Skip to content

Modding and where to start

scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
edited December 2012 in General Modding
Greetings, all. I've been cooking up a few ideas I would like to try my hands getting in game, and would, simply put, like some advice on where to start. I've modded games before, so I'm not completely inexperienced but the majority of those were with dedicated modding programs, and from what little I know BG is a whole other matter.

So, to the point. Are there any good tutorials or such still floating around out there? Do old tutorials still apply (more or less) to BGEE? If positive, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks in advance and all.

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Tanthalas - I thought I put this in the modding forum, but it's late and I must've made a mistake. Could you love it there please?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I've moved it, but in the future, you can do this yourself by editing your post and changing the category through the dropdown box.
    Thanks. That's a very nice feature, by the way.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    One of the best pieces of advice I've seen for people starting to mod is to start with a simple store mod, as it covers just about everything. You'll need a little dialogue and scripting, have to mess around making a creature and some items, and then put it into a nice installable package.
    CoM_Solaufein
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes that is true.

I'll repeat myself again.

The best mod for a beginner is a store mod. This type of mod will have you learn these basic steps related to modding in general.

Step 1 making a store clerk. This will teach you how to edit or create a creature (.CRE) file.
    Step 2 making a dialog. You will learn how to make dialogs (.DLG) for your store clerk. A store clerk's dialog file is generally simple compared to advanced dialogs like romances for example.
    Step 3 you will learn how to make or edit an item and/or spell (.ITM/.SPL). Your store has to have weapons, armors, spells or even potions right?
    Step 4 you will learn how to make or edit a store (.STO) file. This file is where you will add your newly created weapons, armor, spells and other items.
    Step 5 you will learn how to make or edit a script (.BCS) file. Well you need a way for your clerk to show up in the game world, adding him/her with an area script will do this.
    Step 6 and lastly you will learn how to make a .TP2 file (Weidu installer) so you can install your mod into the game.

All of these steps deal with the meat of most mods you find out there. Your best friend are tutorials written by modders that you will find at all of the modding communities out there. And it doesn't hurt to take a look at the mods themselves to see how everything works.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    The most comprehensive tutorial index is here:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/36781-comprehensive-ie-modding-tutorial-index/

Best of luck!
    @CamDawg @CoM_Solaufein @Kaeloree -

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into those. A merchant does seen like a well rounded place to start, too.