Skip to content

Magic Resistance won't stay stacked

HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
I'm not sure if this bug is already fixed but it's definitely worth mentioning...

I have noticed that in the vanilla BG2 game I have a few items that give Magic Resistance for the NPC and all add up. Trouble is, they don't stay stacked after a while and in order for the bonuses to add up again the items would have to be re-equiped. This happens after loading a game, going to a new area or just plain resets after a while.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR:
Carsomyr: +50% MR
Kaligun Amulet: +10% MR
Ring of Gaxx: +10% MR
TOTAL: 70% MR in total but resets to 50% quite often. (Due to Carsomyr being dominant)

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
Carsomyr: +50% MR
TOTAL: 70% MR in total and stays stacked through the game.

Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Carsomyr, as confirmed with the BG2 devs, does not add 50% to MR. It sets MR to 50%, hence the behavior you're observing.
    DiscoCatrae
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2012
    CamDawg said:

Carsomyr, as confirmed with the BG2 devs, does not add 50% to MR. It sets MR to 50%, hence the behavior you're observing.

Really? Good to know it's not a bug. :P

Sorry for wasting your time, guys.

Post edited by Heinrich on
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2012
    Personally I think this is a bug. Stats should remain consistent with same items no matter what you do and no matter the order you equip them. Preferably so that if something SETS attribute/resistance to certain score, the highest SET is chosen (if multiple items are equipped) and all the rest are ignored. If there are not items that SET attribute then the bonuses are just summed up.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR:
    Carsomyr: set 50% MR
    TOTAL: 50% - 70% MR varies depending on order items are equipped

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:
    Carsomyr: set 50% MR
    TOTAL: 50% MR set by Carsomyr, rest are ignored
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    I don't think this is really going to get looked into further, I think that the reasoning would have been looked into further if there was more than 1 item you could equip at the same time that set your resistance to a certain level.

IE Carsomy: set 50% MR
    (imaginary item): set MR 60%

If you could equip both of these at the same time the devs would be forced to deal with this logic because right now it actually does make sense if you think about it as an absolute. Meaning regardless of how much MR you have when you equip Carsomyr you *should* have your MR set to 50% whether it be a penalty or a bonus.

It would stop making as much sense if it wasn't a unique property like I said above but since it is a unique effect it doesn't need to make sense. The fact that it's unique is also why it is buggy in the fact that you can make your MR be higher as long as you equip your items in a certain order whenever you progress to a new map or even buff yourself.

I personally like unique effects and items so even though it would be cool to have crazy high MR I think it actually ends up being more enjoyable being unique the way it is (and also not too powerful it's already crazy strong).
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    Even if there aren't currently two items that do the set MR mechanic, the devs should still take the time to program in the logic to handle it by consistently taking the better (or worse, I don't care) value. A) that way things are mod friendly, B) bugs are bad and likely to bite you in the rear when you least expect it -- for example, if there are two MR setting items in BG3 (assuming they make it that far).
  • ImperialSImperialS Member Posts: 7
    There should be a working difference between set to x% and +x%. So Carsomyr as item with set to x% should change basic MR to 50% at any character (decreasing Drow's 60+ MR for example if that would be possible, but it is not, because only paladin can wear it).
    With more equipped set to x% items, only higher value should apply.

So for example - How much Paladin with 10% MR from hell, 5% from Lum's machine, Carsomyr, amulet +10% and ring of gaxx should have? Depends if Hell bonus is setting MR or adding MR.
    So it should be 85% if all was ment to be stackable, which works now a little buggy as mentioned before.
    Or 75% if Hell bonus is only setting basic stat as Carsomyr.

I think 75% is right, I doubt developers ment to have characters in game with 85% magic resist, that is definetily a little overpowered.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I got it up to 100%. The behavior occurs when one loads a game or switching for another weapon.
  • ItchyDani3lItchyDani3l Member Posts: 9
    It's because of two things:

-Carsomyr is supposed to set Magic Resistance to 50%, but lets things stack on top of it.
    -Weapons are 'equipped' after ALL other items in your inventory when a map is loaded. Each time your character is reinitialized (loaded a save game / loaded a map), then it will reequip all of your stuff. (You can tell this by looking at the pile of stuff a dead character drops; the weapons will always be on the very bottom of the stack.)