Skip to content

Elander's Gloves of Misplacement

I got these gloves and they say -10 THAC0 and -2 Dex but I put them on Ajantis and his THAC0 went up to 20. From what I understand about THAC0, the lower the score the better so why does -10 give +10?

Comments

• AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    In item descriptions, -10 actually means lowering the chance to hit by increasing thac0 and if an item description says +3 thac0, it will increase the chance of hitting by lowering the thac0 of the character. It's quite stupid really. >,>
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    They don't make it very clear. Lower THAC0 is Better. Lower AC is Better. It's very confusing. >.<
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    Oh. Well what is the point of those gloves then?
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    They're cursed, there is no real point. There are a lot of items like that in the game.
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    "With mischief in mind, the impetuous Elander set out to craft these cursed gauntlets to best a rival. It turns out his malice got the best of him, when he mistook these gloves for another pair."

they are cursed ^^
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I consider "cursed" items as "useless, throw away".
    Did anyone found cursed items useful in BG:EE ? ;)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Teflon said:

I consider "cursed" items as "useless, throw away".
    Did anyone found cursed items useful in BG:EE ? ;)

There are several cursed items with benefits that arguably outweigh the penalties. The most notable is probably the Claw of Kaz-something, which is almost all up-side if used on a character who isn't already getting a constitution HP boost. There's another that comes to mind, but that's getting into spoiler territory.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    When you look at an item description, a negative is always a penalty. A plus is always a bonus.

+2 thac0 will lower the thac0 on your character sheet by 2
    -4 vs spells is a penalty of 4 vs spells(raising the number on your character sheet or simply taking the penalty into account for one spell)
    +1 ac reduces your character's AC on the inventory screen by 1
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    It is helpful if they include the words "bonus" or "penalty" in the description. But general rule of thumb, if the item is cursed, the effects are usually bad!