Skip to content

Request for Hard Mode

ZemeZeme Member Posts: 19
Let me start by stating the problems.

One thing that I do in baldur's gate is that I can't accept any other outcome of a battle than perfect win with no one in the party dying and using absolute minimum of consumable items such as potions and wands. If something goes bad in the battle I simply load and try again using the same tactic and hoping for better rolls. Or another example is when I'm playing wild mage. I save and then repeatedly cast [that one wild magic spell] and load until I get mordenkainen's sword which then makes the battle easy. There is never need to go to church and pay for resurrection. Now there are multiple other occassions I could list but I believe you get the point already.

Now this might not be problem for you guys as I'm a stupid guy who can't settle for anything but perfection. If this is the case simply ignore my thread.

Now what im suggesting is that there was a hard mode button added to the gameplay options that would limit saving the game somehow. Perhaps making autosave the only possible save? This would need some more autosave's added though, perhaps to every load screen. But that is just the first thing that came to my mind and is no real fix. A better solution would be to have fixed save points throughout the game but this would require tremendous amount of work for someone to figure out which would be the perfect positions for them. Unless a lot of people feel the same way as I do we can probably forget that.

So dear forums users what do you think? Does this need attention of devs? How would you implement it? Thank you for reading my post.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    People have requested that something like an Ironman mode be added to the game:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/4992/#Comment_4992
  • ZemeZeme Member Posts: 19
    That actually sounds really good, thanks for the link. There are many problems with that kind of mod as well that come to mind though. This is not a mod for someone who is interested in actually finishing the game. While that mod would too be amazing to have as an option its not quite what I was looking for.
    Didn't work at 3am but new try and last hope bumb.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    A mode where you can only save your game in towns or other designated safe areas would be nice!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    A Heart of Fury mode like IWD's would be nice, if they could do something like that.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Any sort of "Hard Mode" should add Physical Resistances and Magical resistances. Therefore there wouldn't be a need to modify hit points. But would have to be careful not to make certain creatures physically or magically immune on account of difficulty.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    edited July 2012
    Linkamus said:

A mode where you can only save your game in towns or other designated safe areas would be nice!

Back to this idea - you'd have to make it so you *could* save in a dungeon, but that it forced you to stop playing if you did. Sort of like the owl statues in majora's mask, if any of you have played that. Once you load your game, it deletes that temporary save file. You can only make permanent save files in towns or other safe places. This would allow you to quit playing at any given time and not lose your progress.
    Linkamus said:

Back to this idea - you'd have to make it so you *could* save in a dungeon, but that it forced you to stop playing if you did. Sort of like the owl statues in majora's mask, if any of you have played that. Once you load your game, it deletes that temporary save file. You can only make permanent save files in towns or other safe places. This would allow you to quit playing at any given time and not lose your progress.

Quite brilliant. I like that a lot. This would still allow load spamming for fights that happen outside dungeons (or very close to entrance) but regardless it would still be very awesome option to have. It doesn't sound too hard to implement this way either as there are not so many zones that have to be marked 'safe'. Really hoping to see this in game.
  • RasmusRasmus Member Posts: 16
    I fully support this. I also hope the BG tactics mod would be included in options natively, since it is so highly acclaimed.