members, then yeah, I think adding banter to the OG crew is even more of an appealing idea. The new guys will presumably be pretty talkative, which would clash with the more silent original characters.

The one thing I wish for most out of BGEE is, that they would bring back the old voice actors and make BG2 style banters. One of the greatest improvements BG2 had over BG1 was the banters. They make the companions in BG1 seem pretty boring in comparison. At least having some small interjections during some main quest and side quest dialog would already be an awesome improvement and wouldn't necessarily require voice acting.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Unfortunately, their contractual limitations doesn't allow Overhaul to add new party banters to BG1 NPCs, that falls into the "can't make changes to the old content clause".

This doesn't mean that the BG1 NPCs won't have new lines, I think they'll have something to say to the new NPCs and about the new areas/quests, but it won't be the numerous party banters that exist in BG2.

Hopefully the BG1NPC mod will work with BGEE. Its a really great addition to BG1.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Tanthalas said:

Unfortunately, their contractual limitations doesn't allow Overhaul to add new party banters to BG1 NPCs, that falls into the "can't make changes to the old content clause".

That's a bummer.

Ah well, that is what the BG1NPC Project mod is for. Besides, the mod was so well written and executed that I would consider it canon in my own little Fae'run universe. :)

Tanthalas said:

This doesn't mean that the BG1 NPCs won't have new lines, I think they'll have something to say to the new NPCs and about the new areas/quests, but it won't be the numerous party banters that exist in BG2.

Hopefully the BG1NPC mod will work with BGEE. Its a really great addition to BG1.

""1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this"

Unless it's been officially stated that it won't happen, I think you misunderstood this. My request does not involve any altering of the old joinable's dialog (There isn't even much to edit, since they barely say anything anyway.) Just some new dialog/banters, so that the npcs aren't so boring in comparison to BG2. I'm not asking for any changes to old content, just new content that brings BG1 party npcs on par with BG2.

However I am still new here, and haven't had time to read all the announcements etc... but I checked out what they could/couldn't do in the stickies (before starting this topic), and this seems totally reasonable for them to add to the BGEE experience
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @valgroth - I believe Trent Oster once specified that the clause in question also prevents them from adding banters, interjections and romances to the old characters. This would qualify as an alteration of the original content, since BG1 NPCs are in fact original content and they originally came with no banters, interjections and romances. I would have liked that kind of party member interaction in BG:EE, but I can see the rationale underneath the clause: adding banters to BG:EE that were simultaneously interesting, not banal and 100% consistent with all that happens and in said in BG2 would have been a major effort, and the chances of messing something up would have been very high.

@valgroth - I believe Trent Oster once specified that the clause in question also prevents them from adding banters, interjections and romances to the old characters. This would qualify as an alteration of the original content, since BG1 NPCs are in fact original content and they originally came with no banters, interjections and romances. I would have liked that kind of party member interaction in BG:EE, but I can see the rationale underneath the clause: adding banters to BG:EE that were simultaneously interesting, not banal and 100% consistent with all that happens and in said in BG2 would have been a major effort, and the chances of messing something up would have been very high.

Bummer... :( But if the fan made mod is good, maybe thats enough for me :)