Skip to content

[iPad] Nashkel mines: App crashes and save game corruption

RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
edited December 2012 in iPad (Archive)
I've just cleared the Nashkel mines and defeated Mulahey and his minions. After retrieving Xans blade from the chest and looting the area, I attempt to exit through the door I came in and the app crashes to home screen. When I load my game back up, both my quicksave (taken immediately after killing Mulahey) and auto save are corrupted - they both actually load up a game session of my previous quick save. The preview for my quicksave is a grey box, the preview for the auto save is my party grouped up by the exit, even though both these saves take me to a session before the fight.

I have to say, all these crashes are getting very annoying. They mostly seemed centred around the save/load screens for me too. You have to constantly quicksave in case of app crash (losing progress) but then loading seems to kill the save files quite often for me.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Anyone else seeing corrupted loads / saves like this?

Is this specific to Nashkel mines or is this a "general" problem?
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Well, the mines are the first real questing dungeon so I've only noticed it here so far, but this has happened repeatedly through my game.
  • VortexbladeVortexblade Member Posts: 10
    I only experienced 1 crash on my ipad mini sofar, after playing for about 6 hours non stop. I can't even remember where exactly.

But because of this example, I always make real named savegames after each hour of playtime.
    Rap: Is it just the quicksaves that are corrupting for you? I've never had a save/load issue on my game, but I've not used the quicksave functionality either. (Wasn't even aware you could quicksave...how do you do it? I'll check it out myself).
  • ShadiouShadiou Member Posts: 14
    I have experienced multiple crashes (probably 40+ crashes) on the load screen. This seems to particularly occur after the main character dies and I need to reload. The app crashes to my iPad home screen.

It occurs with both auto-saves and quick-saves.
  • BarryWallisBarryWallis Member Posts: 14
    @Illydth: There is a quicksave button above the help button on the left side.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Shadiou
    Have you tried rebooting your iPad before starting the game? Baldur's Gate uses a lot of memory, and I've read that it leaks a lot of memory too, which often results in crashes.

For a number of memory demanding games on the iPad I've tried, rebooting, or at least forcing all other apps to close is a must minimize crashes.

Maybe you've already done this, and you may be father into the game than I am, in which case fell free to disregard my advice. :-)

I've had maybe 3-4 crashes, can't remember the particulars, but I do believe a couple of them was while attempting to load a game.

I haven't be to the Nashkel mines yet, so I can't comment on any issues there yet.
    Shadiou said:

I have experienced multiple crashes (probably 40+ crashes) on the load screen. This seems to particularly occur after the main character dies and I need to reload. The app crashes to my iPad home screen.

It occurs with both auto-saves and quick-saves.

Yes there is definitely something wrong with the load screen. The save game corruption seems limited to just the quicksave and auto save slots, although after you die and attempt to load a game, usually every slot has a solid grey preview picture. Attempting to load any game results in a crash.
  • misharsenalmisharsenal Member Posts: 30
    I've had about 5 crashes, and every single one has come on the loading screen, under these conditions: If I'm facing a tough battle, and do a bunch of reloads constantly (5/6 deaths followed by instant loads), generally the game exits to desktop. No corruption of the save file though.

After reading the feedback above, I tried with no other apps open (I have an iPad 4, or 3.5 whatever you wanna call it), and just to test it, kept loading and reloading. On the 18th try, it crashed to desktop. This was just crazy and extreme for me to do, but just wanted to test it out.

Either way, the crashes are infrequent, and do not disturb my play. Only noting it here so there's another case study for improvements to the game over time.
    This has happened a few more times since my last post. It seems to have a ~30% chance to occur. Here is how to replicate:

1) Make a quick save
    2) Move your party or make some changes, enough to be noticed if progress is lost
    3) Quick save again
    4) Go and find a fight, get your character killed
    5) After the cinematic, try and load your quick save:
    > If the quick save preview window looks ok, then it hasn't happened so reload and go back to step 4
    > If the quick save preview is a solid grey block, then the bug has occurred. Attempting to load this save will drop you to the home screen. When you reopen Baldur's Gate:EE and load your quick save, you'll be loading the game state from the first quick save in step 1

I can replicate this fairly consistently. I created a new character for this purpose and used the wolf outside Candlekeep or the Ogre in the wilderness where you meet Elminster.

I have also noticed a strange visual bug. Since starting a new character, my previous named saved games now have a small white rectangle obscuring the top portion of every character portrait in the save. I have taken lots of screenshots with the iPad but I haven't figured out yet how to upload these to this forum (can someone help me with this?).
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited December 2012
    T
    Thanks, posting up.
  • BarryWallisBarryWallis Member Posts: 14
    I crashed to the desktop yesterday and when I went to the load screen my last quicksave preview was grey. However, it loaded successfully and I was able to play with no further issues.
  • acurrieracurrier Member Posts: 2
    I've had this same problem. Usually happens when i've been playing for a while and I try to load a new area (has happened at least twice trying to get into the Nashkel store). Game quits, and when I go to reload my save screens are greyed out. If I try to load an auto save or quick save it reverts to my last full manual save.

I'm guessing that the crashes are memory based, not sure why the regular saves work when the auto/quick saves are lost. Are they given a higher priority in memory usage perhaps?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2012
    Moving this to the BGEE Bugs forum.

EDIT: Moved it back. Clearly I wasn't paying attention--this seems like an iPad-specific issue, so it remains in the iPad Support forum...
    It's already reported in the iPad Bugs/Issues thread.
  • ShadiouShadiou Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012

This has happened a few more times since my last post. It seems to have a ~30% chance to occur. Here is how to replicate:

1) Make a quick save
    2) Move your party or make some changes, enough to be noticed if progress is lost
    3) Quick save again
    4) Go and find a fight, get your character killed
    5) After the cinematic, try and load your quick save:
    > If the quick save preview window looks ok, then it hasn't happened so reload and go back to step 4
    > If the quick save preview is a solid grey block, then the bug has occurred. Attempting to load this save will drop you to the home screen. When you reopen Baldur's Gate:EE and load your quick save, you'll be loading the game state from the first quick save in step 1

I can replicate this fairly consistently. I created a new character for this purpose and used the wolf outside Candlekeep or the Ogre in the wilderness where you meet Elminster.

I have also noticed a strange visual bug. Since starting a new character, my previous named saved games now have a small white rectangle obscuring the top portion of every character portrait in the save. I have taken lots of screenshots with the iPad but I haven't figured out yet how to upload these to this forum (can someone help me with this?).

Yep this is exactly what happens to me too. Glad I'm not the only one and hope to see it fixed soon!