Skip to content

Screenshot and information analysis thread

Comments

• WestiinWestiin Member Posts: 2
    Why no screen shots of this enhanced or updated or new UI?
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited July 2012
    Btw. read the Faq postings :) I got an answer to my question - Blur Problems are Screenshot jpeg resizing related, new ones are on the way :)
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    Westiin said:

I would guess because it is not finished yet?
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Westiin said:

You can catch a glimpse of it on the iPad section of baldursgate.com though. Looks pretty sweet.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited July 2012
    some screenshots look blurry'ness... is this like that in the final rendering or that because of the screenshots resized ?
    Post edited by Seldar on
    why not using png images... better quality compared to crappy jpg - still shows some blurry'ness - while i see that not really as big problem, it would of course damage a bit of the fun i would have with the game if such like that also would be featured in some parts or many parts of the game.

Some statement about that matter would be nice :)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Westiin said:

We're workin' on it.

I blame Bort.
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    I see the blurriness people have mentioned in the screenies, but I really don't think it can be attributed to jpeg resizing since it only affects the background. I see no blurry avatars. Would be nice to see some updated screens just to confirm, and have them 1920x1080 at least so we have a good idea of how this will look at higher resolutions.

I game on a Cinema display at 2560x1440. Will higher than standard HD be supported?
    edited July 2012
    agreeing with that... 1920x1080 screenshots with new UI and png please. with jpg alone it always leads to speculations.. what we really need is some real quality screenshot!

Of course if you don't mind - Thanks :D

Screenshots which are affected most... the ones with the ice mountains and the one with the house in that "swamp?"
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    The difference is only visible in the outdoor shots. The interiors are crystal sharp....
    perhaps we can say that blurry'ness only affects new created places, but the rest of the game is "usual consistent quality" ?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Grif said:

I see the blurriness people have mentioned in the screenies, but I really don't think it can be attributed to jpeg resizing since it only affects the background. I see no blurry avatars. Would be nice to see some updated screens just to confirm, and have them 1920x1080 at least so we have a good idea of how this will look at higher resolutions.

I game on a Cinema display at 2560x1440. Will higher than standard HD be supported?

I think Trent said it will support up to 2880 x 1800 or something.
    At least that is nice to know :) But next... Some real HQ Screenshots please :) Jpeg is just no good format to provide a showcase of artwork, not recommended :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Thanks for this thread! :)
    edited July 2012
    It is quite probable that they are not done yet with the visual enhancements, so they will release some more screenies soon i guess :]

I GET TO BE A BLACKGUARD DAMNIT!! :P

Btw, the Blackguard artwork is seriously awesome, i love his armor, and the sinister look.

I wish we could get some more armor models to appreciate something like it in action but oh well :]
    edited July 2012
    Well, lets hope that is the reason :) Because i want a quite sharp Experience :)

Sharp in the Meaning in that way that the difference between enhanced old and completly new parts is as tiny as possible :)

But still.. for the next time, give us some PNG - in times of high speed internet connections we can take a 1-2 mb screenshot without everything going to slow hell :D
    edited July 2012
    @IkonNavros the image showing Dorn, is not from a new area i'm told, i think the grass especially looks better than the original art, although it's an old area.

At least it gave me that impression.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Mornmagor said:

@IkonNavros the image showing Dorn, is not from a new area i'm told, i think the grass especially looks better than the original art, although it's an old area.

At least it gave me that impression.

Its from the area south east of the map filled with gibberlings and a flaming fist soldier looking for a criminal...
    mch202 said:

Its from the area south east of the map filled with gibberlings and a flaming fist soldier looking for a criminal...

I can't even remember, long time since i played BG1 :P
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    am I the only one who saw this!?!

• DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    Maybe the beholder in the back room is the Spectator of BG2 and ToB fame?
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited July 2012
    That would be a very nice easter egg if they make it to be the same elder orb. However he's supposed to be guarding some treasure chest somewhere. He does know his stuff about arena fights when you meet him in ToB though.

The blurring on some images might be caused by zoom or maybe they added new weather effects :D

It might be because of the screenshots quality but I'm not seeing the transparency behind obstacles, in black pits screenshots some of the vendors look like they are standing on the desks. Similar thing on the picture above with just the elder orb, also the height map may be faulty/incomplete yet as the character seems almost out of his circle.
    Any news for Real HQ screenshots? :)
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    The textures on the steeper hills are stretched and strangely low-resolution. Everything in the original areas was crisp, this just looks out of place.

http://baldursgate.com/images/rasaad/screenshot02.jpg
    yeah, as many others already said, it just looks a bit blurry. Wonder if they manage in the end to reach an acceptable value between scaling and crisp graphic.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Any news for Real HQ screenshots? :)
    What do you mean?
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I'm so glad to see new scenery and artwork. I was under the impression that they had to recycle areas for some reason.
    well, i would say jpg pics are quite a bit limited in showing some stuff :) Quality Screenshots would still be some nice PNG with 1920x1080 and no compression ;)

Since Jpg do always look a bit of blurry, as seen in the screenshots so far sometimes in background.

Jpg for presentation reasons.. no way - well, thats at least my opinion, no offence ;)
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43

well, i would say jpg pics are quite a bit limited in showing some stuff :) Quality Screenshots would still be some nice PNG with 1920x1080 and no compression ;)

Since Jpg do always look a bit of blurry, as seen in the screenshots so far sometimes in background.

Jpg for presentation reasons.. no way - well, thats at least my opinion, no offence ;)

I strongly doubt the blurriness is a result of the image format. I used this in another thread but since I noticed image format being mentioned, I think it applies here as well -- this is a .jpg screenshot of the original BG1 using the widescreen mod in 1680x1050:

No blurriness and a pretty solid representation of what the game looks like IMO. What we're seeing in the BGEE screens is the result of the scaling method they are using and, hopefully, in some cases, the result of zoom and/or work-in-progress area graphics for the new locations.
  • SFischSFisch Member Posts: 59
    It's not the scaling method. It's the texture resolution itself in the 3D program. If it was a scaling issue, everything would be blurry, not just the mountains. In those screens, the characters are still very crisp.