Skip to content

The Despised (1) Challenge

How far can you get playing on Despised (1) ?

Currently in Beregost slaying everybody with Rose, a CE solo blackguard with a lust for slaughter. Officer Vai jumped me, along with Flaming Fist Battle Mages or whatever and I GTFO the jovial juggler fast as hell.. Hoping to join the Black Talon and wage a tactical genocide on Baldurs Gate. There isn't a single beating pulse left in Nashkel after the way there Guards treated Rose

Comments

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    How soon / what level did you first get your rep down to 1?
  • ArturArtur Member Posts: 35
    I couldn't handle it anymore as soon as I saw the ridiculous prices in shops.

Evil just doesn't pay...
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    My Blackadder spoof character has 1 rep...his campaign has been going fine. I did the first three chapters without even worrying about it, and he's rich as all getout from looting so much.
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    I tried it with a dwarven figher/cleric. I didn't do any unnecesary murders at all, just choose evil options in quests..etc. It was lots of fun and the battles against flaming fist wizards/soldiers realy exciting. Unfortunatly shop prices forced me to stop. 150k gold for dagger of venom was ridiculous.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I wish shop prices would get better if you had super low and super high rep.

It'd make sense. They give you good deals because they are afraid you are going to burn their shop down.

That would be really unfair to neutral though.

A perfect solution which would take a bit more time would be to add more shops that has some over lap in the same gear (multiple shops with the dagger of venom for example)

With evil, good, and neutral shop keepers, who would obviously favor people more towards their alignment.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    It would make sense with high prices if an evil party could steal items or mug the shopkeeper. As the game is now, you can't really steal significant items from stores, and the items are nowhere to be found if you kill the shopkeeper.

As the game is now, it would be better with "evil" shopkeepers with prices unrelated to reputation or an intimidation discount...
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Photobucket
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    It's obviously cheaper to buy better reputation, buy what you want, and then do a crime. Immersion-breaking, but the only way to use the shops as a despised character.
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    or dl Bg2 tweaks to fix this problem ?
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I'm surprised the merchants would even offer to sell to a mass murdering, village pillaging criminal. Would you?
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I'm legit. Now gimmie that Dagger of Venom. I need it for...benevolent reasons..honest
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    On my current playthrough, I was at despised before leaving my childhood home of Candlekeep. 15 exp per kill was plenty enough reason for me to put those bookworms and stuck up nobles 10 feet under. Managed to survive the assault when I reached the Friendly Arm inn, somehow, and now I'm finally in Baldur's Gate and plenty strong enough to easily dispose of dem guards.
    I kind of wish they would scale in level.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Severon said:

I'm surprised the merchants would even offer to sell to a mass murdering, village pillaging criminal. Would you?

Would you risk getting your throat slit by not offering him services??

You really should be able to extort these punks for charging so much
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Severon said:

You are braver than I am.

* I am a portly, middle-aged shopkeeper with 5 hp.

* A mass murdering, village pillaging criminal just threatened to kill me if I don't sell him my wares at a price consistent with what I charge someone with an average rep.

* I could sell to him, but I have morals. I'll just tell him "we don't serve your kind" and trust that his mass murdering sensibilities won't be offended. I am sure the genocidal child of the God of Murder wouldn't take offense to having me cock-block him.

While I would like to ban him from my town, once he is in front of me with his magical sword of stabbing and asking me to price the dagger of venom, I just ask if he wants it gift wrapped at no extra charge. (Then I go run to warn the guards before leaving the Sword Coast for a few weeks on that long over-due vacation.)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Normal people can stand up to thugs and villains in real life because... everyone is pretty much the same. Only an idiot tries to rob a gun store.

In D&D Land, individuals can have power rivaling gods.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I'm just going to murder the shopkeepers and clua the loot in. Bushranger bitches!
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I'll do a runthrough of this legendary concept later tonight. Screenshots to follow.
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    Perhaps Black Lilly could be the only shopkeeper whos prices go down w/ your rep.

And she could have a branch office in Naskel to help the early game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited December 2012
    I'm quite in favour of prices going down on super low reps. As said: shop keepers would be frightened of you. Totally makes sense and at least you would get one positive thing from low rep too...

@moopy said that would be unfair to neutrals, and while I am myself one, I would say: life IS unfair. Plus, chaotic neutrals like me don't give a damn! :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Yeah, the more feared the person or party, especially in a frontier wilderness like the Sword Coast, the more likely an evil character would intimidate merchants. The exception to that rule might be in Baldur's Gate, where the Flaming Fist are a major force of law and order.

I guess Charisma is a factor with prices too, at least when the party is popular or heroic. Not sure if Cha matters any more once the Rep is way low.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    Charisma always matters. Both charisma and reputation add to your npc reaction score, which determines how well people perceive you and shop prices.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    But in the case of someone who is feared, the Charisma isn't based on charm and likability but rather on intimidation. Like Anton above in the chilling clip from No Country for Old Men.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    @Bhaaldog
    "A problem with the reputation system is how do merchants know what the reputation of a customer is?"

That's the funny thing about reputation, it seems to precede you.