Skip to content

Spell thrust against the mighty Kharg

I have used the Spell Spellthrust against Kharg to remove the minor invulnerability that protect him, but the Spell didn't work.

Do anybody know if this is a bug or if Kharg is protected by the more powerfull globe of invulnerability?

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Not sure which Globe it is, but it might indeed be Globe of Invulnerability. I checked a save where I was waiting for his spell buffs to end, and it says he is "Shielded." So I guess he's using Spell Shield?

I admit that I usually cheese this battle and let his protections wear out before I attack. (With the SCS mod installed he'll come get ya if you try this, btw.)
  • EstarriolEstarriol Member Posts: 22
    Tried spelltrhust twice if he had also cast a "spell shield" to protect his buffspells. Didn't work either, so he's not using Spell Shield.

I cast Sunfire on him, wich dealt damage. but every other Spell had no effect. So it has to be the Globe of Invulnerability i guess.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    try a level 4 spell on him like confusion/icestorm or secret word.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    I've checked Kahrk in NearInfinity. He casts indeed Minor Globe of Invulnerability, but he also has a not droppable amulet that gives him several immunities including immunity to spells of level 3 or lower.
    Erg said:

I've checked Kahrk in NearInfinity. He casts indeed Minor Globe of Invulnerability, but he also has a not droppable amulet that gives him several immunities including immunity to spells of level 3 or lower.

Seriously? As the minor Globe vanquished i could harm him with my Spells. And i killed him with a magic missle or a Flame Arrow...
    edited January 2013
    @Estarriol

You're right, I double checked and the effects of the amulet only last one turn. I don't know why this was implemented as it is, instead of just giving him Globe of Invulnerability. I didn't check the duration before because not droppable objects are usually used to give permanent immunities (e.g. Liches in BG2).
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,180
    edited January 2013
    He chunks plenty fast whatever it was... (Archers take down his Mirror Images while tanks tear him apart. Two rounds max).

All I know is he isn't using Stone Skin. Silly ogre.
    Update: It looks like Kahrk's amulet mimics all the effects of Minor Globe of Invulnerability, including the visual ones, for one turn. However, these individual effects are attached to an object and that may explain why they are not removed by Spell Thrust. However, it is still not clear to me whether this was implemented on purpose or not.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Spell Thrust strips spells of secondary type (1), but since Kahrk gets his via an item no secondary type is set (and hence Spell Thurst does nothing). I'll see if I can find some way around this so that he actually has a proper MGoI instead of the close-but-not-quite one.
    edited January 2013
    In the original Bg there was no Spell thrust. It was pointless if his globe was removable by spellthrust or not. So i think this was a way to simulate a contingency Spell and making the battle more chalenging without implementing a level 13+ Ogre mage. And If the ogre would use 1 round to cast the Globe, he would be dead before he finished his Spell.
    Well, I can now take down his automatic MGoI with Spell Thrust...

...at which point he casts MGoI since it's the top of his script.
    edited January 2013
    @CamDawg

Just curious. How did you do it? Did you replace the Amulet with a MGoI in a contingency? Will this be in the next patch?
    Replaced all of the existing effects with a 146 opcode invoking the globe directly, at a level 10 casting to keep the duration equal (10 rounds) to the existing effects. A second effect deletes the amulet after one second so that you won't get a bunch of effects stacking up through reloads.
    CamDawg said:

Well, I can now take down his automatic MGoI with Spell Thrust...

...at which point he casts MGoI since it's the top of his script.

Now this is fixed as well. A few scripts didn't have basic checks on protection spells, i.e. not casting Mirror Image if you were already under Mirror Image.
    Erg said:

Will this be in the next patch?

Missed this, sorry. I think it's too late to go through QA for the next one, so hopefully the one after that--for both the ring and the script checks.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Arrows +1 in his face resolves also all your problems ^^

No need for magical dispell :-)