Skip to content

Are 2 healers too many?

hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
edited January 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
My party is as follows
PC-Stalker
Imoen
Khalid
Jaheira
Branwen
Neera

Are 2 healers too many?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    2 healers are never too many, especially since Jaheira is not a great one. Don't get me wrong, she would likely be adequate, but I think you'll be glad to have Branwen too. I often have two clerics in my party.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Two priests are fine, they will not be detrimental to your party balance.

However, if you are planning to use them strictly as healbots, you might want to revise your concept. Healing spells are highly substandard, especially in the middle of a battle because of limited range and slow casting time. Potions do the job better, especially since you can pause and inventory-trade them during battle.

Generally speaking, it's better to avoid taking damage rather than brute-heal through it. This becomes more important at higher levels because healing doesn't scale as much as hit points do. As such, your priests should focus on support and disabling spells (Entangle, Silence, Hold Person, Bless, Chant etc.) One or two healing spells memorized can still be useful to heal up injuries after battles if you don't feel like resting.
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    imo One healer is enough in BG games. I would drop Branwen, pick a another thief (Coran maybe) and dual Imoen to Mage.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    Is rasheed any good?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    edited January 2013
    For my parties, I like to have two divine and two arcane casters (as minimum).

So it's usual for me to take Jaheira (as a tank and a divine caster) and then either Branwen or Viconia.

For Arcane, since I mentioned it anyway, I often dual class Imoen to a mage after a few levels of thief and then have a single class mage of some sort. Usually Dynaheir or my PC or in BG:EE Neera.

Oh~ And divine casters aren't "Healers". They have a lot of very nice spells to cast and healing mid-battle is one of the less useful things they can do. It can be important, but usually moreso after battle. Mid-Battle you're almost always better chugging a potion.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    What is this about "Healers?"

If you are referring to people who can cast curative spells, you really can't go wrong with divine spellcasters. With the right buffs, they are the most competent melee characters anyway. Single-class fighters are kind of meh in the meta-game scheme of things.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Simply let Jaheira focus more on her fighter side, problem solved. There's no reason both her and Branwen need to focus on healing magic. Priests are hardly necessarily "healers".
    Clerics and Druids also get different magic. So keep an eye out for things that one character can do that the other can't. There IS a lot of overlap, but there are enough differences to make it interesting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KankKank Member Posts: 38
    While I highly doubt I'd ever run two single classed clerics in one group.. I've run with different ?/Clerics or Druids in the same party. Just set them up a bit different (One with healing/buffs and one with debuffs/etc).
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    In my last run I had Jaheira, Yeslick, Viccy and my own cleric. Jaheira was a fighter with the occasional damage/CC spell, Yeslick was a darn nice fighter (after getting the +str-int belt) and an off-hand healer, and Viccy was pure healing/CC. My own was all about buffs and killing stuff with big blunt metal object.
    A healer doesn't have to be a healer.
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013
    Multi-classes like Jaheria and Yeslick are really strong- you get nearly all the benefits of having a full Cleric or Druid (Jaheria can reach the same level as a pure Druid in BG1 with the cap!) while they can also do something else useful (fight well). They are a strong addition to any party- use their spells to help them fight better. Mage/Clerics are similarly useful.

Multiple pure divine casters is probably a bit less powerful, but perfectly possible to finish the game with. Druids do have it a bit tougher though- they get some great spells at level 4 (and 5 if you remove the cap) but their 1-3 spell choices are a bit poor.
    Post edited by Tinter on
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    I usually go for 2 multi class healers in my party, at least in BG2. That means esentialy Jaheira and Aerie are almost every time in my party.
  • MurkveMurkve Member Posts: 12

What is this about "Healers?"

If you are referring to people who can cast curative spells, you really can't go wrong with divine spellcasters. With the right buffs, they are the most competent melee characters anyway. Single-class fighters are kind of meh in the meta-game scheme of things.

This. My Clerics have always been front line fighters - and in a pinch - debuffers. Draw Upon Holy Might, Bless/Aid, Freedom of Action, and Boon of Lathander/Seeking Sword (Depending on your flavor) Make for a nice combination. My Cleric of Lathander was on par with Ajantis around level 3/4, and surpassed him around level 5.

Having played a Cleric of Helm through BG2 with only Aerie as a squad mate (I LOVE Aerie) I can say that it is a cakewalk as well. Imagine having a fighter completely immune to level drain, hold, confuse, fear, etc., with 6 attacks per round (after haste), 25 Strength and Dexterity (and Constitution), and a THAC0 hovering around 0 (if I remember correctly). Absolutely amazing. Those Mind Flayers in the Underdark never stood a chance.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Opinions, opinions, opinions.

Firstly, just call them "priests" and "wizards." This divine/arcane nomenclature is silly, and came about after 2nd edition anyway.

Secondly, as lots of other people have pointed out, priests are more than mere healbots anyway. Sometimes you may need to pop a quick CLW in the middle of combat, and that's fine, a priest will do that. But they're more than just walking repositories of Cure magics: they have some rather decent offensive/support magics at their disposal as well (especially some of the higher-level Druidic elemental spells).

In the end, though, no matter what anyone on this forum tells you, there is no "wrong" or "incorrect" formulation of a party. Play with it, experiment, see what suits you best. When it comes right down to it, there are only two "must have" character types in a party: a Thief (for traps and locks), and a Priest (okay, maybe this one isn't necessarily "must have," but it's really difficult to leave out someone with some amount of healing magic). With those two character slots taken up, you've got three others to play with. Do what works best for you.
    I disagree about the thief being necessary. Most traps are innocent enough to just walk through, and 98% of items you would want are NOT locked away. If one is, why knock will do the trick, or Draw Upon Holy Might and bash it.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @hammernanvil: no, 2 healers are basically required. the "don't heal, buff and debuff" arguments are nice, but sadly mostly ineffective in BG1 (but very useful in BG2!). you will take damage. a lot of damage. no matter how high your AC is, you are gonna get hit, and it'll hurt. a lot. don't take just one healer. never take just one healer.

@Murkve: ah, the old "clerics are effective fighters" argument...
    no, they aren't. they never were, they never will be, at least not in AD&D 2e. they never, ever gain extra attacks - a level 7 fighter can hit 3 times in a round when dual wielding, while your cleric will hit once, because even if she dual wields, the second attack from it will almost always be a miss. add weapon masteries to that, and a fighter is doing about *four times* as much damage.

fighter/ranger combined with cleric will be a very effective fighter however, but pure class clerics? they can't fight worth shit.

and about thief not being necessary... I'd like to introduce you to two of my friends, Mr. Backstab and Mr. Durlag Trollkiller. the former kills pesky mages in one hit, before they could even harm you, and the latter... he'll kill you, many, many times over is you even think about going near his tower without a thief in your party.
    Gee, I guess they never should have given Clerics anything but heal spells since that's all they're good for.

Never mind that a well rolled, mid-level Priest of Helm can buff his combat attributes up into the 20s with a 2nd level spell that takes 1 second to cast, or that Seeking Sword grants him those 3 attacks per round, or the myriad other minor/major buffs he could give himself. Of course a Fighter will chop things up real good, but a Priest can hold his own.

If that weren't the case, I wouldn't have been able to two man SoA and ToB with a priest as my front line fighter, because Goddess knows Aerie takes a while to get up there in damage capability.

And thieves are useful, I would never disagree with that, but they are hardly necessary to every game.
    edited January 2013
    @Murkve: clerics are very good at protecting your party from a buttload of nasty effects enemies throw at them, frying them with holy smite, curing level drains, putting everyone instantly to sleep, or yanking enemies out of invisibility... but pure class clerics still suck as fighters, big time.

having 20+ attributes in nice and all, except mr. fighter still beats you with his measly 18+ STR, because he can get specialization/mastery and assorted bonuses. seeking sword last 1 round/level, iirc once a day in BGEE - a fighter does the same non-stop. and beating BG2 with a sup-optimal party is nothing special, after all, it's a game people tend to solo, and how... some do it without picking up any items... some truly insane ones even solo with a *wizard slayer*.

if you want to fight with a cleric, combine it with a fighter/ranger, otherwise their damage capabilities are somewhat akin to giving a stern look at the enemy.

and thieves ARE necessary - you pretty much *can't* get through Durlag's Tower without one. (or nonstop raising, but that's just ridiculous)
    I don't really like to use my clerics as fighters, but I will use them as tanks. The difference being I don't expect them to deal much damage but they can get really good AC and keep guys off your squishies.
    @Syntia13 I love that comic. That one you linked in particular.

@Murkve: clerics are very good at protecting your party from a buttload of nasty effects enemies throw at them, frying them with holy smite, curing level drains, putting everyone instantly to sleep, or yanking enemies out of invisibility... but pure class clerics still suck as fighters, big time.

having 20+ attributes in nice and all, except mr. fighter still beats you with his measly 18+ STR, because he can get specialization/mastery and assorted bonuses. seeking sword last 1 round/level, iirc once a day in BGEE - a fighter does the same non-stop. and beating BG2 with a sup-optimal party is nothing special, after all, it's a game people tend to solo, and how... some do it without picking up any items... some truly insane ones even solo with a *wizard slayer*.

if you want to fight with a cleric, combine it with a fighter/ranger, otherwise their damage capabilities are somewhat akin to giving a stern look at the enemy.

and thieves ARE necessary - you pretty much *can't* get through Durlag's Tower without one. (or nonstop raising, but that's just ridiculous)

I think I may just have to try a Fighter to see what its all about. I've tried various combat classes, but never a pure Fighting Kit. At least, not for very long. Always felt it was a bit boring as a PC, which is why I opted for Pallies or Priests instead. :)

@Murkve: ah, the old "clerics are effective fighters" argument...
    no, they aren't. they never were, they never will be, at least not in AD&D 2e. they never, ever gain extra attacks - a level 7 fighter can hit 3 times in a round when dual wielding, while your cleric will hit once, because even if she dual wields, the second attack from it will almost always be a miss. add weapon masteries to that, and a fighter is doing about *four times* as much damage.

fighter/ranger combined with cleric will be a very effective fighter however, but pure class clerics? they can't fight worth shit.

I'm sorry, but Clerics *are* effective fighters. Are they as good as members of the Warrior classes? No, of course not. Because that's not their primary function. They don't get the extra attacks per round, so in terms of damage capacity they won't equal the maxed-out Fighter with full masteries. They also are kept from wielding a lot of the best weapons in the game because of the prohibition on cutting and poking weapons.

But they can wear plate mail, and use a shield. As has been pointed out, their support spells can help them to up their damage output, buff their own defenses and in general lend them some unique combat use. And their combat numbers are frequently second only to the Fighter's at certain experience levels, potentially even equal to or better than depending on Strength bonuses. They cannot match a warrior's damage output, but they can hold the line extremely well, using both their physical ability with weapons and their support and healing abilities. The argument was not "The Cleric is as good as a Warrior," the argument is "Clerics are effective fighters." In the case of the former, your arguments in opposition would most certainly be correct. But since we are talking about the latter, they are not.

and about thief not being necessary... I'd like to introduce you to two of my friends, Mr. Backstab and Mr. Durlag Trollkiller. the former kills pesky mages in one hit, before they could even harm you, and the latter... he'll kill you, many, many times over is you even think about going near his tower without a thief in your party.

I would tend to agree, actually: personally, I would never even try to make a run through BG or BG2 without a thief (any thief) in my party. But @Murkve, and others in these forums, do present us with interesting scenarios that speak to the versatility that this game affords to the creative player. There are, in fact, methods of accomplishing thief-like tasks without the use of a thief. If it works, it gives a playthrough a certain something that enables it to avoid being formulaic and boring. It's an accomplishment, it's admirable and even a little badass, and there's no reason to poo-poo it just because some of us play differently.
    CaptRory said:

I don't really like to use my clerics as fighters, but I will use them as tanks. The difference being I don't expect them to deal much damage but they can get really good AC and keep guys off your squishies.

An interesting notion... but the traditional "tank" is usually a character with both good armor and lots of hit points. The Cleric lags behind the Warrior classes in terms of hit points, so they wouldn't be my first choice to fill this role. But, with magical aid, I can see where this becomes an effective strategy.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386

An interesting notion... but the traditional "tank" is usually a character with both good armor and lots of hit points. The Cleric lags behind the Warrior classes in terms of hit points, so they wouldn't be my first choice to fill this role. But, with magical aid, I can see where this becomes an effective strategy.

I dualed my imported fighter @9 to cleric in SoA and it's quite a killing machine, got my non-abusive 5th pip in Flails, have some more hitpoints and so on.
    And to the comment above and my laziness to quote it; there are few weapons, which aren't slashy & pokey and still are a very decent choice, ie FoA and for a starter game Easthaven. I won't consider Crom sh..erm Feayr a good weapon, as all it does is to set your str to 25 and has very low base damage anyway. And the special sucks too.

For a pure cleric you are right though.
    valky said:

I dualed my imported fighter @9 to cleric in SoA and it's quite a killing machine, got my non-abusive 5th pip in Flails, have some more hitpoints and so on.
    And to the comment above and my laziness to quote it; there are few weapons, which aren't slashy & pokey and still are a very decent choice, ie FoA and for a starter game Easthaven. I won't consider Crom sh..erm Feayr a good weapon, as all it does is to set your str to 25 and has very low base damage anyway. And the special sucks too.

For a pure cleric you are right though.
    Well, yes, I think we were talking mostly about pure clerics :) I sort of played Anomen in my party in a similar fashion; compared with pure cleric he's almost a different kind of beast because of his Fighter levels and his access to things like extra hit points and weapon skills.

And I like Crom Faeyr. The damage is really nothing to sneeze at! Its base die damage is 2d4... but it has +3, +5 electrical. So at minimum, the weapon by itself is dealing 10 damage. And, since anyone who wields it has their Strength automatically bumped to 25, that's an additional +14 damage bonus. So, AT MINIMUM, Crom Faeyr is dealing at least 24 damage per hit, even on a crap dice roll. A *more* than decent weapon for a cleric -- though, I should say, I never ever use it as my cleric's weapon. For purely RP/flavor reasons, I always make sure it goes to a dwarf -- either Korgan, or to my Charname (if I happen to be playing a dwarf at the time).
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Darn, I totally forgot the +5 electricity, which is missing in the description.
    But on the other hand, you have girdles ranging from 19 to 22 STR, so the difference from the highest to Crom F. is a mere +4 DAM bonus.
    FoA+5 kicks in with at least 17 damage on a shitty roll (without STR)....and thanks to free action pnp mod doesn't prevent haste.

Though in my first BG2 games and for RP reasons too, Korgan was very happy to wield it :P

And about pure Clerics, I often read that Viconia 'kicks' ass...oddly I never experienced it in my games, might be the limitation to only 1 ApR. It's also a waste to give her warhammers like crom feayr.

I personally prefer as dual fighter/cleric otherwise or generally 'healer' played by me. BGEE was just sort of steppingstone for me, specially to the insane WIS boost, you can acquire there. Sadly I could never recover my old BG1 saves and my laziness prevented me from playing TuTu...

And for the topic, my only "healer" was Branwen, yet she was usually busy casting silence, buffs and alike - it's just easier to hammer your healing pot. The few spells they are restricted to thanks to the level limitation makes it hard to consider them as healer in BGEE.
    Murkve said:

I think I may just have to try a Fighter to see what its all about. I've tried various combat classes, but never a pure Fighting Kit. At least, not for very long. Always felt it was a bit boring as a PC, which is why I opted for Pallies or Priests instead. :)
    oh, you are right, fighters in themselves are an extraordinarily dull... go forward, hit enemy in face until dead. repeat. meh.

...however, when combined with a cleric or something else, it all changes for the better. try a berserker 3 -> cleric (at least in BGEE), or a ranger/cleric multi, and there goes the whole dullness of fighters, without taking away their asskickery - there's a reason why fighter multis/duals are among the most loved classes :)

and if you're feeling up the challenge (or yearning for something different), try fighter/mage/thief, aka the most varied and interesting class of all... at least by BG2, in BGEE they don't quite have the same kick, but are cool nonetheless.

@Sixheadeddog: if it takes four of them to put out the same hurt as a single fighter, well... I certainly wouldn't call that "effective". however, I can agree with @CaptRory, despite the hitpoint differences (AC tends to be more important anyway), even single classed clerics are quite solid at protecting weaker party members - though I wouldn't use them as "main" tanks, mostly because I expect my tanks to not just work as meatshield, but also put out *a lot* of pain.
    Yeah~ I don't use them for main tanks. But sometimes there are too many guys for your fighter-types to stop them all. And the next guy up to the plate is going to be the cleric with platmail and a giant shield, not the rogue or squishy wizard.