Skip to content

What kit, class, multi or dual is most entertaining/has the most fun stuff to do?

It wasn't until 4th edition that the game's creators decided every class should have a multitude of abilities. The 2e Fighter can attack... and that's it.

So what do you think the most entertaining class is to play in the BG series? Not necessarily the biggest bag of tricks, but the one with the most fun.

Comments

• DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    I've been digging:

Cleric / Ranger (Half Elf), because you are great at support and great in melee...kind of a swiss army knife running around with blunt weapons.

Blackguard, it's honestly a really fun kit.

I've been playing a Berserker I intend to dual into a thief eventually that's been kind of a different deal.

Half Orc Fighter Thief with Staff specialization is something I want to try....

And Sorcerer...because I'm too lazy to read scrolls.

I do want to make a Kensai / Mage just one time to see what the fuss is about...but I think if I do he'll have to have Scimmies....

And Monk kind of intrigues me.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Baldur's Gate is the game that made me love Thieves. I first played as a Fighter, but realized that my main character wasn't the one being micromanaged like the others. He couldn't disarm traps, pick locks, scout, or sneak up and attack enemies for extra damage. The Fighter was just a one-trick pony.

Ultimately, I'd argue that the Thief/Mage would be able to most interact with the game world, and the class that I first beat the game with.
  • phoenixclphoenixcl Member Posts: 31
    So far I've played a Priestess of Helm, Swashbuckler, Cavalier and Berserker/Druid dual (all human), so here's my thoughts on each.

Priest(ess) of Helm- The Cleric is definitely a support class by itself since my Charname was not really good in the frontlines despite having decent stats. The Helm abilities are useful though, namely Seeking Sword which can help in pinches.

Swashbuckler- Definitely more fun than the Priest and more useful on the frontlines. I played her as more of a support melee/melee dps in which she attacks while Dorn and Kivan draw 'aggro' from the enemies. Dual wielded short swords since you get Shadowblade +3 and the weapon itself is in abundance.

Cavalier- Overpowered (in a good way). The most irritating thing about Baldur's Gate (in my opinion) is the poison status (seconded by fear) since it happens so often against the majority of enemies (in fact I think it's a bigger killer than Saverok himself). Immunities poison and fear already made this guy a godsend, plus with an 18 Con (and 18/93 to 19 strength) my Charname soaked up damage and dished it out. Plus having some extra healing (Lay on Hands as well as Bhaalspawn's Cure Light Wounds/Slow Poison) gave him a secondary healer role. Definitely great for a first time player or if you're looking for a smooth easy run.

Berserker/Druid- Also overpowered, but awesome. I dualled him to Druid at Level 3, choosing to take three points in Two Weapon Fighting Style and putting weapon slots in scimitars and daggers. I kept the party to 3-4 people so he would level quicker, and was a glass cannon early on. However once he grew to Level 4 in Druid and past he became extremely powerful. Add Enrage + Shapeshift (Black Bear) + Draw Upon Holy Might, not counting a 19 Strength (from the manual of gainful exercise) and he may as well have taken down Saverok by himself had the final boss had no friends along. Plus as a True Neutral character it was nice getting to mix companion alignments and not have to play as a goody two shoes.

Looking to try the Blackguard and Sorcerer on subsequent playthroughs (I love this game...)
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I would personally go for bard. Use any weapon. Cast spells. and in bg 2 the most fun stronghold quest.
  • AmeraAmera Member Posts: 29
    For pure interactivity of the main character there's really no contest to some kind of mage(or sorc) or thief/mage. You won't have a lot of buttons right away, but by the end of BG:EE and into SOA you'll basically be wanting to micromanage your character constantly. You also get to plan fun things with contingencies and spell triggers and whatnot.

• DarkovanDarkovan Member Posts: 90
    I've always enjoyed Cleric/Thief, Having healing and thieving covered by 1 toon means you can build your party anyway you want.
  • AlsnAlsn Member Posts: 97
    Any spellcasting single, multi or dual-class is going to have a lot to do while thieves can also be played in a very tricky manner(hiding around corners, setting up traps, and generally just using their thief skills to trap disarm, pick locks, dispel illusions or pick pockets).
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Melee classes -> You click on an enemy then wait and hope you roll higher, when he dies, you click on next enemy = boring

Thieves -> lot better then the melee classes as you get all sorts of interesting options. Traps and backstabbing is realy fun and all the utilites are realy nice too.

Clerics and druids -> lot of good spells that can be combined in different and intersting ways.

Mages and sorcerer -> best spells, huge amount of combinations possible, mages are more fun imo, because sorcerer becomes repetitive (you'll be using the same spells over and over again through the entire game)

Mage/thief -> combines the 2 most interesting classes into one, by trading power (single class mage) for a lot more versatility. You have the most choice of how to deal with enemies and great combination opportunities.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    The Swashbuckler is particularly enjoyable and once he hits epic levels he obtains Use Any Item which is insanely fun. Bounty Hunter becomes a bit moot as an array of amazing traps becomes available to all Thief kits. And the Assassin is nice but as said on here plenty of times, the enemies you really want to backstab are immune.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    Some of the standouts for me have been:

Half-orc Cleric-Thief (backstabbing with staves) has probably been funnest of all for me. Cleric buffs before major battles, backstabbing, cleric spells, thieving skills--there's so much there.

Half-elf or elven Fighter-Mage gives you wizard spells plus melee...

... and a dual-classed Kensai-Mage or Berserker-Mage is also extremely powerful as long as you don't mind the dual-classing mechanics. Whichever the build, I like having a Fightter-Mage dual-wield and cast spells on the fly in the midst of melee.

Half-elf or elven Cleric-Mage was really fun--so many spells to choose from, especially equipped with both rings that up the number of slots!

Pure Kensai and Monk prove to be devastating mage killers in BG2.

A Blade can be fun, pretty much in the same vein as a Fighter-Mage, except with Offensive Spin. Not as powerful as F-M though.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger - Stealth, Melee, Ranged, Spellcasting.
    Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief - Do everything except heal others.
    Half-Elf Cleric/Mage - Cast every spell in the game.
    Gnome Cleric/Illusionist - Cast almost every spell in the game; also cast lots of them.
    Half-Orc Cleric/Thief - Surprisingly awesome.
    Elf Mage/Thief - Unsurprisingly awesome.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I had a ton of fun playing through as an elven swashbuckler, I used shortbows, a longsword and one-weapon style so I wouldn't be quite as squishy on the front lines. As @phoenixcl said, I did support melee/melee DPS mostly, not that I wasn't tough but the lack of a helmet really does hurt as a frontlinesman. You get no penalty to thief skill advancement so you have an array of options in addition to solid melee and ranged capability (the swashbuckler bonus to hit and damage does apply to ranged weapons, and you can hit level 10 unlike most classes).

I will also suggest either a half-elven cleric/mage or a gnomish cleric/illusionist. Spells are fun, so more spells = more fun. Talk about a swiss army knife! You can buff to do melee if you absolutely must, but you'd almost always prefer to be raining down spells from the back line. You can heal, detect traps, command (very powerful), sleep, silence 15' radius, slow poison, and work your way up to throwing fireballs and summoning undead, among many other options. You can cover two jobs on one character and it will be more difficult to exhaust your daily spells than a single-classed character.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    The Cleric/Ranger is absurdly powerful, and a class that I've played often in both the BG series and IWD. They can tank, sneak, flank, cast cleric spells, and cast druid spells in some versions. With free dual-wield in the BG series, they're one of the most consistently useful class choices from low level to high.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I also highly recommend both the Cleric/Mage and the Ranger/Cleric, lots if options and possibilities for approaching each challenge, so you never feel like a one-trick pony.