Skip to content

Bestiary in the Journal!!!

Comments

• sozcapssozcaps Member Posts: 16
    Tanthalas said:

I think the real issue is not how hard this would be to implement, but rather a matter of choosing what to implement from the plethora of requests that have already been made.

It is a good way of making newer players feel less overwhelmed. I only recently realized how unforgiving and brutal the IEE games were to people who hadn't played pen and paper AD&D. Would be a shame to repeat that in EE.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    sozcaps said:

It is a good way of making newer players feel less overwhelmed. I only recently realized how unforgiving and brutal the IEE games were to people who hadn't played pen and paper AD&D. Would be a shame to repeat that in EE.

Good Point! never thought about it.... I personally read the whole manual before I played so I had some background, If not I probably wouldn't know who is the funny guy in red robes and pointy hat :)

• paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I think this would be awesome, and if the devs are looking for one more way to enhance, it would be a cool enhancement.
    edited August 2012
    -
    Post edited by mch202 on
    This thread is not ready to die yet... any more opinions??
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yes, I like this feature. In witcher1 its was so nice. Or in Castlevania symphony of the night :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I love this idea, and agree with qualitative over quantitative data, otherwise it is just an immersion breaking feature.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    JJ1897 said:

It would be cool if instead of rendered images like those used in P:T, beasts in BG were shown as sketches. I'm sure there are lots of sketches left from the making process of both games, why not use them? It'd save time if the beastiary was to be implemented and, honestly, be much cooler and, well, realistic. I remember there were some sketched potraits of some of the game's most important NPCs in the manual (Tethoril, Ulraunt and so on). I'd gladly see other as well :-)

An example of what I have in mind:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m33dv2yxpn1r67733o1_500.jpg

ehh, im not sure if this kind of pictures are allowed on the forum, let alone in the game?
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    Why? Should the troll wear some kind of loin cloth?! :P

This idea is absolutely great, it must be implemented!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Love the idea - slightly off on a tangent, it would be really good if the amount of info available was tied into your INT/WIS scores to reflect your powers of observation and deduction. Specifics about potential weaknesses that aren't readily apparent or particular behaviour patterns could be a nice boost for these under-utilised ability scores.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Bestiary+counter can be great. if not in bg1, bg2, maybe in bg3? ^^
  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 48
    I like the idea of a bestiary with pictures and descriptions (no stats), but it would be a lot of work, so I doubt it's a very realistic request.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    YES!!!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I definitely agree on this and with adding information as well, can help beginners alot more and make a very difficult battle alot less so.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wouldn't mind a bestiary in the BG series. Especially if they are drawn in the style as many of the armours and weapons in the game.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited August 2012
    Have @TrentOster or @PhillipDaigle not seen this thread yet :P:P
  • DuranDuran Member Posts: 15
    Bestiary would be nice especially in the form weapons and armor are done just to add the little extra to the game.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Good addition for game see Entar Silvershield entry on journal.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited August 2012
    lordkim said:

Have @TrentOster or @PhillipDaigle not seen this thread yet :P:P

Cameron gave it a "promote" and that is probably a good sign for a feature request :) At least it is recognised as a good idea. But it probably be post ship feature ? Or maybe for BG2EE ?

Braces yourselves, september is coming !
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Yep, great idea. As a consumer I'd want it as a shipped feature but as a business, you could justify this as DLC. Pays Nat and is totally flavor, doesn't change any gameplay.

It isn't our (the consumers) job to help them make these decisions, but I think managing and keeping our expectations reasonable will go a long way to avoiding disappointment.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    If they added this, I would request that they only display a history, general habitat, a picture, the creature's alignment, and warnings about special abilities. Basically a normal Bestiary.
    GemHound said:

If they added this, I would request that they only display a history, general habitat, a picture, the creature's alignment, and warnings about special abilities. Basically a normal Bestiary.

Basically a forgottenrealms.wikia.com ;-)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    mch202 said:

GemHound said:

Basically a forgottenrealms.wikia.com ;-)
    Exactly. :D

• xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    A bestiary?! Wow thats a great idea! They should definitely incorporate this into the game!!
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Cool idea. As long as they keep the art style of the bestiary the same as the rest of the journal etc; Sketches is definitely way to go, pre-rendered images are to gamey, you want to imagine that the adventurers themselves sketched the image in the journal.
    I still request it, as post-ship feature.

Shameless Bump
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited December 2012
    It would be cool :) Something like PST or even the Dragon Age codex would be neat.

Let me just say that the Elder Scrolls series has me spoiled rotten when it comes to lore :p I would love to see more books and more lore oriented features to take my immersion in the Forgotten Realms to the next level :)
  • charmercharmer Member Posts: 15
    Great idea. I wouldn't stop at the bestiary either. There could be descriptions of notable locations, characters/organizations, unique items etc. Unlockable according to your game progress.

So, this FR could be for a "BG Lore" in-game book that would gradually expand, rewarding players for their progress. Kind of an achievement system.

Now that would _enhance_ this BG edition a lot!