Skip to content

Those "Best Mac Games" lists are going to need some updating, I suspect.

I love KoToR as much as the next guy, but alongside modern graphics it feels clunky and a bit outdated. I've been playing BGEE on bootcamp though, and the painted art gives the game a whole lot more staying power. It still feels beautiful and impressive. I really think this is a game that can capture the hearts of a whole new generation of gamers, if they could just get their hands on it.

I never liked Baldur's Gate as much as BG2, though, and I guess I always thought it was because the interface for BG2 was so much easier to deal with. But, replaying BG with the BG2 interface like this, I still think BG2's story and writing are stronger. I hope that the troubles plaguing the macOS version of BGEE don't delay BG2EE when it comes. Because I think that game has a real chance of being a timeless Mac OS X classic!

Now if only someone could get ahold of HD art for those old LucasArts adventure games! Sam & Max: Hit the road!

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Story-wise, you are correct regarding BG2 versus BG1 (although BG1 will always have a special place in my heart).

But: BG1 has one major advantage over BG2: Aimless Wandering! There are so many areas that serve no purpose other than to make you 'feel' the Forgotten Realms as a real world. I remember that that was the big disappointment for me in BG2, one city (albeit a big one) and some minor outdoor areas where not much is going on anyway.