Skip to content

Please change the description of multiplayer on the front page.

XriahXriah Member Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in Multiplayer
I've made this case before. However, nothing has been done. I'm hoping making a new topic will draw enough attention to get this changed. Currently, on the front page, under enhacements, it states:

"Improved Multiplayer
Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together."

As we all know, this isn't true. However, new customers who might have heard about this game from a friend or through a review ect have no way of knowing this until they purchase it. There is no disclaimer. There is no notice to be found anywhere between the front page and the purchase page.

As it stands now, this is a false claim. Right now, it's been kept under wraps. However, there was another game called War Z that erupted into controversey, largely due to false claims. Yes, they were at the extreme end, but I still don't want to see a similar incident happen here.

It's also not terribly honest to potential customers. Please change the front page. I know the developers are busy but it's deceiving to leave the description as it stands now.

UPDATE: They have changed the description. Thanks!
Post edited by Xriah on

Comments

• VoidSorcererVoidSorcerer Member Posts: 33
    Heh - Beamdog is too busy to update their own front page claim of multi-player but more than happy to update the page when the iPad version was released. They'll do the exact same for when Android is released as well at this rate.

In the end, they're not willing to fix the problem and are happy to let Aosaw and others deal w/ the mess by repeating the same garbage posts over and over. "These are my suspiciions, I know nothing, but someone tweeted somewhere about somethign".
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. Calling my posts "garbage" isn't exactly going to earn you my friendship.

Also, I almost never misspell "somethign" "somethign" "SOMETHIGN" SOMETHING.

Whew.
  • XriahXriah Member Posts: 25
    @Aosaw, can you try and get their stance on this? I'm really losing faith in them and I think a lot of other people are as well.

This is not the kind of opinion companies want their customers to have.
    I sent Trent an email earlier this week. I think their hope is to fix the multiplayer features quickly enough that adjusting the website isn't necessary. Trust me when I say that it will get done, it is being worked on, it just takes time.

The website discrepancy is annoying, but I'd rather they focus on fixing the issues in the game personally. If at any point you feel that you just can't wait anymore and want your money back, send an email to support@beamdog.com and they'll try to find a solution.
    Aosaw said:

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. Calling my posts "garbage" isn't exactly going to earn you my friendship.

Also, I almost never misspell "somethign" "somethign" "SOMETHIGN" SOMETHING.

Whew.

@Aosaw I apologize if any of my post above or on the forum anyhwere seems like a direct attack against you, Aosaw. Nothing was meant to convey that message. (Perhaps I worded some posts extremely badly and made it seem that was my intention)

I am not upset at you for anything other than blindly following Beamdog and giving them the right to sit back and not respond to their client base. I understand where you're coming from and what you're trying to do - I simply belive that covering for them is the wrong approach and entirely disrespectful to me and every other community member who deservs an honest answer posted on a more reliable and easily accessible location than a tweet. A message posted BY Beamdog.

Getting a cover-up answer is one thing, getting a cover-up answer by someone other than a member of Beamdog's official crew is entirely another and is really just a shame, in my opinon.

This game is one of my favorites, in fact it was one of the very first I ever learned to play on a PC. It's very dissapointing to me when I cannot recommend the game to a single individual in my life because the only feature that would make it worth it (Multiplayer) is disabled, glitchy, broken and supposidly set to be released/fixed at an unknown time, in the unknown future, as conveyed by unoficial beamdog spokespersons.

So, the above being said, should I feel strongly about it? Yeah, I think I have every right to. Beamdog set out on a goal to make a product that already was a legend BETTER. These expectations have not been met, these promises posted on their FRONT page have not been honored. Now you say that they feel they're close enough to those features that they feel justified in leaving false information up there? Do you even understand how WRONG that is?

Now, as for my misspelling of "something", I apologize. My quote above was not an exact quote, nor was it meant to be taken as one. If I had meant to exactly quote you, I would have used our cute little "Quote" feature.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like further explanation or to speak about the subject.
    Well, part of my explanation was to offer some insight from someone who's at least somewhat familiar with the way they operate. I'm a member of the beta team, and I'm in semi-regular contact with several of the developers. You'll find that a lot of the beta team know more about what's going on, which is partly because we communicate with the developers directly and partly because we've been following the game and twitter since early March when the project was announced.

So when I post an explanation, it's not a cover-up; it's actual insight from someone who's--if not an insider--knows more about it than you.

The benefit of this is that the developers then have more time to actually develop, rather than spend a lot of time on the forums. That's why I spend so much time explaining things, and - because I apparently do it fairly well - that's why you don't see them posting in every single thread on the subject.

That said, if you follow @Nathan's posts you'll see some more concrete information, as he's actually on staff there. If you're looking for direct answers from someone on the payroll, he's a good person to ask. (Just don't spam his inbox, because much like everyone else there he does have other work to do.)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Xriah thanks for bringing this to our attention - not our intent to falsely advertise. To make a bit of an understatement - that's a pretty big oversight on our part, so our apologies! We didn't realize that particular statement was out of date and might have been misleading people. A change should be made soon. Cheers!

@VoidSorcerer I believe you're under some misconceptions with regards to the role that the moderators and beta testers have taken with this game. None of them are "covering up for us", nor have they ever been told to do so (let alone encouraged to do so). @Aosaw is doing the best he can with the information available to him - we're 12 people (seriously) and we can't be everywhere at once. Tagging me in the thread has brought it to our attention, so, a change will be made.

Likewise, as I have said many, many times: we're committed to improving the multiplayer functionality. We've made a number of patches to fix what was broken before, and have some more in the pipe. Yes, it definitely was not perfect at launch, which is unfortunate... but we'll fix it. Saying we're not willing to fix the problem is, in my eyes, quite disingenuous - aside from many statements by staff members (including myself, personally) I should hope our current track record of many patches solving issues would be enough to change your mind on that particular subject, but... clearly, that hasn't been the case.

Whatever your beef with the company, don't take it out on the moderators. If you want to rant and rave at us, and request a refund because you're fed up with our clear unwillingness to fix problems and let other people post the same garbage for us over and over again (to paraphrase), then please send us a message at support (at) beamdog.com or use the support link thing on the left side of the website directly to submit a ticket, and we'll try to accomodate you.
  • XriahXriah Member Posts: 25
    "Improved Multiplayer

Online multiplayer will be upgraded at a future date to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets will then all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together."

Faith restored.

Thank you.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    @voidsorcerer
    just have some patience..

Holidays are coming up anyway.. go have fun with your family and friends.. worry about all this stuff afterwards.

These kind of fixes don't happen over night
  • seawiedseawied Member Posts: 24
    Riolathel said:

@voidsorcerer
    just have some patience..

These kind of fixes don't happen over night

While that is true, I think people are overall a bit disappointed by how rough the game is.

I preordered the game a few days before it was original set to be released (before the November 30 pushback,) and I was expecting a completely polished game when it was set to be launched the next week. I was extremely disappointed that the game was pushed back so far with so little notice.

When we had all patiently waited for the game's release on the 30th, we had expected a finished product, not a working beta. A lot of these issues people are having should have been fixed before selling the game. Advertising that planned features are currently in the game is really shady. The webpage should be updated so that other potential customers don't have any sort of buyer's remorse if they get the game for its multiplayer capabilities.

That said, I've been pleased by how much hard work the dev team has been putting into getting these patches rolled out right away.

@Seawied
    Check the site again; it was updated yesterday.
    I feel as though I've made some players a little upset at me.....

In the end, the site was finally updated and that's a plus, well done.
    Nathan said:

@Xriah thanks for bringing this to our attention - not our intent to falsely advertise. To make a bit of an understatement - that's a pretty big oversight on our part, so our apologies! We didn't realize that particular statement was out of date and might have been misleading people. A change should be made soon. Cheers!.

This is about the biggest bunch of BS you could have posted - as I have heard from moderators that it's been brought to your team multiple times and looking at the threads over the last few weeks, you can see it has also not been hidden. But I digress.....

As for the remainder, I never EVER mentioned the idea of asking for a refund. Why was that even mentioned? I simply asked for improvement.

@Riolathel You have a good holiday season as well, my friend. Sadly, we'll both be without Baldur's Gate MP.
    edited December 2012
    @voidsorcerer
    When I brought it up earlier this week, I mentioned the note that I saw on the Windows page, which only talks about "Improved multiplayer". I had not, at that point, seen the note on the Features page, so I hadn't pointed it out.

I'll thank you not to flame the developers when they're trying to apologize. And yes, accusing them of lying in a confrontational manner is something that I would call flaming. If you can't take the apology, then the problem is yours to deal with. I've tolerated your vitriol (toward me, other members, and the development team themselves) this far, but enough is enough.

That being said, the description on the page has been changed to better reflect the feature's current state. If you have complaints about the multiplayer's current state, this is no longer the place to voice them (although you are certainly still welcome to do so here).

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.