Skip to content

Advice welcome for my party.

Hi Guys,
I bought the game when it was first released, but did not have much time to play. Now I'm up and running and am trying to think about what the end composition of my party will be.
My main is a pure fighter (18/96, 18, 18, 10, 12, 10), I then have Imoen, Jaheira, Kagain and Neera atm. I am planning to get Edwin, boot Kagain for Minsc and then get Yeslick for Jaheira. I usually run good-aligned parties, but Edwin is a must in my opinion. I would like to see however how well He works in conjunction with Neera. So my first question is: will a 2 mages party be worth it? I must confess, I usually finished the game back in the old days, with only Edwin as arcane spell caster, but I was wondering about Neera + Edwin.
Also, I met Dorn at the Friendly Arm Inn, but he wouldn't join my party at that moment. Without spoiling anything, do you think I can manage to get him in my party later on? Would it work? I usually dump Kagain for Minsc, and later Minsc for Ajantis, so the question is: is Dorn better than Ajantis, keeping in mind that my main would in any case be the best fighter of the party?
I have finished the game more times that I could count in the past, but this is the very first time I'm playing the EE. I will likely encounter Dorn later on in the game, I have no idea when and where (and that's fine by me), but I would like some advice on whether it is worth to keep him or to concentrate on Minsc/Ajantis.
Thank you for your time.

Comments

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @Moradin You are correct in thinking you will meet Dorn later on and by then you will be able to get him to join your party. I say this because I was very confused when I first met him and he wouldn't join.

Whether or not Dorn is better than Ajantis... From a powerplay point of view yes I think he is. Which one I like best? Haven't actually played with Dorn yet so couldn't tell you.

I like Neera's personality and voice acting so I have her along. Neera however isn't all that good of a mage especially when compared to Edwin. The random factor is very annoying unless you rely on a lot of save/load.

Mages aren't all that good in bg1 or BG:EE. They truly shine in bg2 and beyond but that doesn't really matter when it comes to BG:EE. Personally I wouldn't go with 2 mages.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Dorn is a beast (pun :P)especially damage wise, he only lack cons which can be overcome with potions of fortitude. He dont need some enchanted gear like Kagain or Ajantis, has a good charisma like Ajantis so he can be the leader. And you met him pretty early if you just continue main quest even before Ajantis. BTW Ajantis and Dorn not exactly gets along :)
    Having Neera and Edwin in same party is a bit overkill but you cannot go wrong with arcane casters :)

I for one, dont like Jaheria a lot and not picking them.(Only completed game once with them which was my good cannon party for BG2) I can recommend you Branwen instead, she just dont have thac0 like Jaheria.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Thanks @cyberarmy and @Lifat for the reply and advice. I just encountered Dorn when moving to the Nashkel mines. Since I was still not sure what to do, I just reloaded. Now I have Minsc, Jaheira, Edwin, Imoen and Neera in my party. As I said, I will change Jaheira for Branwen first and then for Yeslick or Viconia (later on). As for the Ajantis/Dorn, I think I will kick Minsc and give Dorn a try at least till I meet Ajantis. The paladin's progression in BG1 is very slow, so usually wait till my party is lev 5-6 to get him. For Edwin/Neera, I have to say I have the feeling that Neera is very very weak, 4 HP as soon as I met her. now she's got 7. I still like the idea of having 2 mages in the party, but till now Neera died more times than anyone else.
    Thanks for the replies and I'll keep you posted :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Two mages can make use of all those wands more readily. I only have my own wild mage (don't have Neera add-on on my ipad) and all those wands just cluster in my inventory. I can only use one wand in one round so it is not enough. Two casters can make them work faster. Umm you may use a bard for this purpose, though.

Keep Neera and Edwin away from enemies, especially archers, and abuse mirror image when you can.

And yeah I think Dorn may even surpass your own char at melee, he is just that good! Good at killing things, I mean. He is bad to the core otherwise (neutral evil)
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @Moradin

There's some humorous gameplay if you have Edwin in your party when you first get Neera...BUT if you take Neera in he will leave the party after this exchange. (it's worth seeing once with a reload since it's rather funny)

If you boot Edwin, take Neera....and then take Edwin in...he does stay awhile, but eventually for me, he still left in the same manner about two days later.

He's not supposed to be in the same party with her since she's being hunted by other Red Wizards of Thay, you can try it though, maybe it'll let you if it glitches the other way.

I prefer Neera to Edwin and pretty much everyone who isn't Imoen.

With your stats maybe Dual to Thief or Mage in BG2EE?
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    @lunar @ Debaser. Thanks for the tip guys, you convinced me in trying and keeping both Edwin and Neera. I hope they will work well together, it would be a pain to keep both and invest time and resources in them when one leaves after a while. As for Dorn, I think I'll leave Minsc in Nashkel and get him aboard.
    About dual, I for sure won't dual to mage, my int is just too low. I might dual to thief, since Imoen won't be available for the first part of the game.
    Last question: I haven't followed the forums lately, but I read from your comments that BG2:EE is out. Is that correct? I checked the Beamdog downloader but was not able to see BG2. How can I get that copy? I won't need it right now, I still have to enjoy BG1, but I will of course get BG2: EE when the time comes.
    Thanks to everyone.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I had Edwin before I got Neera. He left as he is suppose to. I then spoke to him and he rejoined and everyone was happy for the rest of the game.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Eh? BG2:EE is not out. They sure are working on it, though. May be ready in July or so if we are lucky. If not, definitely at the end of this year (crosses fingers)
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    Moradin said:

@lunar @ Debaser. Thanks for the tip guys, you convinced me in trying and keeping both Edwin and Neera. I hope they will work well together, it would be a pain to keep both and invest time and resources in them when one leaves after a while. As for Dorn, I think I'll leave Minsc in Nashkel and get him aboard.
    About dual, I for sure won't dual to mage, my int is just too low. I might dual to thief, since Imoen won't be available for the first part of the game.
    Last question: I haven't followed the forums lately, but I read from your comments that BG2:EE is out. Is that correct? I checked the Beamdog downloader but was not able to see BG2. How can I get that copy? I won't need it right now, I still have to enjoy BG1, but I will of course get BG2: EE when the time comes.
    Thanks to everyone.

Oh no I never said BG2EE was out...but I am doing analysis of weapons and some other aspects of the game for when it does.

I think of playing this game like it's a big saga, you can do runs but I personally prefer planning characters who will go on to the sequel.