Skip to content

What does "Promote" do?

CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
What is the tag Promote for, and how can we use it? I can find ways to access all of the other comment flags that we can see at the top of profile pages, but not the promote flag.
Post edited by DanBoulos on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I've been wondering the same. It's probably a moderator/developer only resource, which they can use to quickly pinpoint threads they want/need to have quick access to. But this is just a wild guess on my part, mind you.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I was thinking similar, but if I can't use it then it make little sense to have it there.
    Maybe as an ego boosting feature? Like "Holy Guacamole, I was given a PROMOTE! How cool is that?!?" :D
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think its possible that it was just some kind of left-over option from when the board was opened.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @DanBoulos Many thanks for the clarification.
  • DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
    @Cadros no problem!
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    edited July 2012
    Anyone else get that impression at a glance?
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Be offended. Be VERY offended.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Be offended. Be VERY offended.
    I'm honored that I get the finger for such a good post :P
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2012
    From what I can tell, only moderators can promote posts, and that increments a shiny number on our profiles. But what does it mean? Is it my D&D character level? My general degree of awesomeness in life? My likelihood of being hired by Beamdog divided by 100?

Forgive me if the question was already asked elsewhere, I couldn't find any reference to it.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited July 2012
    I would say it means you are twice as awesome as someone with only 1 promote and half as awesome as someone with 4 promotes.

Edit: I really have no idea at all... but any of your explanations sounds good to me.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    It looks like promotes are handed out solely by forum mods. I guess it distinguishes them from the 'adoration of the masses'.
    edited August 2012
    As explained by Dan Boulos in an older thread I won't bother searching, "Promote" is a dev- and moderator-only feature that adds 5 points to the post, and 3 points to the user who receive it. It is used to draw attention to a post of interest or importance.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Maybe it's just me but I can't find the promote icon.
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
    edited August 2012
    "Promote" is a moderator-only reaction. It's basically a triple-strength Like. -Lincoln