Skip to content

Dual/Multiclass proficiency

ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
Based on this topic I've decided to report this.
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13547/dualmulticlass-questions#latest

1. If I create a multiclass fighter/mage he can have maximum two proficiency points/weapon. If you dual class your fighter to a mage and surpassed the fighter level you can keep the higher points of course BUT you can still give more points like you where a fighter which is funny considering that your character is now only practicing wizardry.

2. If you created a fighter, gave for example two points to daggers, switched to mage and now you give one single point to daggers then (after surpassing the fighter level) you won't have you three points. Not even two you had as a fighter but ONE! So you will lose points.

Comments

• tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    edited December 2012
    that isnt a bug, is according to the rules.

Little explaination of the content:
    -you have a fighter with 2 Points in Daggers, means he has some special training for this weapon
    -now multiclass to a mage means you have NO access to ALL Skills from the first class until you reach with the mage a class higher than the fighter class
    -now you have a Mage with 1 Point in daggers, means he can use daggers without penality

-now come the point when the mage reach a higher Level, according to you he must get 3 Points what means he has get a lot training with this weapon, but the fighter only has get some training and the mage only can use the weapon without penality.
    So the right way is to choose for your dagger skill the class with the best skills in daggers, which is the fighter class with 2 Points in daggers.

Edit: but i think the best way would be if you get after mutliclassing access to the old weapon skills (but only this skills which are allowed in the new class)
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Seeing as this is a legacy from BG2, you should probably move tis to the Original BG2 Bugs forum.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    After a quick test, I found that in my game you don't lose proficiency. By that I mean:
    I made a fighter and specialized (two pips) in long swords. I then dual classed to a thief and became proficient (1 pip) in long swords. Upon regaining my fighter skills, I retained 2 pips in long swords, contrary to what the OP said would happen.
    ankheg said:

2. If you created a fighter, gave for example two points to daggers, switched to mage and now you give one single point to daggers then (after surpassing the fighter level) you won't have you three points. Not even two you had as a fighter but ONE! So you will lose points.

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    He said "after surpassing fighter level." he's talking of putting the second mage proficiency in dagger, after fighter reactivates. If you do this, you could add a pip to an already specialized/mastered weapon. Pretty common, f/t's use this a lot to get grandmastery.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    This is probably not worth fixing, it is not even a real exploit, just an interpretation of obscure rules.
    As it was part of BG2, and doesn't really break the game, it doesn't worth messing with.
    Just to introduce other bugs or cause some players complain :)
    i have missed the fact, that ankheg says after Leveling up he only has 1 Point but there should be 2 Points in daggers, so this is really a bug.

This is probably not worth fixing, it is not even a real exploit, just an interpretation of obscure rules.
    As it was part of BG2, and doesn't really break the game, it doesn't worth messing with.

i didnt like your way of thinking, sure there are many bugs which are more important than this, but to make BG:EE the best BG game ever, everything should reportet, even if it was an original bug from the BG2 engine or the original BG Game.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    tommy said:

i have missed the fact, that ankheg says after Leveling up he only has 1 Point but there should be 2 Points in daggers, so this is really a bug.

i didnt like your way of thinking, sure there are many bugs which are more important than this, but to make BG:EE the best BG game ever, everything should reportet, even if it was an original bug from the BG2 engine or the original BG Game.

Yeah, but what's one person's bug is other person's best feature.
    [edit]
    Hmm, i didn't see the part about 2 becoming 1 either :D
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited December 2012

tommy said:

I can live with the overriding problem, but maybe multiclass characters should have the same specialization. It would be logical since they are actually never cease to practice their fighter side. There were some good arguments in the original topic.
    edited December 2012

Ok this is something which can be discussed. Content should be related to the D&D rules or at least logical, than i am happy :)
    (for me this isnt logical, because you already learned how to use a weapon und after the class change you are unable to even use the same Weapon without penality) (Spells and skills which arent in the current class are another thing, because the char need to conzentrate on his new skills)

ankheg said:

if i didnt misinterpret this, its in the second phrase "Not even two you had as a fighter but ONE!"

edited December 2012
    tommy said:

Ok this is something which can be discussed. Content should be related to the D&D rules or at least logical, than i am happy :)
    (for me this isnt logical, because you already learned how to use a weapon und after the class change you are unable to even use the same Weapon without penality) (Spells and skills which arent in the current class are another thing, because the char need to conzentrate on his new skills)

ankheg said:

if i didnt misinterpret this, its in the second phrase "Not even two you had as a fighter but ONE!"

Yarp. Sorry I can really express myself in english. Not to well anyway. I tested it with BG1. But Imoen's original BG2 stats are a good example too. She's got 4 points while she could have 5. The problem is that in PnP these rules were optional. Overriding is a problem all right, but perhaps it needs a lot of reprograming I don't know. But giving the multiclass characters the same oppurtunity isn't a big deal. In bg1 as far as I remember both of them could get only two points.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    BG1 didn't allow it, and was actually following the letter of the rule in PnP for using proficiencies and Specialization.

So no, there is no excusable reason for this to exist in EE. It happened in BG2 due a F up on their part that they never got around to fixing (similar to how ToB F'd up Ranger dual-classing compared to SoA, which EE has inherited), like a lot of other things, since it wasn't a game-breaking bug and they couldn't spare the time for it.
    So the bug is still standing. Maybe one day...