Skip to content

How do I make Rasaad good?

Can anyone give me some tips on how to make Rasaad into a worthy member of my party? I really like the character, but he is having little-to-no impact on my game. Barely even hits enemies. I've edited his DEX to 18 with Shadowkeeper but he still seems weak. I don't know to use monks - he is currently just using his fists.

Thanks!
Teflon

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    To a monk, their best weapons are their fists. Unfortunately they're also very weak in BG1, only really becoming something reasonable in the second game.

My advice is to turn him into a kensai. It's thematically similar and actually functions well on early levels.
  • HectorHector Member Posts: 23
    That's a great idea, I'm going to play around with that now.
    Is there any clever way to stop Rasaad losing the ability to equip his Moonwalkers or whatever they're called (not that) when you change his class to Kensai?
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I guess you could find some way to mess around with items and make it available for kensais as well, but I have no clue how to do that.
    Me neither. Anyway, thanks for the tip man.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Rasaad needs a claric in the party. cast Strength, and barkskin on him and he becomes much better.
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    He's not so bad closer to his level cap.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've heard he's pretty solid wielding one of Drizzt's scimitars. Of course, that's bad roleplay, and even if you don't care about that, ANYBODY is good wielding one of Drizzt's scimitars.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    That evil ring that's sold in High Hedge will boost his survivability without lowering his HP. Also normally have him use a sling. And find him a good weapon to use most of the time.
    Quartz
    I have SK'd Rasaad into a cleric. I seriously love the voice work, story and concept, but couldn't achieve full enjoyment knowing he was essentially dead wood being dragged along. That's one of the (many) great things about BG - in many cases, if you don't dig something one way you can simply change it!

Thanks all.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited December 2012
    Rasaad is fine if you give him some decent gear and a sword at early levels. I mean he's not Dorn or anything but I've only had him die when it was my fault because I used the wrong tactics. Try using his stunning palm on a squishy but powerful enemy (casters and thieves) and then have him draw a weapon he is proficient with and fight with that for the rest of the combat. Monks are best when you weave them in and out of combat targeting squishy characters, which they can manage due to their higher move speed. They're not supposed to be frontline melee characters. There's nothing quite so satisfying as when he Stunning Palms a bear or a major caster.
    CaptRoryRaistlin82
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    To go with what @Communard said, monks have the hidey thief skills as well. Level up Rasaad's sneakyness and he can be your stunning palm assassin!
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Rasaad is the best in my party. When he hits 1-10 base damage with fists, and 2 APR, have him use the bracers that give 1 thac0 and 2 damage, the ring from high hedge that lowers con by 2 (no negatives for him with 14 con) and give him the cursed awesome item from his quest and he's a wrecking machine.
    Quartz
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    After playing a game with Rasaad from within the first 20 minutes of the game to killing Saverok, I've decided people that talk about Rasaad being useless aren't using him right.

He isn't going to be as great at level 5 as Misc or others, but he isn't useless.

He isn't a front liner. If you send him in as a front liner you are going to have a bad time.

I have him use a sling, and then move in and quivering palm mages and keep meleeing them, and if things get rough I back him up and go back to sling.

I also, as previously mentioned here, had him using Twinkle.

I think everything I've said has been said tons of times by now, but I don't think this part is stressed correctly.

IF YOU SEND A LEVEL 7ISH MONK TO THE FRONT LINES AND EXPECT HIM TO HAVE THE SAME SURVIVAL RATE OF A RANGER / PALADIN / FIGHTER IN PLATE MAIL YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A BAD TIME.

To reiterate, that doesn't mean he cant melee, that means you micro manage and have your front liners move in on the right guys, and have rasaad with his super speed boots circle around and quivering palm mages. Then if people gang up on him use his super speed boots to move him back to the ranged fighters / mages and switch back to sling, and when those enemies chase him towards the back lines have a front liner intercept them.

Maybe the issue is this takes more micromanagement than some party builds, I'm not sure.
    TeflonRaistlin82
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I wondered how useful Rasaad would be. When my fighter/mage and imoen kept dying to a certain cleric inside a certain inn, I recruited him, and suddenly, that battle was cake. My original intent, sadly, was to let him die then sell his boots, but I was enlightened to his usefulness after that.

He was good, then, at level 2, without me having to "make" him anything ^^

So, yeah! I kept him. He's great.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Chow said:

I guess you could find some way to mess around with items and make it available for kensais as well, but I have no clue how to do that.

NearInfinity.
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    Swiping both of Drizzt's swords will get you through the first few levels with better damage & AC than unarmed will do.

By level 6 his unarmed attacks are pretty solid. There's an item in his quest line that seriously pumps up his damage and his AC will keep going down each level (quickly better than the small boost Kensai get).

You just need to be prepared for the slow start & need to equip carefully. He's good by midpoint.
    QuartzRaistlin82