Skip to content

[Bug] Enemies Respawning Immediately After Being Killed - No Rest or Map Change

SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
edited November 2012 in Fixed
I noticed this happening multiple times now, but wasn't "quite sure" what I was seeing was actually happening. I finally verified that some enemies in the wilderness are immediately respawning after I kill them. I have barely walked away from their corpse and the same enemy has appeared at the edge of party vision, exactly at the spot we just killed him, and is now chasing us. A good place to test this is the map area just north of Gnoll Fortress and there is an ogre at the far bottom left (west) edge of the map.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    I believe this is a mechanic from the original BG.

I had occasionally such re-encounters, especially during night or dungeon.
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    Gnoll Fortress and Firewine Ruins are FAMOUS for this, it's part of what makes them dangerous, since Gnolls and Kobolds aren't particularly threatening normally. Basically stick together, move carefully, and never ever let the fog of war regrow between your party members.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    Please read carefully. It was the map zone north of Gnoll Fortress and it was happening in other wilderness areas too, I only "confirmed" it has happening in the aforementioned zone. I have been playing vanilla Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games for a decade now and this behaviour is definitely not normal. The problem may be in my ability to communicate it to you with the proper words.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Spawn points can regenerate creatures. This is not a bug. They do it exactly as you describe: when they are out of sight and some time elapsed, they reactivate.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    It honestly seems faster than vanilla BG, and also seems more common in some areas. It isn't debilitating or crippling either, just enough to notice, not enough to do much. The only notable thing was Bassilus map had a lot of dreadwolves on it from respawns from walking away and back, and also from resting and being woken, I gained a lot of exp for my party there :D
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, turns out there is an extra flag for spawnpoints in Bg2 for 'non continuous' spawning.
    This will likely be fixed in next patch, but any areas already in the saved game will remain affected.