Skip to content

Ankheg Help

Hi there, anyone have any tactics to beat an ankheg or two at level one? Cheese welcome

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Stack that AC and hope for good rolls... Or blind it.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    certus said:

Hi there, anyone have any tactics to beat an ankheg or two at level one? Cheese welcome

Do something else for a while? Really, Ankhegs will fall easier when you've gained a few levels. There's no need to face them so early.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You can buy and use scrolls above your level. A scroll of mirror image or something equally beefy might let you tank a ankheg long enough to kill it.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited January 2013
    Just move alot before they manage to spit on you or whatever they do. Attack then move and let them bury, then attack again... Try to lure one at a time and don't get hit cuz you probably already know their damage is a nasty one. It is easier with missle weapons.
  • EscapedGoatEscapedGoat Member Posts: 3
    Lots of SPOILERS below regarding item locations:

If you can wear plate and be proficient in a weapon you can fight them straight up (tried and tested with plain fighter dual wielding long swords at lvl 1, 18/91 str)

1. Get ring of protection from the hidden stash in the very first map
    2. Get the ankheg plate from the hidden stash in nashkel
    3. Get a helmet, weapon of choice (need a couple, they break!), maybe a shield from a shop and you should be able to kill one before it kills you (may have to reload if you get unlucky, it's not 100 percent certain at lvl 1 due to low hp)
    4. Heal with potions or the temple healing, repeat as many times as you can stomach. If you rest in the cave they will spawn indefinitely, taking you to whatever lvl you desire. Once you get lvl 2-3 (only 4-5 kills) you get near a 100% success rate.

If you are still having difficulties, i suppose you could find the hidden ring of wizardry and sell it, buy yourself a +1 weapon and +1 shield? That should def. Do the trick :) healing spell is a plus.

Haven't tried thief or mage at lvl 1 yet so no advice there.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Another option is to buy the Wand of Sleep from High Hedge (~2k) and use it on the ankhegs...
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Level 1 priest spell command. Works every time and they are realy easy to kill with it.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Normal sleep spell knocks them out, too! Then you need to kill them ASAP or they will wake (duration:5 rounds per level)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    A cleric with a Tower Shield to scout them out, a mage to cast sleep from out of range, with the cleric casting Command on them at first possible chance followed by Sanctuary just in case they save against Sleep.

Protection from Acid spells work rather well from memory.
  • certuscertus Member Posts: 52
    Sleep and command. Cheers I will give that a go. Thx
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    High Ac (around 6 or 7) is a pretty good defence.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Be sure to cast your sleep spell when they are above the ground and attacking, they are not affected when they are underground-travelling IIRC. Also, a cleric with a big shield is the best tank since they tend to have better save vs death, which Ankheg spit requires for half damage.
    Great thanks lunar. Viccy seems like the go then on the way back from picking her up, which is why I will tackle some straight away and get some cash for them.cheers
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    certus said:

Great thanks lunar. Viccy seems like the go then on the way back from picking her up, which is why I will tackle some straight away and get some cash for them.cheers

Vicky can only carry a small shield, she doesn't have the strength without potions/ogre gloves for a bigger one, though that still adds -1 AC vs. missiles (or -2 if you find the +1 small shield that can be obtained early on in one of the new encounters...)

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Viconia is my preferred choice for the Ogre Gloves so she can wear the good armor. All the fighter guys should already have good strength and most of them need the dex gloves or could use the gloves that boost THAC0 and/or damage.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013

If you can wear plate and be proficient in a weapon you can fight them straight up (tried and tested with plain fighter dual wielding long swords at lvl 1, 18/91 str)

3. Get a helmet, weapon of choice (need a couple, they break!), maybe a shield from a shop and you should be able to kill one before it kills you (may have to reload if you get unlucky, it's not 100 percent certain at lvl 1 due to low hp)
    4. Heal with potions or the temple healing, repeat as many times as you can stomach. If you rest in the cave they will spawn indefinitely, taking you to whatever lvl you desire. Once you get lvl 2-3 (only 4-5 kills) you get near a 100% success rate.

If you are still having difficulties, i suppose you could find the hidden ring of wizardry and sell it, buy yourself a +1 weapon and +1 shield? That should def. Do the trick :) healing spell is a plus.

Just a few notes on this. The Ankheg armor in Naskal registers as +2 (at least in Classic + Tutu). You can't wear + ring of protection with it.

Second, if you are going to all the trouble of heading down to Naskal for the armor, why not stop by and get Greywulf's Long Sword. That will give you cold damage as well as weapon damage. And won't break.

Third, be really careful if you are "Pulling" the Ankheg. The thing that will kill you is triggering a second. Then you are really hosed.

Also, Sleep might not work. Anything 4Hd or above ignores sleep entirely. Not sure where Ankheg fall in the scheme of things, but it MIGHT be too high level to be effected.

But at the end of the day, what are you trying to achieve by attacking Ankhegs at 1st level? are you trying to power through XP? there are better and safer methods to do that. Look around for the quests they give you in Friendly Arm Inn and in Bergost. With a limited party they alone will almost get you to level. (find the book, talk down the grieving father, fetch the boots and bottle, etc...). If done with only 1 or 2 companions, you can easily get a thief or fighter to level 2.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    @The_spyder ankheg plate is no longer flagged as magical in EE.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ah, that would be it. I am playing Classic via Tutu. But that actually makes it a lot more powerful. Is it still AC1?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Ah, that would be it. I am playing Classic via Tutu. But that actually makes it a lot more powerful. Is it still AC1?

Yup. There was actually a fairly long debate a while back over whether or not making it non-magical made it overpowered.
    CaptRory said:

Viconia is my preferred choice for the Ogre Gloves so she can wear the good armor. All the fighter guys should already have good strength and most of them need the dex gloves or could use the gloves that boost THAC0 and/or damage.

Same for me, also as Slings get bonus damage from Strength (as do throwing axes and daggers in BGEE), high strength helps Viccy in both melee and ranged and allows her to wear full plate (though I usually just leave her in the Ankeg armour and just get her a larger shield when I get the ogre gloves, she already has amazing AC anyway, due to her Dex)

Just a few notes on this. The Ankheg armor in Naskal registers as +2 (at least in Classic + Tutu). You can't wear + ring of protection with it.

Second, if you are going to all the trouble of heading down to Naskal for the armor, why not stop by and get Greywulf's Long Sword. That will give you cold damage as well as weapon damage. And won't break.

Third, be really careful if you are "Pulling" the Ankheg. The thing that will kill you is triggering a second. Then you are really hosed.

Also, Sleep might not work. Anything 4Hd or above ignores sleep entirely. Not sure where Ankheg fall in the scheme of things, but it MIGHT be too high level to be effected.

But at the end of the day, what are you trying to achieve by attacking Ankhegs at 1st level? are you trying to power through XP? there are better and safer methods to do that. Look around for the quests they give you in Friendly Arm Inn and in Bergost. With a limited party they alone will almost get you to level. (find the book, talk down the grieving father, fetch the boots and bottle, etc...). If done with only 1 or 2 companions, you can easily get a thief or fighter to level 2.
    Like another poster said, the ankheg plate is not magical in bg:ee :) I did not know about this longsword, thanks for the tip! (i never played bg until bg:ee)

In my first playthrough, i think it took something like 5 hours to get lvl 2 in a full party. I found the slow pace at the start and the randomness of battles with low hp a bit boring, so killing a few ankhegs at the start is a fun way to either beef up for a solo run, or to simply skip the part of the game where you are running around with 14 hp and don't have many fun abilities yet. Each ankheg is allmost 1000 exp, so it's a fast way to get some early levels.

For me, the fun starts around lvl 4 where hp pools are a little larger and you have gained at least some fun spells/abilities. Not to mention if you dual class, how boring it is to wait for your first class levels to return - much better to use 10 minutes to kill some ankhegs to get your levels back.
    Thanx for all the tips everybody.

@the_spyder i guess i have finished bg1 quite a few times when it first come out. I am just planning my new playthrough but i always take viccy through entire series as i like her stats and romance and always play cg character. I always try to pick her up first asap by staying off roads and roleplay missing out on friendly arm inn, reliase baldurs gate is closed and finish areas around nashkel instead. I have never been able to beat ankhegs at level one before and was just seeing
    If it was possible. If i could get that new buckler from selling shells and perhaps new ankheg armor as well as a few levels, i thought i would give it a go and could be fun as well. Seems it may be possible so i will give it a go methinks.
  • LaniartyLaniarty Member Posts: 7
    If you really want to power through some levels early, go to the basalisk map and kill a few of them. Just make sure you either bring a caster that has Protection from Petrification memerised, or a few mirror potions. If you solo them you can get 2-3 levels or so in a matter of minutes.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    An ankegh always attacks the first person it sees so make sure no one as Imoen, Xan, Neera, or other low-health party members go first.
    I use 2 or 3 close combat charachters and the rest just attack or casts spells from a range
    Also make sure the one being attacked ALWAYS has more than 15 life points 'cause with a lucky shot an Ankegh can kill almost anybody
    Laniarty said:

If you really want to power through some levels early, go to the basalisk map and kill a few of them. Just make sure you either bring a caster that has Protection from Petrification memerised, or a few mirror potions. If you solo them you can get 2-3 levels or so in a matter of minutes.

Yes, there is 24k exp to be had in that map by killing all the basilisks and the crazy gnome wizard :) befriending Khorax the ghoul is a great idea too, seeing as he is immune to basilisk gaze.

His friendship will last long enough to just about clear them all. I'm not sure if you need to do the majority of the damage yourself or just the killing blow, to get the exp, but he is very handy since he also paralyses enemies (and pretty funny too, would make a nice party npc).

If you have trouble with ankhegs at lvl 1, getting these 24k exp first will get all classes to lvl 5 solo, at which point you should be able to solo ankhegs really no matter what class :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Cleric Spell Animate Dead is quite useful against basilisks (or at least it was)

Still is

• MurkveMurkve Member Posts: 12
    Grab Neera down in Beregost, teach her Sleep, find an Ankheg and cast it, then wail on it. If they make the saving throw, reload and repeat. I've honestly defeated Ankhegs as a level one mage, solo with a sling and a familiar. It's a great way to shoot up a couple levels.

If you and Neera don't cut it, grab Ajantis additionally for a bit of muscle.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Better than killing Ankhegs farm winter wolves using the belt of antipode that you get off Gorion. Winter wolves can't do any damage to you while you are wearing it, and they give the same xp as a Ankheg (500xp) and their pelt can be sold for the same gold that Ankheg shells can be sold for (500 to the mercents shop in Nashkal).

Rest in the Nashkal Mine area or travel a lot between Nashkal and the Nashkal Mines to find them.