Skip to content

Favourite BG1 NPCs to appear in BG2 ... THE POLL!

Comments

• forest39forest39 Member Posts: 17
    GoodSteve said:

Xan was a ton of fun in my opinion and with the lack of pure wizards in BG2 he'd fit right in. Especially if you wanted to play without any evil characters (I'm looking at you Edwin).

Ton of Fun? Well to each his own but I found him insuffarable, whined way to much, and he cant cast fireball which is a killer for me.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    forest39 said:

GoodSteve said:

Xan was a ton of fun in my opinion and with the lack of pure wizards in BG2 he'd fit right in. Especially if you wanted to play without any evil characters (I'm looking at you Edwin).

Ton of Fun? Well to each his own but I found him insuffarable, whined way to much, and he cant cast fireball which is a killer for me.

Lmao. It's called having more than one mage. Xan is a buffer/debuffer, not a blaster. Have him spam Sleep, Hold Person, Hold Monster, etc. and go to town with his Moonblade on the targets who failed their saving throws while the rest of your party deals with those who are still lively.
    I dont know about bringing any of these characters back, but I do believe they said the 3 new NPC's will be in the next game, along with a couple other new npc's. with one of themlikley being an evil theif, and with that people will be able to construct an entire evil party, with Dorn and korgan as the fighters, edwin the mage, vicky the healer, and whoever they add as the thief, plus whatever you make your character
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    There's already a reasonably good Xan mod for BG2. Need Eldoth though....we only get 1 bard and he's the least bardy bard of all. And there's a decided lack of evil npcs in BG2...4..total..and of those 1 you don't get till MUCH later. Adding Eldoth would allow you to create a more well rounded evil party Or hell Shar-teel too (think she could dual to a thief, if memory serves) while you're at it. That way you could go full evil for most of the game and get to listen to them bicker and trying to kill one another is the best sort of comic relief where sociopathic killers are concerned.

I mean really, there's so many nobles around in Amn it's easy to imagine picking Eldoth up as he beats a hasty retreat from his latest con.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    edited December 2012

Lmao. It's called having more than one mage. Xan is a buffer/debuffer, not a blaster. Have him spam Sleep, Hold Person, Hold Monster, etc. and go to town with his Moonblade on the targets who failed their saving throws while the rest of your party deals with those who are still lively.

I dont like having 2 mages, my party formation is usually 3 people fighters/rangers to do damage, will probaly be somethin Like My Character, Minsc, and Valygar, a theif, I will use Jan till I get Imoen back, a mage, I usually used Edwin, and just keep my reputation at 18, turning into the bhallspawn thing anytime my repuatation got to high, but will use Neera now. and as for the healer, i have no clue who I will use, I usually used Viconia, just for the romance, but since I have neera who I can romance now i will use a good character now, maybe amonen and just make sure he passes his knighthood and gets the wisdom upgrade.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Eldoth, because I can't stand Haerdalis.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Unless you just like Immy, or hate gnomes, Jan is the best thief in the entire game....if Yoshi's questline would ever get finished he'd be pretty close to that title...though a multiclass T/M is hard to compete against.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Shar-Tell please.
    Even if allready dualled to a thief, like Imoen into a mage in BG2.
    There's a lack of thieves in the city of thieves LOL.
    + she's evil. There is a lack of nice evil charachters in BG2.

+ Yoshimo sucks.
    And Imoen byebye to the second half of the game.

Kivan would be nice, if he appears as an elven ranger kit - ARCHER!
    As a vanilla ranger - not.

Xan would be fun. If he comes with his sword and some abilities bonus (CON) - he's in.

And make them new portraits too. Like the BG2 ones.
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    Branwen, very few clerics in baldurs gate 2 and Yeslick and Kagain were in baldurs gate 2. Maybe im wrong cause it could of been the darkest day mod.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I vote for Shar-Teel. As others have said, there's a distinct lack of Evil NPCs in the game.

Several of the others have already been added to BG2 via mod. I love Xan and Kivan, but the mod versions are more than adequate. (By which I mean 'great, and unlikely to be surpassed by Beamdog adding them back more officially.') There are also mods for Alora and Yeslick, although I haven't tried those.

Mind you, I'd be just as happy with more brand new NPCs, evil and otherwise. Adding an evil thief is a nice start, and I'd also like to see a Good or Neutral pure cleric. (I actually like Anomen, but more options would be better.)
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Why does everyone love Kivan so much? He's an archer without the Archer kit, an Elf with 17 dex and on top of that he is a whiny emo bitch for the entire duration of the game.
  • B3NB3N Member Posts: 150
    I WANT TIAX !!!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Baldur's Gate 2 feels fairly complete, so just tossing in another character for the sake of it would feel out of place, and the NPCs there already are are pretty well-rounded mechanically. At most I'd love to see the possibility of Xzar and Montaron surviving and joining the party, what with they're being not only fun but also already there, and filling in some evil characters and a much-needed fighter/thief.
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    None of them - given how they most likely won't be able to find/hire any of the old voice actors it wouldn't be the true experience. I'd much rather see the new BG:EE companions carry over.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112

Why does everyone love Kivan so much? He's an archer without the Archer kit, an Elf with 17 dex and on top of that he is a whiny emo bitch for the entire duration of the game.

Because of his strength. He is an excellent bowman and more than competent front line fighter. This makes him one of the best fighters of the game. His weapon proficiency in halberds is unfortunate, though. I use him always in any good party.

In bg2 he would perhaps be less useful, as archers are not as dominant there. And he would indeed miss out on the high level advantages that come with the archer kit.

• HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    DarkDogg said:

Shar-Tell please.
    Even if allready dualled to a thief, like Imoen into a mage in BG2.
    There's a lack of thieves in the city of thieves LOL.

This.

When assembling a party in BG2, filling in the role of thief was always the most difficult part. Imoen and Nalia have become useless in that respect by their dual class. And Yoshimo ... we know what his drawback is. I ended up using Jan each and evry time for lack of anything better.

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2012
    Yeslick, in my BG 1 play through s my game didn't start until after I picked him up (ie I played thru the earlier chapters quick and then would do all the wilderness and stuff with my dwarf bro!) . I love his voice actor and I'm quite partial to dwarf fighter clerics as companions. Call me cliche or whatever.

I was so disappointed that the only dwarf in BG 2 was an evil insane bastard.

I tried playing a dwarf in both BGs but they just don't seem to fit the storyline very well for me and there are no dwarf sound sets. I wish I could get the Icewind dale sound sets to work with BG but I'm not all that skilled at digging thru files and editing them :(
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Alora.
    I would've voted Yeslick, but we already have a fighter/cleric (even though he's an ass) and he'd have little reason to be in Amn. I love Yeslick though.

Alora fits perfectly, she's curious, Atkathla is the city of coin, lousy with thieves, and BG2 needs a thief. Since many NPC's got a statboost, she could get one too, though I don't really see a problem with her stats personally.

Adding Eldoth would be interesting as well though. I've hardly ever used him (Can't make bards work...) but he would flourish in Atkathla, scamming the nobles, trailed by a bored and whining Skie (who could be positively influenced by fellow noble and ex-thief Nalia). It adds an evil NPC *and* a thief to BG2.
  • XosmiXosmi Member Posts: 7
    Both Xan and Branwen appear in the vanilla bg2 tutorial, so seeing those two back in full capacity as joinable npc's would be feasible, though maybe not with as much banters. (or at least voiced over ones)

Personally i'd love to see alora back again, if not only to have a replacement pure thief for yoshimo, but also the fact that in bg1 she never really got a chance to shine since you pick her up really late into the game.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I'm sad to read that any of them returning is unlikely to happen :(
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Got to be someone evil cause BG2 is in low supply of evil NPC's
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Mansen said:

None of them - given how they most likely won't be able to find/hire any of the old voice actors it wouldn't be the true experience. I'd much rather see the new BG:EE companions carry over.

This. But if I have to choose one, then it's definitely Xan. I don't know, there's just something about him that's likeable. Similar to Edwin, Viconia, and...heck who am I kidding, all BG-2 NPCs are likeable! Xan belongs there.
    fredamora said:

all BG-2 NPCs are likeable!

*cough*anomen*cough*
    God i've allways hated that prick, he just annoys me to no end.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I didn't hate Anomen. But Aerie... Ugh. And even Imoen I find very annoying in the sequel. Not a huge fan of Keldorn, either.

A lot of the NPCs in BG2 aren't really likable in my opinion. Even if I don't dislike them, they don't have the charm some of the BG1 NPCs do.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Xosmi said:

fredamora said:

*cough*anomen*cough*
    Anomen is the best BG2 NPC in my opinion. Annoying or not he's incredibly effective
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I liked Coran a lot. He can't join you in BG2, but he appears in it. It's unfortunate too because there are not fighter/thiefs in BG2 at all. The guy has a great voice set and makes some type of bird whistle when he attacks. I like to think of him as the Han Solo of BG.

Misnc is probably the best character that can join in both games. He always has something funny to say that will make you feel better.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242

Xosmi said:

fredamora said:

*cough*anomen*cough*
    Anomen is the best BG2 NPC in my opinion. Annoying or not he's incredibly effective
    This is true and it's the only reason I take him along. I find him really annoying, but there is nothing like hitting turn undead and watching all the vampires and undead around you explode.

Xosmi said:

fredamora said:

*cough*anomen*cough*
    Oh sure, he's useful, i don't deny that -- i've taken him with me for previous playthroughs since he was just the best addition to my party.
    But as far as his likability goes, he gets a 0/10 from me.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    edited January 2013
    Xosmi said:

Xosmi said:

fredamora said:

*cough*anomen*cough*
    Oh sure, he's useful, i don't deny that -- i've taken him with me for previous playthroughs since he was just the best addition to my party.
    But as far as his likability goes, he gets a 0/10 from me.

Yeah I agree. Thats why my next play thru will be a beserker - cleric so I don't need him :)