Skip to content

Shandalar vs Fighter 9lvl/Thief 11lvl - solo possible?

Hello,

I have fighter 9 /thief 11 solo char. I want to kill Shandalar (26k exp) but he is impossible to hit by melle (no backstab :( ).
I tried use ring (2k6dmg) but it is to slow, he become "near dead" and then cast door...
Can anybody help me with some useful idea? :)

Kind regards

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I haven't tried that combo, but how's your F/T's trap ability? Surely Shandy must be vulnerable to traps?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Shandy's extremely resistant to trap damage, and there's a cap to how many traps you can set to boot. Unfortunately, given his -20 AC and resistance, unless you get insanely lucky with a Potion of Heroism, Potion of Power, Potion of Storm Giant Strength and a Holy Power, on a critical hit, on a backstab, using the staff of striking, I don't see you reliably beating his 96 HP before he casts.

Have you tried using a protection from magic scroll on him?
  • BolekBolek Member Posts: 60
    His dmg is not a problem, balduran helm and potion = 75%magic resistanc. I have 116 hp so he can't kill me. problem is that i can't to it neither. I can use 3 traps, each deal 2-5 dmg to Shandalar... any ideas?
    I've done it! Few potions and it is possible to backstab him, then traps, then ring all the time and voila!
    Glad to hear it, well done. Incidentally, I suggested using the Protection from Magic scroll *on* him because that prevents all spellcasting, including dimension door.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Protection From Magic cannot be targeted like other protection scrolls; it always affects the user.
    Really? Blast.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Wonder why they changed that from BG2.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Interestingly Shandalar has zero resistance to magical damage.... So magic missile, skull trap, horrid wilting...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    leeho730 said:

Interestingly Shandalar has zero resistance to magical damage.... So magic missile, skull trap, horrid wilting...

Tough for a solo figher/thief to use any of those effectively.

(Tough for anyone to use horrid wilting effectively against him).

If you are using a mage, the wand of paralyzation should be your starter.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @AHF

Wand of paralyzation doesn't even make him go agro in BG:EE

I just used it about 10 times until one stuck, and then I proceeded to have everyone attack him and he went agro, but of course was paralyzed so just stood there and died.

That is the most easy and sure fire way with no reloads to kill him I've found, that would require a mage or bard to use the wand though.

No ideas on a solo F/T
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    AHF said:

leeho730 said:

Tough for a solo figher/thief to use any of those effectively.

(Tough for anyone to use horrid wilting effectively against him).

If you are using a mage, the wand of paralyzation should be your starter.
    Wand of magic missile... ;-) Fighter/thief can use it (Imoen comes with one at the start) and the magic missile goes through his globe of invulnerability... But the damage is measely 2-5 points... he will run away after set round... And all his spells are scripted so that there can be no interruption possible...

With -20 AC, 80% resistance to physical damage, 100% resistance to natural/magical elemental damage, saving throws of 1 on all saves... Even with character with TACH0 of 0, only critical hit (twice for single or two handed weapon) will dent him, and for a very small amount... Only reliable and legitimate way to damage in any meaningful way seems like hail of magic missies, skull traps, cloudkill spells...

Kudos to Bolek who managed to kill him... Must've been a hard work!
    Been there, done that :) . With my fighter/thief I've killed everybody including Sarevok, whole Durlag's Tower and all the werewolf, greater werewolf and so on. Two-weapon style, Katana +5 (drizzt's one), short sword 1d6+3, shadow armor, gloves of smt (str 18/00) and Balduran Cload and Helm. With 2 weapon and personal abilities AC been set at -9 and my highest dmg dealt is 106 (ofc 4x backstab). HP - 120. In one word - monster :). And, I use a lot of traps, it can dealt serious dmg!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    moopy said:

@AHF

Wand of paralyzation doesn't even make him go agro in BG:EE

I just used it about 10 times until one stuck, and then I proceeded to have everyone attack him and he went agro, but of course was paralyzed so just stood there and died.

That is the most easy and sure fire way with no reloads to kill him I've found, that would require a mage or bard to use the wand though.

No ideas on a solo F/T

Thanks for the wand of paralyzation trick.

I finaly got this cheating b i t c h down without a sweat.

I managed once to bring him down in a legit way (before he teleports away), but this one is far more easy !
    @Aasimar069 - great
    @Bhaaldog - yes, solo
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    @Bolek : what race did you choose : half orc, half elf, elf, or halfling ? Thanks for the answer :)