Skip to content

Export/Import trick

saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
One thing I LOVED doing in BG/IWD games was to export a character once they were ~ level 3 and restart the game with the exported version. A bit of a cheat I know, but it was nice playing the game 1-2 levels higher than the game expected.

Will this trick still work in the EE versions, especially the iPad version? Losing this functionality would almost be a deal-breaker for me as it was how I had so much fun with the games!

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Enter Obe's training hall. Strip all the gear you want, then export. Walk away with n sets of plate mail, small shields +1, and magic missile wands.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @saramakos

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do this.
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    I never thought of that training hall trick, thanks for the idea :)
    the actual abusability is not that high, they're alt versions of the base item that most stores won't buy. it just gives you a leg up on starting equipment
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Well, if I recall correctly the game scales to your toon's levels. Therefore restarting with exported toons is not cheating at all. I usually did and will do that with the main toon of my party of self-made toons - also kinda gives the leader a kinda "leader-ish" feeling when he is 2 or so levels higher then the rest at beginning :)
    Gridian said:

Well, if I recall correctly the game scales to your toon's levels. Therefore restarting with exported toons is not cheating at all. I usually did and will do that with the main toon of my party of self-made toons - also kinda gives the leader a kinda "leader-ish" feeling when he is 2 or so levels higher then the rest at beginning :)

Only random encounters scale. The scaling has basically no effect on early game when you'd be wandering into areas above your level most of the time, regardless.
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Aranneas said:

-snip-
    Only random encounters scale. The scaling has basically no effect on early game when you'd be wandering into areas above your level most of the time, regardless.

I see, thanks :)
    I SO can't wait to get myself immersed in that world again :)
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Didn't the level of NPCs you encounter scale? The first time you meet them, of course. Not if you leave them behind.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I personally hope they take out this trick in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale is fine since you have to make your whole party and things don't feel as unique, but Baldur's Gate feels a little cheap with this feature considering you have roll till oblivion to make the best character.
    Thels said:

Didn't the level of NPCs you encounter scale? The first time you meet them, of course. Not if you leave them behind.

Yes. But he's talking about the hostile game world. I suppose I probably should have confirmed this as well.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I personally hope they take out this trick in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale is fine since you have to make your whole party and things don't feel as unique, but Baldur's Gate feels a little cheap with this feature considering you have roll till oblivion to make the best character.
    If it's cheap to you, I have a simple solution. Don't do it.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    @wariisop To do that would A: Break compability with old char-files and B: Make multiplayer very iffy... Just imagine everyone having to recreate their chars when you start! Some of us take HOURS rolling out the stats we want :P
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    @Sarevokok

I keep forgetting how rabid fans can be when something is said about their game that they love, they seem to always respond with this, "well then don't use it" line if they have nothing else constructive to add.

With that said, I see that many are talking about increasing difficulty by playing with one character all the way through or using reduced NPC's. The only way this really starts happening is when importing becomes and issue, as the game is set to be played without importing. They could fix this by adding a HOF mode like IWD but it would only be beneficial if there were some kinda of reward for beating it on this difficulty.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    edited July 2012
    I just murderer that firebeard mage guy in the inn to start my character at lvl 2 or 3. Its sort of evil, I know. MUHAHAHAHAHA

Since I play Chaotic Good, I just excuse this as the first time my PC was overwhelmed by his "Heritage". Would also explain why hes always on the move, in the vast outdoors. Best to stay away from large crowds when you have murderous impulses.
    wariisop said:

@Sarevokok

I keep forgetting how rabid fans can be when something is said about their game that they love, they seem to always respond with this, "well then don't use it" line if they have nothing else constructive to add.

With that said, I see that many are talking about increasing difficulty by playing with one character all the way through or using reduced NPC's. The only way this really starts happening is when importing becomes and issue, as the game is set to be played without importing. They could fix this by adding a HOF mode like IWD but it would only be beneficial if there were some kinda of reward for beating it on this difficulty.

I don't particularly understand what's wrong with this approach. In single player, it's your own game. You play it the way you want to. If you enjoy it most by playing at a level that the early stage of the game is no longer challenging for you, then that's how you play it. If I enjoy it most by modifying the tactical difficulty to a far greater level than is originally available, then that's the way I play it. What a fascinating game where we both get to have our way.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Aranneas said:

wariisop said:

@Sarevokok

I don't particularly understand what's wrong with this approach. In single player, it's your own game. You play it the way you want to. If you enjoy it most by playing at a level that the early stage of the game is no longer challenging for you, then that's how you play it. If I enjoy it most by modifying the tactical difficulty to a far greater level than is originally available, then that's the way I play it. What a fascinating game where we both get to have our way.
    I agree with you... With the mind set he have it's almost like we should not have the right to mods the game to play as we like too
    Talvrae said:

Aranneas said:

wariisop said:

@Sarevokok

I agree with you... With the mind set he have it's almost like we should not have the right to mods the game to play as we like too
    You have every single right to mod it. But removing the import/export from the game by the game developers? No. Which is what was suggested. It's not a "rabid" mind set, it's a simple solution to a simple problem, plain as that. That "rabid" mind set here would be from you attacking me such as this. Don't want the game to be easy from importing/exporting? Don't do it. It's THAT simple. Cheers
    @sarevokok slight misquote I think. Talvrae shares my (and presumably your) position.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Aranneas said:

@sarevokok slight misquote I think. Talvrae shares my (and presumably your) position.

Indeed i do
    Aranneas said:

I just hit the "quote" button somewhere, was aimed at wariisop. I observed you two shared my same view on this matter.

• azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    i remember to play Icewind Dale with only _one_ character, get almost to the end of the game (where enemies were too strong) and then imported 5x myself :D
  • sodacanredactedsodacanredacted Member Posts: 5
    Is it confirmed that the beloved import/export feature will be forward-compatible with the enhanced editions of these games, so that we can use continue to use our old characters?
  • kraedkraed Member Posts: 60
    I don't really understand the import/export trick at all. You're cheating to gain extra items and/or experience that you shouldn't have. Why don't you just open the console and give the items to yourself at the start of the game? You get the exact same results, you're still cheating in the same way but it takes far less time. I thought this trick was only there for people that didn't know the console existed.
    I don't really understand the import/export trick at all. You're cheating to gain extra items and/or experience that you shouldn't have. Why don't you just open the console and give the items to yourself at the start of the game? You get the exact same results, you're still cheating in the same way but it takes far less time. I thought this trick was only there for people that didn't know the console existed.
    Easier to justify because you're using game mechanics that are not strictly classified as cheating. Thus, easier for some people to do without feeling bad about or ruining their immersion.
    Is it confirmed that the beloved import/export feature will be forward-compatible with the enhanced editions of these games, so that we can use continue to use our old characters?
    It is not. They've said they'll try to make it work but there's no guarantees at this point.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Because some people like to play the game again with their same character that they've grown attached to.
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    Aranneas said:

Easier to justify because you're using game mechanics that are not strictly classified as cheating. Thus, easier for some people to do without feeling bad about or ruining their immersion.

That is pretty much it. On the original version I have Gatekeeper but really don't like using it, but import/export I don't mind as much. I agree it is sort of like the difference between bending the rules and breaking them but so be it.