Skip to content

Main Character Powers - When do you get them?

As I understand it, the main character gets a total of 6 bonus powers over the course of the game. My PC is Lawful Good, so I got 2xCure Light Wounds and 2xSlow Poison. However, I only have 1 Draw Upon Holy Might, and I have finished the game. I rested before descending into the final dungeon, and even immediately before the final battle, but only the first DHUM was ever added. I've finished the game, but I would like to have the full set of powers for when I eventually import into BG2. Any way of determining how I might have missed a power?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited December 2012
    As I understand it, there is a chance of getting a power each time you rest after certain chapters. So sometimes, that sixth power just hasn't shown up yet when you finish. I've had that happen once or twice myself. I think (? not sure) you will get all six at the start of BG2 either way. And minor spoiler:
    they don't last, you will get something else fairly early in the game.

Added spoiler tag. -Jalily
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I barely got my last power before the final fight. Must just be bad luck with resting. An endgame party rests less, anyway.

You can always edit them in with Shadowkeeper.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The dreams happen randomly on rest after getting to a new chapter, you just have to wait on them. They always grant a power. Though it's based on your rep at the time of the dream, not your alignment. Anything under 10 gets evil powers, anything over 10 gets good powers.
  • DoctorWormDoctorWorm Member Posts: 2
    Regarding actDave's spoiler: I have actually played BG2 already, a friend of mine put me on to it a few years back. Never got to BG1 before the EE though. I didn't recall a new PC having special powers even before the BG2 storyline power is gained, I wasn't sure if I'd get to keep it. If I can't keep the BG1 powers, then it's not a big deal.

As for Zanath, I've heard from different sources that alignment has an impact on PC powers, and from other that it's reputation. Whichever is irrelevant, since I'm LG and have had a consistently high Rep.
    Well, rest assured, I always go for good, good, evil, evil, good, good, regardless of alignment, and it's never failed me once. (All good in regular BG1, since ghoul touch is kind of meh unless you're a fighter)
    Teflon
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Does anyone knows in BG:EE not resting gives real negative status affect or not? Like, reduced THAC0...... .
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Teflon
    From fatigue?
    Yeah, pretty sure that has negative effects on THAC0 and other things.

I'd say the largest negative effect is my party complaining about being tired all the time which is the main reason I finally end up resting.
    Teflondarius404
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    moopy said:

@Teflon
    From fatigue?
    Yeah, pretty sure that has negative effects on THAC0 and other things.

I'd say the largest negative effect is my party complaining about being tired all the time which is the main reason I finally end up resting.

Right. Nagging is real adverse effect.
    Thanks for the answer so it really lowers THAC0...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012

As for Zanath, I've heard from different sources that alignment has an impact on PC powers, and from other that it's reputation. Whichever is irrelevant, since I'm LG and have had a consistently high Rep.

I'm pretty sure it works like this:

While playing through BG1, you gain abilities based on reputation. If you import this character into BG2, you start with these abilities.

If you creat a new character in BG2, you are assigned abilities based on your alignment. Good-aligned gets the high reputations abilities, evil-aligned gets the low reputation abilities, neutral gets a mix.
    edited December 2012
    Untrue. Only Lawful good True Neutral, and Chaotic evil always get the same powerset at creation in BG2. LG gets all good, TN gets 1 of each, and CE gets all evil.

Neutral good usually gets 1 evil, chaotic good sometimes gets 2, Law neutral usually has more good then evil, and chaotic neutral usually has a little more evil. Lawful evil usually gets 1 or 2 good powers, while neutral evil only usually gets 1. It is fairly random however for this set.

And yes, Fatigue imposes a cumulative -1 luck penalty (Morale, thac0, saves, damage rolls, ac) for every ~24 hours without rest though not all of it shows up in the character sheet. Though high Con does slow the rate you gain fatigue slightly.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    TJ_HookerTeflondarius404
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited December 2012
    Which powers you get has nothing to do with your alignment (apart from indirectly, due to choices made the game), it's solely down to reputation. If you have less than 10 (I think) reputation at the time of a dream sequence you get an "evil" power, whereas you get "good" powers at 10 or above.

It's perfectly possible to obtain a mixture of "evil" and "good" powers, if your reputation fluctuates above/below 10.

EDIT: actually I should've said alignment makes no difference to the powers received in BG1. In BG2 your alignment does affect which powers you start with.